Strange phenomenon with my new galaxy s4 from Sprint...please help

whodunit

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
I just bought my s4 a few days ago and it works great until I get to work... then it becomes so slow and unresponsive, it's almost unusable. I was going to take it to the Sprint store when I got off work but when I got home, it was working perfectly. Now I'm back at work and its doing it again... What could be causing this? It's taking anywhere from 10-20 seconds to respond after pressing a button or the back arrow. In fact, when I press the back arrow, it acts as if I'm holding it down and the little favorites sidebar will appear or disappear. And when I type something it's as if I'm holding the key down to use the characters above. Instead of typing t, it types a 5, etc. Can anyone help? Thank you!!! I know if I take it to the store it's gonna work just fine.:-\

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
What is your signal like at work? Are you connected to WiFi at one location, but not the other?

If you have a bad connection, and have background sync options or location check-ins turned on, that could be causing the lag. I can't think of anything but signal issues that would differentiate one location from another.

whodunit

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I'm connected to wifi at home but not at work. It keeps telling me that a wifi connection is available. I wondered if it could have something to do with that. I just upgraded from an HTC Evo 4g LTE. I never had this problem with that phone or any other. Thank you for your help. I'll pay better attention to the wifi tonight when I get to work.

valkridr

May 6, 2013
Visit site
HI,
New to this forum so....

I'm having an issue with my Sprint Galaxy S4. Bought it May 4th. it works fine on the Sprint network, the issue is with Wifi.
I have a Dlink DGL-4500 router and Cable ISP. The S4 will connect to the network, but after about 1 min of streaming youtube or browsing, I start getting buffering issues. Various message will appear depending on the app I am using. When using browser and trying to access Facebook it will tell me there is no internet connection, try again. While watching a youtube vid, I have gotten a message that says "Unfortunately SMCC service has stopped working". In both cases the wifi antenna symbol is full strength. After a couple minutes the antenna symbol goes out and comes back on saying the device has connected to my network.
I took the phone back to Sprint and they connect it to their wifi and it works fine. At work I can connect to the wifi without any problems.
After searchcing the forum I've seen various issues with Samsung devices and Dlink routers, going as far back as the Galaxy S.
I'm going to try some of the settings I've seen fix other Samsung devices having similar issues. But long story short, it sure seems like Samsung and Dlink don't play well together.

Work has given me a Linksys router to take home and try with my network onight. If the phone works on wifi with that router, I might just get a new Linksys router as Dlink support for my router has just ended yesterday.

If anyone else is having similar issues, or knows of a particular setting which fixes this issue it would be good to hear from you.

From the forum threads I've seen it seems there are a particular set of setting to play with, but no one setting seems to be the end all to the problems.

You'd think after so many years of this issue Samsung or Dlink would figure something out and not put a customer in a position like this.

whodunit

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking it may not be a wifi issue now because it started getting slow on me while I was at home today. Not as bad as it does at work but very noticable. It feels more like something is using way too much power and the other apps can't run properly. I'm no expert so I could be wrong about that. Anyone else having this issue?

valkridr

May 6, 2013
Visit site
So I tried several different settings and got my Samsung working with the Dlink DGL-4500. I did not swap out the router for the Linksys that work let me bring home to try, (it was my last resort).
After I got my GS4 working, my daughter complained her iPhone was not working on WIFI. Not sure which model iPhone she has.
Long story short, to get both working I only had to change the Transmission Rate from Auto to the highest single number, 54 in my case. By single number I mean there were other options, ranges actually which begin with MCS.
By taking the highest single number I don't see any problems with performance or connection issues.

I hope this helps someone.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
This happens to a lot of cell phone users while at work. You have to remember, most buildings are concrete and steel and its not uncommon to have problems getting a good signal inside. Whereas must homes are wood frame which doesn't block your signal nearly as bad.

tap'n

Howiewowie

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I live in a metal sideing mobile home I run good in living room large windows get good 4g, in my master bedroom it does same thing you have problems with it shows 3g weak signal check your bars up top if you have wifi at work use it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

whodunit

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any slow-downs in the last 2-3 days and I believe they stopped after removing the Flipboard widget... Strange? Has anyone else experienced a problem with widgets? Some of my other widgets don't work. I figure they just aren't compatible with version 4.2.2 yet.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Did you get the ota update? This fixed the lag or stuttering for everyone I hear. The latest build is mdl

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

whodunit

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had my phone for over a month now and have not had any more problems with the phone.:thumbup: I love it!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
This happens to a lot of cell phone users while at work. You have to remember, most buildings are concrete and steel and its not uncommon to have problems getting a good signal inside. Whereas must homes are wood frame which doesn't block your signal nearly as bad.

tap'n

concrete buildings and a slow internet connection shouldn't make the phone slow..just the data loading....but apps should still open fine, etc

Zedd

May 11, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, when at work or others places with multiple Wi-Fi options either connect to one or turn Wi-Fi off. At the very least turn scan for connections off., For giggles make sure GPS is turned off too.
Also as someone else may have mentioned, if you get a lot of notification's disable them, turn them off or suspend them. Both of those suggestions will help you save battery life.
There is no reason with moderate usage you should not get 14 to 20 hours of usage in a charge.

Posted via Android Central App on my Galaxy S4

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded from an HTC Evo 4g LTE. I never had this problem with that phone or any other.

Slightly off topic, how is the signal strength in poor coverage areas with the S4 compared to the Evo LTE? I'm using the Evo now and considering the S4 but other Samsung phones that I've used have poor signal strength where there is poor coverage compared to my Evo.

I'm also a user of the BlackBerry Bold 9930 on Sprint and it gets better signal than the Evo. So I'm debating on going with the BlackBerry Z30 the 5 inch BlackBerry coming to Sprint as BlackBerry has a record of getting better signal than most phones. But if the S4 does as well in the signal department I will consider it. My coworker has the Note 2 on Sprint and it gets terrible signal. I frequently turn on hotspot on my Evo so she can use her Note 2 at work.:cool:

Last edited:

imneveral0ne

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Slightly off topic, how is the signal strength in poor coverage areas with the S4 compared to the Evo LTE? I'm using the Evo now and considering the S4 but other Samsung phones that I've used have poor signal strength where there is poor coverage compared to my Evo.

I'm also a user of the BlackBerry Bold 9930 on Sprint and it gets better signal than the Evo. So I'm debating on going with the BlackBerry Z30 the 5 inch BlackBerry coming to Sprint as BlackBerry has a record of getting better signal than most phones. But if the S4 does as well in the signal department I will consider it. My coworker has the Note 2 on Sprint and it gets terrible signal. I frequently turn on hotspot on my Evo so she can use her Note 2 at work.:cool:

My whole family has Evo LTE phones and im the only one who gets LTE or any coverage at home.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar