Why I'm skipping on the SPRINT NOTE 3 and why you should too.

seoulbrova

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I understand if you're in a LTE area and you want to argue that you don't need a triband phone. If you fall into that category this isn't for you.

I have been researching this phone for the past year and was hoping for the best. Even when there were rumors about the phone missing triband capabilities, I figured we still had a chance that Sprint was going to do the right thing and that was the reason for the delayed announcement.

Well today is the day Im done with Sprint. If they weren't releasing triband phones then fine, I can accept it, but when midrange devices like the Galaxy Mega and S4 Mini are coming out with it, this is a slap in the face to the consumer. It's another slap when you consider the extra $50 charge. I WOULD HAVE GLADLY paid the extra $50 since it's a 32GB phone if it had triband, but this is a joke.

Some people will argue that triband isnt necessary right now but I beg to differ. I get LTE and you know what? It stops the minute I get in my garage. This is because the single band is terrible at building penetration. A triband phone would eventually alleviate that problem, even if it took Sprint a year to finish upgrading their network.

So in essence, we know Sprint has the technology (S4 mini, Mega, and G2) but they didn't bother incorporating it into their now most expensive device?

A rep will argue that $50 more up front is okay because we pay less than we would with other providers. This is true but if the data is useless then what's the point? Paying an extra $50 to eat crud is still eating crud.

Huge sales of this phone will just reinforce to Sprint that they can sell a crippled device on a crippled network for more $ than anyone else and still make money.

awesomedeals88

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Sprint network sucks. I been with tmobile for 1 year now and im an extremely extremely satisfied customer. Even hpsa+ provides me with faster internet speeds than sprints regular 4g. 4G Lte w/ tmobile makes it a whole lot faster. 20-25meg download and 10meg upload.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
T mobile is fine in the cities, outside of the cities, not so much. Before anyone leaves their current provider, check the real world coverage of the new provider.

For me, Sprint is the best provider in my area which is many miles from a big city. And the other night, while lying in bed, 4G popped up on my Note 2. And I am at least 5 miles from the nearest Sprint tower, in a valley and over a couple hills.

I'll look at the Note 3 for my husband and use the 14 day return period to make my decision.

Sent via Note II

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you about their Note 3 not tri-band enabled. 1900mhz LTE speeds is amazing outdoors, but once your inside? It seriously does suck... 800mhz LTE speeds is what we need for indoors usage. Even with the new 2500mhz LTE (acquired from clearwire) will be out to use soon. Why be stuck with one frequency speed when multiple options are coming online? I was hopeful for this phone, but I do not want to corner myself with one LTE band. I'll wait for the nexus 5 and further base my decision from there.

Gary Friderichsohn

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I think that I too, at least for now, will be skipping the Note 3 on Sprint. That $349.99 quickly becomes $420 when sales tax and activation fee is included. All for a 3G (in my area for the foreseeable future) phone and with a commitment for two years, And to add insult to injury the same phone is $199.99 plus tax at TM. You show me the LTE Sprint and we'll talk.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about you, but I'm rocking a single band sprint s3 and get LTE all over my college campus, whether I'm inside or not.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
i have lte in part of my area, but either way i wont be able to, use triband until mid next year so i wont have a prob with it. Most people wont have probs with it either.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No better feeling than consistently pulling 50mbps down, and 20mbps up on AT&T :D

I'll take my 30 Mbit down / 15-20 up on T-Mobile.. No better feeling than that speed and being able to use it as much as I want. I'm at 34 GB at the moment :).

To the OP I understand the frustration. We have LTE for Sprint in Jacksonville but usually once in a building it instantly drops. It's one of the reasons I left Sprint (there is a list). Also yeah it is odd they want to charge $50 more than anyone else for no reason (that I can think of).

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
They throttle unlimited though so not exactly unlimited. Have to hit 5 GB :).

LOL yeah, I found this out the hard way when I was still using my iPhone 4. Luckily, I'm on wifi most of the time anyway.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
LOL yeah, I found this out the hard way when I was still using my iPhone 4. Luckily, I'm on wifi most of the time anyway.

Yep. I had AT&T before going to Sprint then T-Mobile. Left AT&T because of that throttle on the unlimited.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Sprint network sucks. I been with tmobile for 1 year now and im an extremely extremely satisfied customer. Even hpsa+ provides me with faster internet speeds than sprints regular 4g. 4G Lte w/ tmobile makes it a whole lot faster. 20-25meg download and 10meg upload.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

A year ago I would have agreed with you. In fact, they booted me for excessive roaming in the beginning of 2012 (hello, Roam Control) so I jumped around various prepaids for awhile. I never found a good prepaid carrier I could live with and Sprint showed 4G coverage here finally so I decided to give them another go (they only put me on a few months' ban/probation). 4G was a let down but Sprint 3G isn't so bad anymore. 3G is back to where it was when we all signed up initially...at least here in my area and where I generally go. I can't speak for the entire nation.

As far as 4G goes, it's hit or miss and more miss than hit. I get it here, sortof, but it easily drops back to 3G again. I can get 4G when I dock the phone on the left side of my desk. If I move the dock to the right side of my desk, I lose it. In town, on the other side of the highway, it's fine. I get it and keep hold of it in a good friend's apartment.

Now, if you want to compare e-peens then yeah Sprint isn't going to win any bragging rights but it's not the tortuous worse-than-dialup that it used to be. Latency is low and bandwidth is good enough to accomplish most of what you'd want to do. I just can't stream high quality videos on 3G. They'll come but not in the high definition you get on 4G.

So yeah, YMMV.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They throttle unlimited though so not exactly unlimited. Have to hit 5 GB :).

I am pretty happy with Verizon

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380113516269.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380113516269.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 875

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty happy with Verizon

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Oh I know. You do realize I was talking about him being on AT&T unlimited that throttles right? T-Mobile doesn't throttle :).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-25-08-41-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-25-08-41-21.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 169

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Now, if you want to compare e-peens then yeah Sprint isn't going to win any bragging rights but it's not the tortuous worse-than-dialup that it used to be. Latency is low and bandwidth is good enough to accomplish most of what you'd want to do. I just can't stream high quality videos on 3G. They'll come but not in the high definition you get on 4G.

So yeah, YMMV.

It is dial up for alot of people.. The Ymmv definitely applies to that statement... Just sounds like your area is fixed :).