Hi guys! Forgive me if this has been posted (didn't find a thread like this)...

My GS4 has a tiny stress crack on the back/battery cover. I have zero idea how that may have even happened, but it bugs me a lot. I hear that knockoff back covers, like the majority of those listed on eBay and Amazon, aren't good for reception because Samsung has something built in to theirs that is important for that, and NFC. I took a look at the inside of mine and there doesn't appear to be any sort of antenna or chip, but I'm no expert. Can anyone tell me what, if anything, the original cover that came with my phone needs to be used for? Otherwise, I'm going to try out a shiny new replacement, free of stress cracks.

Thanks!
    07-02-2013 02:37 PM
    Hi guys! Forgive me if this has been posted (didn't find a thread like this)...

My GS4 has a tiny stress crack on the back/battery cover. I have zero idea how that may have even happened, but it bugs me a lot. I hear that knockoff back covers, like the majority of those listed on eBay and Amazon, aren't good for reception because Samsung has something built in to theirs that is important for that, and NFC. I took a look at the inside of mine and there doesn't appear to be any sort of antenna or chip, but I'm no expert. Can anyone tell me what, if anything, the original cover that came with my phone needs to be used for? Otherwise, I'm going to try out a shiny new replacement, free of stress cracks.

Thanks!
    Hi and welcome. What color GS4 do you have? and NFC looks like a piece of black tape on the inside of the back cover. I found a website that has replacement backs.
    07-02-2013 04:45 PM
    I have the white one - link, please! Thanks for the reply!
    07-02-2013 06:04 PM
    I have a replacement extended battery for my SG4 and this scares me a lot. Did I remove a reception feature from the phone when I changed the back cover?

I bought this phone partly over reception issues I was having with my HTC EVO LTE...

Thanks!

John
    07-11-2013 09:23 PM
    I bought a nice white lether back cover for mine that looks like alligator skin. I got it off eBay from China, it took about 2 weeks to arrive but it's very nice and makes an interesting conversation piece.

Posted via Android Central App on my Galaxy S4
    07-16-2013 07:30 PM
    The NFC is built into the battery not the back battery cover. The varous Samsung branded Flip Covers are integrated into a modified/replacement back cover. To use them you set aside (or discard, if you wish) the back cover originally provided with the phone. So if you opt for one of those you could replce your defective cover.

If you plan to get a third party replacement battery, ensure it includes the the NFC capability - reputable 3rd party replacement battery suppliers will explicitly tout that their batteries are NFC capable.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums
    07-17-2013 09:58 PM