Just came back from Sprint store....

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm posting this in the HTC One forum, the Galaxy S4 forum, and the S3 forum.

My son just upgraded his HTC Evo 4G. Since I'm the phone geek (and he's on my business account), he asked me to go with him. We both took a close look at the One, the S4, and the S3. I made a point of comparing the "feel" of each of them. My take:

The htc is much lighter than I expected. The S4 packs an amazing amount of screen in a package the same size as the S3. But I think it looks funny with the various sensors above the screen squeezed so close to the top of the phone. Whatever, I don't really buy my phone for looks.

What about that "feel," you ask? Well, I was a bit surprised. To be perfectly honest, they all three feel......... like phones. The htc doesn't feel like a bank vault, the S3 doesn't feel like it's going to fall to pieces the first time I drop it on the floor. I have fairly small hands, but I could easily hold all of them. The button layout on the htc is a bit awkward, but nothing I wouldn't get used to. The biggest difference is that the S3 is too slippery, the S4 not quite as much. This is the one area I felt the htc superior, but not by a huge amount. Put a case on them, and the differences go away.

Indoors, all three screens are fine. All three of them are fast and smooth. I noticed no real lag on any of them, and since I'd likely put Nova launcher on the S4, (and probably the htc), any lag caused by Touchwiz would be a non-issue. I do think htc's changes to vanilla Android are a bit strange and counter-intuitive, while Samsung's tweaks are less strange but more complex. Most of the new features of the S4 I probably wouldn't use much, and I can't say there's any single feature of the One that floors me, either.

My son's decision? For his needs, neither of the new phones is worth the price premium over the S3. Especially not the S4, at $250 vs. $200 for the One and $99 for the S3. I think I'd reach the same conclusion if I were upgrading today. Until Google introduces a new version of Android with some truly significant new features, today's phones are more similar than they are different. The current generation of Android phones are a pretty mature product, and efforts to differentiate them amount to details around the edges, not fundamental distinctions.

My 2 cents worth.....

Last edited:

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of reluctant to upgrade my s3 to the One or s4. I don't feel like there is much a of difference between the phones. I might just wait for the note 3.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of reluctant to upgrade my s3 to the One or s4. I don't feel like there is much a of difference between the phones. I might just wait for the note 3.

That's what I am doing. For me there is no significant change, save for hardware that will make me want to upgrade from my s3.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

FrostyGTA

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Had I not been eligible for my upgrade to get the S4 for $249 I wouldn't have sold my S3. The ironic thing is I sold my S3 for $275 so I made a couple of bucks and get a better phone...but the difference between the S3 and S4 isn't worth it unless you you have an upgrade.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Found a new Sprint S4 on Craigslist that was still sealed. buying it tomorrow it for $470. Will be listing my 32gb white S3 on Craigslist for $300 and hopefully it will sell quickly. So I'm looking at $170 to upgrade to the S4. Thats the plan at least.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Had I not been eligible for my upgrade to get the S4 for $249 I wouldn't have sold my S3. The ironic thing is I sold my S3 for $275 so I made a couple of bucks and get a better phone...but the difference between the S3 and S4 isn't worth it unless you you have an upgrade.

$249 plus tax and activation fee?

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Found a new Sprint S4 on Craigslist that was still sealed. buying it tomorrow it for $470. Will be listing my 32gb white S3 on Craigslist for $300 and hopefully it will sell quickly. So I'm looking at $170 to upgrade to the S4. Thats the plan at least.

I traded in my 16GB S3 to Best Buy for $262.50 had them price match Amazon on the S4 $599 and walked out with a S4 off contract for $385. At Sprint it would come out to about $350 on contract. Sprint is a rip off. Also dropped Assurion insurance and got Geek Squad protection for $10 and no deductible if anything happens to the phone.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4

FrostyGTA

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Activation is $100? Since when? It's $36.

...and good for you for the price you paid...want a cookie? Not sure what point you were trying to prove exactly. I'm sure you're a God among cell phone men.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Activation is $100? Since when? It's $36.

...and good for you for the price you paid...want a cookie? Not sure what point you were trying to prove exactly. I'm sure you're a God among cell phone men.

$250 +tax + activation you obviously have more money than brains. Don't get angry at me because you overpaid for your phone.

Sent from my SPH-L720

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
That best buy insurance is bs. Because now days its more of a chance of loss or theft then damage.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I have never lost a phone or had one stolen and don't really see how that would happen to me.

Sent from my SPH-L720

FrostyGTA

May 30, 2011
Visit site
$250 +tax + activation you obviously have more money than brains. Don't get angry at me because you overpaid for your phone.

Sent from my SPH-L720

Ughhh, I paid less than you, it was like $36 out of pocket after tax and activation(so pardon the error in the previous post where I said I made a few bucks, forgot to factor in tax and activation. Your out of pocket expense was almost $400...not $36. You're comparing the price you paid AFTER selling/trading in your phone to my price BEFORE I sold my phone....so what was that comment about brains??? )....I couldn't care less about being locked into a 2yr contract or buying it off contract. If I cared I would have been super cool and went the route you did so I can brag about it on some online forum. Do you want low fat or whole milk with your cookie?

Now let it die, you're an *****. Go troll someone else, it's a damn cell phone for crying out loud...nothing that important. I can't believe I'm even wasting time responding but when I see dip**** posts by idiots it's hard ignore.

So to recap $385 is less than $36?(BTW, my total out of pocket expense had I not sold my phone would have been $308.83, not $350...keep making yourself look stupid) **** me, I guess the math taught in schools around here must be horribly wrong.

Last edited:

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
FYI - if you LOSE the phone - Best Buy (Geek Squad) insurance, does NOT cover it. Break it, crush it, flush it, fine. Just don't lose it. No coverage without a physical device.

Just upgraded to the S4 at Best Buy and the sale rep made a point of mentioning it....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol