Voice mail update??

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I got a message on my note 3, as my dad did on his note 2 with an actual update (a few minutes apart from each other) that Voicemail was being updated on 11/20 and that we needed to redo voicemail greetings and pins. Anyone get this yet?

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I got a message on my note 3, as my dad did on his note 2 with an actual update (a few minutes apart from each other) that Voicemail was being updated on 11/20 and that we needed to redo voicemail greetings and pins. Anyone get this yet?

I got a pretty substantial update to the voicemail app itself a few days ago, and that included a couple of popups about how you can "customize" things now, but I didn't notice anything stating that I had to re-setup my voicemail greeting or anything. Was this an app update, or a firmware update notification?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I got a pretty substantial update to the voicemail app itself a few days ago, and that included a couple of popups about how you can "customize" things now, but I didn't notice anything stating that I had to re-setup my voicemail greeting or anything. Was this an app update, or a firmware update notification?

It didn't say. It came as an instant message. My wife just told me she got this message as well....But none of us (except for my dad) has gotten an update to anything. If I go into the voicemail app and check for updates, it returns as an error.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
It didn't say. It came as an instant message. My wife just told me she got this message as well....But none of us (except for my dad) has gotten an update to anything. If I go into the voicemail app and check for updates, it returns as an error.

IDK on why you're getting an error. I will warn that the new voice mail app has ads, which is *highly* disappointing. You might be better off not updating, so long as the old app continues to work.

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
IDK on why you're getting an error. I will warn that the new voice mail app has ads, which is *highly* disappointing. You might be better off not updating, so long as the old app continues to work.

Mine asked if I wanted a couple of features for ads, I just said no.

Posted via Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I wonder. I had it set to auto update and I guess it updated itself. I do pay the monthly 1.99 subscription for me and the wife...I guess doing that stops the ads cause I don't have any. Also, when I check for updates, it checks now and says no update available.

I think this ad crap is getting out of hand. I can understand an app you download, for free, should have ads to help pay the developer. But system apps having ads is total lunacy and I consider VVM to be a system app. I understand Google "gives" the OEM's Android and Google needs to somehow make money off the "free" OS but I PAY for the device. It's mine. Period. And if I don't want ads on my PAID device, there shouldn't be any...anywhere in the OS or system apps.

End rant/ :)

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I wonder. I had it set to auto update and I guess it updated itself. I do pay the monthly 1.99 subscription for me and the wife...I guess doing that stops the ads cause I don't have any. Also, when I check for updates, it checks now and says no update available.

I think this ad crap is getting out of hand. I can understand an app you download, for free, should have ads to help pay the developer. But system apps having ads is total lunacy and I consider VVM to be a system app. I understand Google "gives" the OEM's Android and Google needs to somehow make money off the "free" OS but I PAY for the device. It's mine. Period. And if I don't want ads on my PAID device, there shouldn't be any...anywhere in the OS or system apps.

End rant/ :)

Actually, this is Sprint's doing, not Google. The Voicemail app is not part of Android, but something Sprint adds to the phones. But I do *fully* agree that the ad thing has gotten out of hand. Maybe I misread a question and turned the ads on and am getting some new features. Maybe that means I can turn them off, cause I could care less about those features. But there is *no* reason I should have multiple little animated ads blinking all over an app installed by the carrier, that is required to use my phone.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Mine asked if I wanted a couple of features for ads, I just said no.

Posted via Android Central App

You are absolutely correct. I checked the app settings, and there was an option to turn off the ads. Guess I misread something and agreed to this during the update. Thanks for getting me to go look for a way to turn it off :)

It looks like they're offering some of the paid visual voice mail features for free, if you're willing to look at ads. That seems a *little* more reasonable. To turn them off, open the Voicemail app, hit the Menu key, then settings. About halfway down in the settings menu is an option that says "Display ads". Just uncheck that and the ads are gone.

At least they made it simple to undo what I accidentally did during the update, so I'll give them that.