Note 3 How do people, particularly men, carry these things around with them?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Pretty soon I'll have the chance to upgrade, and I've been taking a long look at the Galaxy Note models, of which this is the one I'd most likely buy. I've been wanting something like this for a long time, partly for the large screen but mainly for the convenience of dispensing with paper lists forever, or at least for the life of the phone. The other specs, generally, look pretty good too--camera, storage, processors, and so on.

But it's huge. How do men, who tend to keep things in their pockets, carry these around, or is it women who are buying most of them? Even my ordinary Galaxy Epic 4GT looks like a plank if I resign myself to wearing in my hip carrier, but as that's anything but stylish I often just carry it in a back pocket. If I wear the Note 3 s on my hip, assuming there's a clip or holster that does this, it will look the size of a standard bedroom door. Unless you like to wear cargo pants or painter jeans festooned with oversize snap pockets, how can you do it? The phone looks so large that I don't see how you can carry it in the pockets of ordinary jeans or khakis. Of course, I do often use a backpack, but that's becoming less and less viable. We have hot summers here, and walking around with a big backpack is like wearing an extra outer garment. Moreover, I'm liking less and less the idea of being recognized all over as "the guy with the backpack".

So how do guys live with this phone, or do they?

Greg Wilkins

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: How do people, particularly men, carry these things around with them?

I stick mine in my pocket! That's how I carry most things, being a man makes it easy because, well, I'm a man! Duh, lol

Posted via Android Central App

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

I use a leather holster on my belt on one side and a Plantronics Voyager Pro holster on the other side.

FrontRoyalCPU

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

As a big guy I just carry my ipad mini in my hand. It's in an Otterbox case. If I wasn't scared of damaging the screen I would carry in my shorts pocket since it fits there.
I would think that anything the size of the Nexus 7 2013 would fit into most pockets unless you are wearing skinny jeans.

DJxDARIENx

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Mine fits in my back pocket with no problems. Even my front pocket. Keep in mind Im only 17 and wear skinny jeans majority of the time, or slim straights. the phone is right at the seem and doesnt go above or hang out. I almost always keep mine in my back pocket because its just easier. It isnt uncomfortable either. I also dont have a case or screen protector

tsumorri

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

I'm a chick and I'd use my back pockets for my husband's phone. As men's pockets are typically larger by design, you should be fine!

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

Pretty soon I'll have the chance to upgrade, and I've been taking a long look at the Galaxy Note models, of which this is the one I'd most likely buy. I've been wanting something like this for a long time, partly for the large screen but mainly for the convenience of dispensing with paper lists forever, or at least for the life of the phone. The other specs, generally, look pretty good too--camera, storage, processors, and so on.

But it's huge. How do men, who tend to keep things in their pockets, carry these around, or is it women who are buying most of them? Even my ordinary Galaxy Epic 4GT looks like a plank if I resign myself to wearing in my hip carrier, but as that's anything but stylish I often just carry it in a back pocket. If I wear the Note 3 s on my hip, assuming there's a clip or holster that does this, it will look the size of a standard bedroom door. Unless you like to wear cargo pants or painter jeans festooned with oversize snap pockets, how can you do it? The phone looks so large that I don't see how you can carry it in the pockets of ordinary jeans or khakis. Of course, I do often use a backpack, but that's becoming less and less viable. We have hot summers here, and walking around with a big backpack is like wearing an extra outer garment. Moreover, I'm liking less and less the idea of being recognized all over as "the guy with the backpack".

So how do guys live with this phone, or do they?

My husband puts his in his top pocket most of the time and has no problem with it. He also has a chunky case on it (as it has a built in stand which he often needs for work) and it still fits easily in his pocket and does not weigh it down either. He will sometimes keeps it in his back pocket and I've never heard him complain about it being awkward or heavy in either pocket.

As for myself, even as a woman who has an enormous purse (ha), mostly I carry mine in my hands, occasionally I will put it in a side pocket of my purse or my back pocket. Even though the phone is bigger than the average smartphone, it's light, even with a case on it.

The phone may feel huge for the first few days you have it but you will be suprised how quickly you get used to it :) enjoy!

Sarks.

fasnic

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

Back pocket. I've put every phone I can recall in the last 5yrs there. Fits fine in jeans or dress pants. Summer time and I'm wearing something like cargo shorts, one of the front thigh pockets. I've never had a problem.

MastaCow53

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

I carry mine in my front pocket with no problem.

It's funny, just a year ago the Note 3 seemed freakishly large, but a year later, it's almost mainstream.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Depending on exactly what I'm wearing and carrying with me, there are three main places I'll put my Note 3: in a pocket of my messenger bag, in the inside pocket of my blazer / suit jacket, or in a pocket of my pants. There are never any problems with the first two, and since I've pretty much always taken the phone out of my pants pocket and put it on my desk or whatever when I sit down, there isn't really a problem with the third. While the device is large, it's not so huge that you can't carry it around relatively easily.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I carry my Note 2 (same physical size as Note 3) inside my left front pocket in a Monaco vertical pouch type leather case (pix below, they make one for the Note 3 as well) with the belt clip facing out and clipped onto the pocket. It fits comfortably in all my work dress pants, all my shorts and most jeans, except a couple pair where the pocket is too small. In that case I'll clip the pouch on the outside of either front pocket sitting vertical on my side. Either way, when sitting down I'll sometimes take it (phone and case) out of the pocket and put it on the table/desk or car seat, mainly for easier access to use it (not that it's uncomfortable). :)

Monaco.jpgexchangecellular_2331_841347126.jpg

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've always carried my Note 3 in my front pants pocket and have never had a problem accessing it. I have an Incipio lightweight case and a screen protector, and have never damaged the screen nor the housing. So there shouldn't be a problem whether you wear long pants or shorts.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Currently I take about a 29" waist (really 27 in my favorite brand of jeans but they run a little big). So my pockets may be a bit smaller than you all imagine. But still, if the women on here are comfortable with this phone in their back pockets, I sure I wouldn't have a problem.

Another concern I've read is that the large size makes it a little awkward for one-handed operation, and I have smaller than average hands. It shouldn't be a problem though, I usually use both hands to dial, text, or browse anyway.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful input.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Currently I take about a 29" waist (really 27 in my favorite brand of jeans but they run a little big). So my pockets may be a bit smaller than you all imagine. But still, if the women on here are comfortable with this phone in their back pockets, I sure I wouldn't have a problem.

Another concern I've read is that the large size makes it a little awkward for one-handed operation, and I have smaller than average hands. It shouldn't be a problem though, I usually use both hands to dial, text, or browse anyway.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful input.

I'm female with small hands and short fingers - I can still hold the phone in one hand and use my thumb to text/browse with no problem - and I don't need to use the phones built in "one handed operation"

Obviously using both hands would be quicker but it's still easily done with one hand if needed. So, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Sarks.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Front left pocket. Jeans, khakis, slacks and gym shorts with no issues. My pants aren't super tight though. My friend cracked the glass screen protector on his phone because his jeans were too tight.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Front pocket, it's so thin it's the easiest phone I ever had to Carry in front pocket.

Note 3,,,, SIZE IS EVERYTHING

sydewayzsoundz

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well I have a pretty huge package so space is already limited for me so I can't fit it in my front pocket......

Just kidding...it fits in my pocket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton