Need Louder Calendar Event Alarm

anon(421311)

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
The calendar event alarms on my Galaxy Note 3 are all restful new-agey sounds and it seems impossible to adjust the volume. The result is that I miss appointments, as my phone gives only a subtle cough, instead of a loud alarm.

The ringtones on the calendar settings menu don't seem to be the same as the system ringtones, and I don't know how to add new calendar ringtones.

Also, there's no obvious way to turn up the volume for the calendar settings.

If anyone has solutions to these problems, I'd be very grateful.

I have rooted the phone, so replacing the Samsung-skinned calendar app might be an option, I suppose.

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I usually assign/find a louder sound as my notification. Have you tried Ringdroid? You can convert any sound into a notification, alarm or ringtone. There might be a better audio customizer out that can make sounds louder. I remember using Ringo to bump up the volume output on my Palm back in the day. I might look at that again. Btw: I do use business calender pro and still have a volume issue on notifications sounds.

Palm Treo line > BlackBerry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW the awesome & powerful Samsung Galaxy Note 3! 😆📱😆

anon(421311)

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's that simple. I have additional ringtones (that appear in the "Ringtones" directory on my phone). These are usable as phone ringtones. They are not selectable as Alarm tones for the Calendar application.

So I am pretty sure that the Calendar application (ugh! whose idea was that?) uses some special set of ringtones, instead of just using the standard set of Android ringtones.

I believe that ringtones for the Calendar probably have to be installed into some different location. Unfortunately, I don't know what that location is. :(

anon(421311)

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
OK, I figured it out. Ringtones for the calendar are not "Ringtones", nor are they "Alarms", they are "Notifications", and must be put in that directory.

The use of conflicting terminology (they are called ringtones, but they are not in the ringtones directory) here is really, IMO, idiotic.

swissarmy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I use zedge app which I just checked and the ringtones were found in my calendar settings. EDIT: Just read your post

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
OK, I figured it out. Ringtones for the calendar are not "Ringtones", nor are they "Alarms", they are "Notifications", and must be put in that directory.

The use of conflicting terminology (they are called ringtones, but they are not in the ringtones directory) here is really, IMO, idiotic.

Right. And by using Ringdroid, you can make/record any sound/song into an alarm, notification or ringtone. It let's you select the directory to be available on your phone.

Palm Treo line > BlackBerry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW the awesome & powerful Samsung Galaxy Note 3! 😆📱😆

Karl Ruegg

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
This was very helpful. You are absolutely correct. The Calendar App has "Ringtones" to select but they are actually "Notifications". I copied a ringtone over to the notifications folder and was able to select it. It's vital to have loud and long sounds as calendar reminders or you will constantly be missing appointments and making people mad at you. Again, thankyou for raising this issue. Maybe someone at Google will fix this for future versions of Android.

anon(421311)

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
This was very helpful. You are absolutely correct. The Calendar App has "Ringtones" to select but they are actually "Notifications". I copied a ringtone over to the notifications folder and was able to select it. It's vital to have loud and long sounds as calendar reminders or you will constantly be missing appointments and making people mad at you. Again, thankyou for raising this issue. Maybe someone at Google will fix this for future versions of Android.

FWIW, I think this is Samsung's fault, not Google's. I had an HTC Evo before this phone, and it had an adequately loud alarm.

Samsung: what part of "alarm" don't you understand? ;)

Michel Merlin

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
The problem is in Google, NOT primarily in Samsung.
Google staff are so arrogant that they have got totally blind and deaf to anything coming from users, even seasoned engineers who have been developing for decades programs much more easy to use, general, efficient, reliable, than Google's.
They generally never understood, even never thought of, the general problems of information coherence that have been known and applied for centuries by every honest citizen, particularly when working in grammar, law, or engineering.
For instance in the case of sound, they never understood the issue, they created at least 3 different "Notifications" folders in the phone, probably at least one other with a different name; their programs are pointing to one or others of theses, depending on the path you followed to reach the according settings; and so on.
For a while Google used to send you the Calendar notifications through SMS, which relied on the Phone and Ringtones parts of Android, which sort of worked; but when they stopped sending SMS, they fell down into the mess of their Notifications.
There is no hope IMO for this to get any efficient cure in a couple years; maybe, if we are lucky, in a decade or two. Just look at Microsoft history and you will understand.
Versailles, Wed 23 Mar 2016 13:57:40 +0100