Just wondered if, in the case of being a Sprint customer, will the S4 be CDMA and LTE or is it a LTE only phone and will only work in LTE areas?

Just wondered...wanting to move from S3 up to it but not if it is LTE only. If it is, that will kill it on Sprints market.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    03-21-2013 08:46 PM
    I think I just answered my question...

Attached Thumbnails Sprint - Will S4 only be LTE or CDMA as well, same as S3?-uploadfromtaptalk1363913421662.jpg  
    03-21-2013 08:50 PM
    They definitely don't have enough LTE to even dare try that..

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    gnr_2 likes this.
    03-21-2013 10:00 PM
    Just wondered if, in the case of being a Sprint customer, will the S4 be CDMA and LTE or is it a LTE only phone and will only work in LTE areas?

Just wondered...wanting to move from S3 up to it but not if it is LTE only. If it is, that will kill it on Sprints market.

Only company that can start doing lte only phones is Verizon and they themselves have said it won't be till next year. Sprint may also do it next year if all their network vision stuff works out and they get lte running by end of year everywhere they currently have 3g at.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2
    03-21-2013 10:06 PM
    I don't Think any of the Carriers will be able to do that (go to LTE only) anytime in the near/far future...lol, If one was to do that, how would you be able to Roam your calls etc? One Carrier's LTE does not work on another's Phone. They are not compatible. I can't see that being a smart move for any company.
    03-22-2013 07:58 PM
    Did not want to start a new thread for a simple question, dealing with the Sprint S4 connectivity. Any chance with the above quoted information, can/will anyone tell if the S4 will be able to surf the web while on a call (with the Sprint network)? My S3 is able to this, but the Note II does not. This is why I did not switch over to the Note II. Thank you!
    03-24-2013 08:03 PM
    Its too early to tell. The svdo is chipset related and the note2 didnt have a radio and antenna setup that supported it. If samsung chooses a setup like they have with the s3 I dont see why not. But we wont know for sure until we have this beast in hand.
    03-26-2013 07:57 AM
    Did not want to start a new thread for a simple question, dealing with the Sprint S4 connectivity. Any chance with the above quoted information, can/will anyone tell if the S4 will be able to surf the web while on a call (with the Sprint network)? My S3 is able to this, but the Note II does not. This is why I did not switch over to the Note II. Thank you!
    according to the fcc docs for the Sprint version of the S4. I don't think you will be able to use data while on the phone unless you are in an LTE area. ...just like the note 2. (I skipped the note 2 and held onto my S3 for the same reason) The term is called SVDO (Simultaneous Voice and Data) It is only possible when the 1x CDMA and 3g EVDO are used at the same time. This is possible on the Galaxy S3. However, the Galaxy S4 put both of these radios on the same pathway internally. What this means is that the S4 will only use one OR the other and can't use both at the same time. If you look on the FCC docs (LINK) under where it says "RF exposure info" it will pop up a pdf that includes a section titled "simultaneous transmission paths". In the chart it lists the radio combinations that are possible on the S4. It specifically says 1X CDMA voice + EVDO data not supported by HW (Non-SVDO)

So, like you, I too will be skipping the S4. I will be hoping the Note 3 will have SVDO but not holding my breath.
    Sprint, IMO, has made a very poor decision in excluding this from the S4. Especially considering the state of their LTE network.

On a separate note, if I'm not mistaken they have also limited the phones capability to use the LTE network for the use of voice calls. This is a lack of future proofing the device. Tho, in Samsung's defense I don't think any Sprint phone has the needed radios for voice over LTE yet.
    it only contains Band 25 (1900 MHz A-G block) LTE support and supports only 5 MHz bandwidths.

I am very disappointed about the lack of multi-band LTE support but at the same time I am not surprised about this given the HTC One only contains Band 25 (1900 MHz A-G block) LTE support as well. I just really hope the 2H 2013 LTE phones like the LG Optimus G 2, Galaxy Note 3, Moto X (rumored), Nexus 5, etc contain tri-band LTE support.

Time will tell.

Every time I see Sprint take a step in the right direction (GS3) I see them follow it up with two step in the wrong one (Note 2, GS4)

SMH

***EDIT***
    Just to pour a little more salt on this wound... Sprint included the ability to support a broad range of HSPA networks instead of a broader LTE range like the T-Mobile variant.
    what does this mean? It means that Sprint felt their customers would find it more useful to use data in Europe then having a broader ability to use data in the US. ?!?!
    03-28-2013 12:05 PM
    Dang...was hoping it could Wimax...
    I think I just answered my question...

03-28-2013 03:28 PM