06-02-2013 04:05 PM
49 12
tools
    Anyone receive it yet? If so, what does it fix?
    05-03-2013 11:01 AM
    i keep hearing about it but i haven't seen it, been checking everyday.

Edit: i got it this morning 5/8
    05-07-2013 05:27 PM
    I just picked up a s4 today and I don't think Sprint has received this update yet. Or maybe they have received it but haven't released it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
    05-07-2013 09:26 PM
    I hear it got pulled

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
    05-08-2013 04:52 AM
    I received the update this morning, but sure what it update.

baseband version L720VPUAMDL
    build number JDQ39.L720VPUAMDL
    Software L720VPUAMDL
    05-08-2013 09:24 AM
    I just got it this morning.
    05-08-2013 10:33 AM
    Nothing here.
    05-08-2013 12:15 PM
    Nothing here yet... I hear it fixes gallery lag, animation stutter, and sharpens the camera quality...

Posted via Android Central App
    05-08-2013 12:22 PM
    According to XDA, it also puts a check in the kernel that disables root. So if you're rooted, you'll need a custom kernel with this flag turned off.

At least that's what I'm understanding.
    05-08-2013 01:47 PM
    I just installed the update. Will let you know what I find here momentarily....
    05-08-2013 10:37 PM
    So for those that don't want to wait for the OTA update... go over to XDA and there is a thread where someone grabbed the zip file from their phone that got the OTA. Download that file, then rename to update.zip (it is originally named 321a2cb29b9c.update_SPH-L720_MDC_CSB_user_RP_to_MDL_CSB_user_RP.zip) and put it in the root directory of your SD card (you have to have an SD card installed)

Then boot into recovery. When the phone is powered off, hold down vol+, home, and power and keep holding them down. The phone boots up and you'll see the galaxy s4 logo and in small text at the top it says booting into recovery. Then let go of the power button but keep holding down vol+ and home until you get to a recovery menu. Use the vol keys to scroll through the options and the power button to chose an option. You should see an option for update via SD card and then chose the update.zip file.

It'll go through the process of updating and then reboot. That's it, you should then have the software update on your phone. At least it worked for me.

05-08-2013 10:52 PM
    So for those that don't want to wait for the OTA update... go over to XDA and there is a thread where someone grabbed the zip file from their phone that got the OTA. Download that file, then rename to update.zip (it is originally named 321a2cb29b9c.update_SPH-L720_MDC_CSB_user_RP_to_MDL_CSB_user_RP.zip) and put it in the root directory of your SD card (you have to have an SD card installed)

Then boot into recovery. When the phone is powered off, hold down vol+, home, and power and keep holding them down. The phone boots up and you'll see the galaxy s4 logo and in small text at the top it says booting into recovery. Then let go of the power button but keep holding down vol+ and home until you get to a recovery menu. Use the vol keys to scroll through the options and the power button to chose an option. You should see an option for update via SD card and then chose the update.zip file.

It'll go through the process of updating and then reboot. That's it, you should then have the software update on your phone. At least it worked for me.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/09/te8unu8y.jpg
    Is this for ppl who rooted or stock, because u say something about place it in root

05-09-2013 12:27 AM
    This update got rid of my red hue on black backgrounds.

However, it added the purple blur issue

It also made it a lot smoother. I don't have to mess with my developer animation settings anymore
    05-09-2013 01:15 AM
    I just got mine by doing the framework thing...

05-09-2013 01:55 AM
    This update got rid of my red hue on black backgrounds.

However, it added the purple blur issue

It also made it a lot smoother. I don't have to mess with my developer animation settings anymore
    So did you turn developer options off???

05-09-2013 01:56 AM
    Is this for ppl who rooted or stock, because u say something about place it in root

For people on stock. I mentioned root of the SD card, just meaning the top level directory.
    05-09-2013 07:36 AM
    just got notification on my phone of the update this morning, I'm downloading the update right now....

EDIT: update done...
    05-09-2013 08:16 AM
    Updated this morning..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Android Central Forums
    05-09-2013 09:06 AM
    I just got mine by doing the framework thing...

Framework thing?
    05-09-2013 02:08 PM
    Framework thing?
    Yea delete data in Google frame work, then force stop it, then go to Samsung update it should say 1969 press update.. Work for me after like 6 times

byeblackberry likes this.
    05-09-2013 04:22 PM
    Yea delete data in Google frame work, then force stop it, then go to Samsung update it should say 1969 press update.. Work for me after like 6 times

Baam, worked on the first try. Thank you!

05-09-2013 04:41 PM
    First thoughts? Sounds like you got the same build as AT&T and TMobile. If so, I'm hoping you see some of the same improvements in performance.
    05-09-2013 04:54 PM
    Definitely snappier. There was a slight stutter fading out of my lockscreen whenever I unlocked before...now it's smooth. Stock Messaging doesn't lag anymore even though I restored like 8000 SMS texts into my phone (I use GoSMS anyway). Window animations loading apps and switching on the multi-tasking menu are smooth now. The Gallery doesn't lag anymore, although I do notice that it still doesn't open up as fast as other apps (but still definitely faster than before the update). Camera loads faster now...haven't noticed any camera improvements although other forums say the performance has changed.

The stuttering was the only disappointing thing about this phone when I first got it on launch day. It wasn't bad enough to make me want to return it, but when I played with the One and saw how snappy that phone was, I did pause for a moment. But now that it's fixed, it's definitely perfect now!
    05-09-2013 07:21 PM
    Also, my average free RAM has increased quite about. I used to average 1.21/1.78 GB throughout the day with my usual apps open or saved in cache...now it's down to about 1.01/1.78 GB.
    LoveMyPhone likes this.
    05-09-2013 07:24 PM
    Definitely snappier. There was a slight stutter fading out of my lockscreen whenever I unlocked before...now it's smooth. Stock Messaging doesn't lag anymore even though I restored like 8000 SMS texts into my phone (I use GoSMS anyway). Window animations loading apps and switching on the multi-tasking menu are smooth now. The Gallery doesn't lag anymore, although I do notice that it still doesn't open up as fast as other apps (but still definitely faster than before the update). Camera loads faster now...haven't noticed any camera improvements although other forums say the performance has changed.

The stuttering was the only disappointing thing about this phone when I first got it on launch day. It wasn't bad enough to make me want to return it, but when I played with the One and saw how snappy that phone was, I did pause for a moment. But now that it's fixed, it's definitely perfect now!
    Exactly what I was hoping for. Pretty much describes my experience with the AT&T version after the update. Appreciate the feedback. Hopefully others concur because I've heard the Sprint version, for whatever reason, had it a bit worse.
    05-09-2013 07:26 PM
49 12