11-14-2013 03:06 PM
43 12
tools
    It wasn't because of Sprint. It was because of something Qualcomm has done with the SOC's on the S4 and later phones. Ever since the newer chips came out SVDO has been lost on 3G CDMA.
    It's not even sprint. Any of the CDMA s4's do not have it

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4
    09-01-2013 07:12 PM
    It's not even sprint. Any of the CDMA s4's do not have it

1 this is about the Sprint S4 and if you read it right I did say it was because of Qualcomm.
    09-01-2013 07:28 PM
    Consistent 4G signal is so unreliable at this point on Sprint...
    I seriously doubt that Sprint LTE will be a acceptably functional within the next year.(
    That's not true. Before my city had LTE officially turned on, many people on Sprint enjoyed 4G LTE for almost a year.
    Now we have it and also in all the towns around here.

It's just a matter of where you live, you might have it or not. But it will get there. I hope!

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    Attached Thumbnails No SVDO on Sprint S4!!!-1378081383077.jpg  
    09-01-2013 08:23 PM
    I have an EVO 4G LTE and I have been using data and voice at the same time in 3G. I am on a call using Waze and I have downloaded an app from the Play store all while driving (I have my phone propped in a cradle) before I get scolded. It works for me.

My area does not have 4G.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    09-01-2013 08:30 PM
    I have an EVO 4G LTE and I have been using data and voice at the same time in 3G. I am on a call using Waze and I have downloaded an app from the Play store all while driving (I have my phone propped in a cradle) before I get scolded. It works for me.

My area does not have 4G.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    Yea that phone, along with the s3 worked. But the newer htc one, and s4 doesn't work

09-01-2013 11:09 PM
    It wasn't because of Sprint. It was because of something Qualcomm has done with the SOC's on the S4 and later phones. Ever since the newer chips came out SVDO has been lost on 3G CDMA.
    What are you talking about? The S4 can do Voice and data on 3g with other carriers just not Sprint.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4
    09-02-2013 04:24 AM
    What are you talking about? The S4 can do Voice and data on 3g with other carriers just not Sprint.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4
    Yes on gsm which uses totally different setup but on 3g cdma it does not do svdo, for which Qualcomm has stated. Eversince they announced the pro series socs.
    09-02-2013 08:00 AM
    I hate that the GS4 doesn't have that ability.

I concur with those saying it's a downgrade. Those without 4G LTE in their area will suffer the consequences. Even those of us with 4G will suffer when out of a LTE area.

It definitely sucks! :banghead:

09-02-2013 10:41 AM
    carriers are getting lazy now....this is a complete downgrade from the s4 because the s3 had it and it was wonderful.....the s4 is a great phone in all aspects except this and it's the only thing making me miss my s3
    This is a manufacturer thing.. Not a carrier thing. The only thing you could blame the carrier for is using CDMA which doesn't support simultaneous voice and data.

Yes the GSM carriers can always do Voice and data at the same time. The standard allows it. The only reason Verizon can is because usually majority of the users are on LTE. The Sprint S4 can do Voice and data... If you are on LTE. Verizon is in the same boat if they drop to 3g they won't be able to do them at the same time.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    STARGATE likes this.
    09-03-2013 08:32 AM
    This is a manufacturer thing.. Not a carrier thing. The only thing you could blame the carrier for is using CDMA which doesn't support simultaneous voice and data.

Yes the GSM carriers can always do Voice and data at the same time. The standard allows it. The only reason Verizon can is because usually majority of the users are on LTE. The Sprint S4 can do Voice and data... If you are on LTE. Verizon is in the same boat if they drop to 3g they won't be able to do them at the same time.

That's true! ^
    Those of us in areas with 4G LTE have the chance to talk on the phone and browse the web at the same time, no problem.

09-03-2013 09:06 AM
    Same for me on the sprint s3, I can talk on my phone and browse tapatalk at the same time, on both 3g and 4g.

I see no reason as to why it wouldn't work on the s4, unless you have it turned off somehow.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    09-03-2013 10:49 AM
    Same for me on the sprint s3, I can talk on my phone and browse tapatalk at the same time, on both 3g and 4g.

I see no reason as to why it wouldn't work on the s4, unless you have it turned off somehow.

Different Qualcomm SOC than on the GS3, the newer SOCs dont have the capability because of something Qualcomm has done.
    09-03-2013 10:55 AM

The S3 can.. The chip has technically 2 cdma chips.. One designated for radio (cell) other for data. The S4 has one.. So it can only do one task at a time on 3g.

I'm telling you its hardware. I've done my homework on it because when I was on Sprint I wasn't sure why I couldn't do 3g voice and data on my HTC One. There is NO SETTING that will change this.

Zookeeper63 likes this.
    09-03-2013 11:39 AM
    My s4 talk and data at the same on 4g also I have sim card in my s4 on sprint
    09-18-2013 09:54 PM
    gotta love the random fly-by poster

yes we know that....but we are talking about while doing that on 3g
    ike4380 likes this.
    09-18-2013 10:03 PM
    gotta love the random fly-by poster

yes we know that....but we are talking about while doing that on 3g
    As started above on 4g you definitely can browse and talk... 3g is where you can't.

09-19-2013 07:08 AM
    The S4 had a "on die modem" which differentiated the S4 as a SoC from other chip designs since then. This may be GSM carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile and others) flexing there financial muscle to remove the competitive alternative to their products.It's Qualcomm's design and their choice, we can only choose NOT TO BUY PHONES that don't have this capability. Or wait can wait for SVLte, OUR CHOICE, until they drop support.
    11-13-2013 02:31 PM
    The S4 had a "on die modem" which differentiated the S4 as a SoC from other chip designs since then. This may be GSM carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile and others) flexing there financial muscle to remove the competitive alternative to their products.It's Qualcomm's design and their choice, we can only choose NOT TO BUY PHONES that don't have this capability. Or wait can wait for SVLte, OUR CHOICE, until they drop support.
    Flexing their muscle? No... It's just the standard they use (GSM) allows it by default... Sprints (CDMA) doesn't.

If you get LTE from Sprint you can already do data while on a call.. No waiting for it.. Unless you meant waiting for LTE to be in your area.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    11-14-2013 03:06 PM
43 12