Galaxy S4 issues true?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The constant threads on lag are astonishing, honestly. It is much ado about nothing. I think most won't notice and won't care, and the truth is that this is about the fastest processor on the market and the phone handles average tasks brilliantly. NO computer handles everything instantaneously. If you're upgrading from another phone with an expired contract 2 years ago, you'll be thrilled. This thing makes my Asus Transformer tablet look archaic in speed. It makes my last HTC phone look like it came from 1999.

But, in that sense, it makes the Nexus 4 and One look like supercomputers.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
But, in that sense, it makes the Nexus 4 and One look like supercomputers.

Apart from various deal breaker issues with those phones like removable batteries and SD card slots, no, not really. I prefer to state it as the lag issue being vastly overstated here and turned into a blown-out-of-proportion bogeyman that has the effect of completely misleading as to how fast this phone actually is at performing its various tasks.When, for instance, I pull up my ebook directory with File Manager on my card with over 2000 ebooks, it does so as fast--or faster!--than my desktop computer, an XPS from Dell. It outpaces my old HTC Sensation by a factor a zillion to one. (Yes, I know that's not scientific, ;) but ...) I saw a post above about going back to the home screen, etc. Got my phone out. Went to the 3rd alternate home screen. Back to the 1st. Instant. Not even a hint. Opened up Cool Reader. Instant (although that's a different type of issue). Hit the home button. Cool Reader dissolves. Whoosh. Exactly as it should be. Pulled up Pocket. Instant splash. Back to home screen. Dissolves. Whoosh. Opened Evernote. Popped up instantly. Pushed the home screen. Dissolves immediately. Whoosh.

Even assuming arguendo some significant lag issue--I've seen nothing that would have even made me think about it until I read threads on this forum, and I'll bet the typical user upgrading and starting afresh sees nothing amiss and couldn't care less--there are also other important speed issues where this excels. Controlled tests demonstrate how snappy this phone is, using the latest updates, with apples-to-apples comparisons. PC Mag, May 2013:

"Sprint's Galaxy S 4 has the same 1.9Ghz Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor as T-Mobile's, but I found that this unit benchmarked slightly faster, possibly because it's running fewer background services like T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling system. In any case, it's the fastest Android phone I've seen yet."

The t-mobile review, btw, which I use, a month earlier said:

The 1.9GHz Snapdragon torched the processor-dependent Antutu benchmark, but it also did unusually well on Basemark OS, which launches real applications, and on the GLBenchmark graphics benchmark. Even pushing all the pixels on a 1080p screen, this is the fastest Android phone available. I topped off performance testing with the hideously heavy Need for Speed: Most Wanted game, which ran like butter on the S 4. Spectacular speed results carried over to network testing, too."

One thing between those two reviews that we might note is that not everyone may be talking about the same thing.

You said in one post "To be honest, I haven't used the S4 much; only about an hour." I've used it a lot with a lot of apps that make my Transformer tablet and my former HTC phone choke or slow to a crawl. I'm not a gamer. Otherwise, I am a pretty heavy user and am on it constantly. The S4 zips along and generally seems lightning fast. If there are complaints to be made with this phone, speed is not fairly put as one of them.

Last edited:

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Great, because I have a Transformer as well, and I plan to move most of my games to my new phone.

If you run into space issues because of huge amount of game data or something like that, and Samsung/carriers haven't pushed the update (to push apps to SD) by then, look up xda-developers for folder mount (you can download from play store). I used that for my NFS game (1.5 gigs - ugh)

[APP][ROOT] FolderMount - Link folders from internal SD to external to free space - xda-developers
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.devasque.fmount&token=V8jWKjXS

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I haven't used the S4 much; only about an hour. But I'm mostly basing this on the reports of S4 owners.
Which artificially inflates the reports. How many people are basing their reports of lag on reports from people who are also basing theirs on what they heard on forums? You could have a few people giving overblown reports of how bad the lag is and then lots of people passing that information along without having actually used the device more than a little bit. How many people who don't have the phone are passing along the reports from people who don't see much, if any, lag?

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had the phone since May 5th and it has lag/ stuttering/delayed reaction. My brother got his a few days before release day and his has the same lag/stuttering as mine.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Which artificially inflates the reports. How many people are basing their reports of lag on reports from people who are also basing theirs on what they heard on forums? You could have a few people giving overblown reports of how bad the lag is and then lots of people passing that information along without having actually used the device more than a little bit. How many people who don't have the phone are passing along the reports from people who don't see much, if any, lag?

I think you kinda didn't read my whole post. I said I'm basing what I say mostly on reports of S4 owners.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I think you kinda didn't read my whole post. I said I'm basing what I say mostly on reports of S4 owners.
I know, but you aren't an owner so the owners who are reporting lag being a problem are being over represented. You're basing it on some owners reports that you have selected, not all owners reports or a random sampling. If three owners report a problem and three don't, but 10 non-owners report the problem because they read about it on a forum then there are 13 reports of a problem and 3 reports that there isn't a problem. So it looks like a vast majority are seeing a problem becasue of the reports, but that doesn't reflect reality. People like to report that there's a problem with a new, "must have device" way more than they like to report that it works as advertised. Look at how people jumped all over "antenna-gate" with the iPhone. It was made out to be this huge deal, but it turns out that a large majority of people were very satisfied or satisfied with the iPhone 4.

Survey: Most iPhone 4 Users 'Very Satisfied' | TechHive

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I know, but you aren't an owner so the owners who are reporting lag being a problem are being over represented. You're basing it on some owners reports that you have selected, not all owners reports or a random sampling. If three owners report a problem and three don't, but 10 non-owners report the problem because they read about it on a forum then there are 13 reports of a problem and 3 reports that there isn't a problem. So it looks like a vast majority are seeing a problem becasue of the reports, but that doesn't reflect reality. People like to report that there's a problem with a new, "must have device" way more than they like to report that it works as advertised. Look at how people jumped all over "antenna-gate" with the iPhone. It was made out to be this huge deal, but it turns out that a large majority of people were very satisfied or satisfied with the iPhone 4.

Survey: Most iPhone 4 Users 'Very Satisfied' | TechHive

That definitely makes sense and I see it happen but is definitely not a statistic or fact in anyway anyone new reading this

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app