11-14-2013 03:06 PM
43 12
tools
    How disappointing!!! I've been playing around with my phone so much that I didn't realize how I've barely used this phone to actually make phone calls!

The EVO 4G LTE was capable of SVDO, why can't this phone? Can anybody confirm if the HTC One is capable of SVDO? I'm on the fence if this is a deal breaker or not. It's definitely going to be a huge adjustment that I'll need to get used to if I choose to keep this phone.

05-01-2013 02:21 AM
    I didn't realize this either since I'm usually on wifi... But I no if u have 4g signal it works

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
    05-01-2013 03:09 AM
    Consistent 4G signal is so unreliable at this point on Sprint...

Is SVDO something that can be added with an OTA upgrade? Didn't the S3 support SVDO?
    05-01-2013 11:50 AM

Is SVDO something that can be added with an OTA upgrade? Didn't the S3 support SVDO?
    Yes the s3 supported it. Real bummer that this was cut out on the s4. Loved being able to talk on the phone with my mom and browse online during our too long and boring conversation

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Angelic1973 likes this.
    05-01-2013 12:02 PM
    I really don't get why this shouldn't be standard on all carrier networks to allow data usage while being on the phone. I don't see how it ISN'T possible. Phone calls don't use data, so why do they have to block it???
    It would be enough to have me consider switching carriers if I was on Sprint
    05-01-2013 12:07 PM
    I read in another forum that they decided to forego SVDO since Sprint was well on their way in deploying LTE and simultaneous LTE/Voice is possible. I seriously doubt that Sprint LTE will be a acceptably functional within the next year.

I just want to be able to send non-SMS messages (Google Talk, Google Voice, Whatsapp, FB Messenger) while I'm on the phone! Please just let me send out those few bits of data!!!
    05-01-2013 12:58 PM
    I really don't get why this shouldn't be standard on all carrier networks to allow data usage while being on the phone. I don't see how it ISN'T possible. Phone calls don't use data, so why do they have to block it???
    If this is the case...the only phone which would be possible would be on the GSM network.
    05-01-2013 01:16 PM
    If this is the case...the only phone which would be possible would be on the GSM network.
    Select CDMA phones allow for SVDO which is simultaneous voice and 3g data network connectivity. On Sprint, the EVO 4G LTE had it and the S3 had it. It seems they took a step backwards with the S4, relying on their "LTE" network for simultaneous voice and data.
    05-01-2013 01:35 PM
    My phone is SVDO capable.. Im with sprint too...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Android Central Forums
    05-01-2013 01:39 PM

From my understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong) the CDMA chip can only do either voice or data... It cannot do both like a GSM chip can. So if your CDMA chip is using voice.. It cannot do any data. If it's doing data.. It can't do voice (that's why if you got a call incoming it would cut data out right away to allow the call).

Now.. In the case for the S3 I believe they put in the extra radio to allow the SVDO. This is why the S3 can do it.

I read in another forum that they decided to forego SVDO since Sprint was well on their way in deploying LTE and simultaneous LTE/Voice is possible. I seriously doubt that Sprint LTE will be a acceptably functional within the next year.
    That depends where are you and is your area in the process of NV (network vision)? I can get 4g in a good amount of Jacksonville so once they officially launch us I'd suspect it will be pretty good to go.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    05-01-2013 02:57 PM
    From my understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong) the CDMA chip can only do either voice or data... It cannot do both like a GSM chip can. So if your CDMA chip is using voice.. It cannot do any data. If it's doing data.. It can't do voice (that's why if you got a call incoming it would cut data out right away to allow the call).

Now.. In the case for the S3 I believe they put in the extra radio to allow the SVDO. This is why the S3 can do it.

That depends where are you and is your area in the process of NV (network vision)? I can get 4g in a good amount of Jacksonville so once they officially launch us I'd suspect it will be pretty good to go.

I don't think so Cus when I was with T-Mobile couple of years back, I couldn't talk and browse at the same time....

Its an independent device hardware issue IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    05-01-2013 03:08 PM
    I don't think so Cus when I was with T-Mobile couple of years back, I couldn't talk and browse at the same time....

Its an independent device hardware issue IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Well your saying a couple years back.. That would depend on the area.. If your phone was actually on their GSM network or on their beloved edge network.. And what phone. This is why ATT always used to boast about voice and data at the same time because the other carriers (Verizon and Sprint) were CDMA and couldn't do it.. But their GSM can. ATT doesn't brag as much anymore about it since LTE can handle voice and data at the same time.

05-01-2013 03:14 PM
    does the HTC One have it on sprint?
    05-02-2013 05:05 AM
    Didn't the S3 support SVDO?
    Yes.

Not where I live.
    05-02-2013 06:09 AM
    I seriously doubt that Sprint LTE will be a acceptably functional within the next year.
    Why do you say that?
    05-02-2013 09:49 AM
    This only confirms that I made the right decision to leave that fledgling network and its bad business decisions. smh...
    05-02-2013 10:13 AM
    yes and there is already an OTA update. chill out and call an instore tech
    ttwiitch and Almeuit like this.
    05-03-2013 03:02 PM
    yes and there is already an OTA update. chill out and call an instore tech
    Didn't mean to thank.. But what? Call a tech about what?

This only confirms that I made the right decision to leave that fledgling network and its bad business decisions. smh...
    It depends on your area. I get LTE most places so .

05-04-2013 05:38 PM
    The Samsung Galaxy Victory was the last Sprint LTE phone released to support SVDO. Sprints SVDO capable phones were setup so that EVDO and LTE shared the same transmission path thereby leaving the 1X radio to transmit independently from EVDO. Due to the buildout of Network Vision, that feature won't be needed for very long. I wouldn't let it get to you. If you want that feature, use your old phones until LTE comes to your area.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    05-04-2013 05:59 PM
    about the problem you are having with your phone
    05-08-2013 02:19 PM
    Well your saying a couple years back.. That would depend on the area.. If your phone was actually on their GSM network or on their beloved edge network.. And what phone. This is why ATT always used to boast about voice and data at the same time because the other carriers (Verizon and Sprint) were CDMA and couldn't do it.. But their GSM can. ATT doesn't brag as much anymore about it since LTE can handle voice and data at the same time.

A blackberry on GSM then 2g iPhone, then a blackeberry bold 9350 and last, a Motorola Cliq.....
    Non had it.....not even on 3g (which I know with my iphone back then on their 2g/edge network it wasn't possible).

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    05-08-2013 02:24 PM
    I tried.
    HTC One does not support SVDO on 3G.
    08-30-2013 10:27 AM
    Track record of Sprint along with the snail's pace of the LTE roll out?
    08-31-2013 07:34 PM
    I tried.
    HTC One does not support SVDO on 3G.
    carriers are getting lazy now....this is a complete downgrade from the s4 because the s3 had it and it was wonderful.....the s4 is a great phone in all aspects except this and it's the only thing making me miss my s3
    08-31-2013 07:47 PM
    It wasn't because of Sprint. It was because of something Qualcomm has done with the SOC's on the S4 and later phones. Ever since the newer chips came out SVDO has been lost on 3G CDMA.
    09-01-2013 02:11 PM
43 12