Samsung Galaxy S4 SD Card Problem

Reapus

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I always backup my photos and videos on a photobucket account. Takes time, but good to have incase anything goes wrong with your device.

Kyrie Hayes

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't know who the moderator in this group I haven't seen one yet everybody needs to read post number 19 to understand what is going wrong with your SD card it makes absolutely no sense to me it infuriates me that the customer service people know this yet they let you buy the wrong card to put in your phone and you lose all your pictures and videos. So if you want proof that your company knows when you call in and ask for help with your SD card and they say it's not their problem guess what it is and I have the proof if you go down and read it you will see if they know what's going on.

Kyrie Hayes

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
no they cannot be recovered that way they are gone. As soon as you pull it from your phone your card is wiped. I have someone from the military looking through all kinds of stuff that nobody has normal access to to try and recover my concert he said all my sd card is now is a piece of plastic there is nothing on its nothing to recover because I was told incorrectly what card to put into my phone and I lost everything. The only safe way to make sure you don't lose your pictures and videos is to connect your phone to your computer DO NOT DO NOT take out the SD card at any point. Do not move, only copy your pictures to your computer because you may have gotten the SD card that you're not allowed to remove that's why I posted exactly a quote from a customer service rep at AT&T because they all know what's going on and US, the consumers we're not good enough to be told the truth unless we ask which I did so please go down and read post number 19. then you might want to call your carrier and ask them what they know.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't think post 19 is particularly accurate (although the last sentence of the quote at the end of post 19 is good advice - always backup anything important to the Web or your PC). Many people have reported issues with various SD Cards, including Samsung brand cards, in Samsung phones and tablets. There is no indication I've seen (other than post 19), that removing an SD card after properly unmounting it has any adverse effect on the card or its data. Most people reporting problems have stated that the problems occur while the card is in the device, not after they've removed it. I had a problem with my SD card after using it successfully for about a month and never removing it; pictures saved to the card from the camera app started becoming corrupt, as did music I had saved to the card from my PC using either wi-fi or USB. There does not seem to be a particular thing people are doing that causes these issues (although obviously if you do something known to cause problems, like removing a card while data is being written to it, you'll probably cause a problem). I think it's probably some kind of hardware or firmware incompatibility between the Samsung devices and SD cards in general, but have no way of knowing if that's in fact the case.

sin13x

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys I seem to be having the same problem since I put in the sd card and its the 64g sd card. Every picture I take is corrupted and disappears, the only way they save so I can see them is If I take a pic then go in and screenshot it but thats ridiculous!!!!! Such a fab phone and this problem cant be solved?? Any one go into the shop and ask for advice?

Emul

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Possible FIX for the SD CARD PROBLEM !
I've had this exact same issue on my S3 twice, and today my wife had it happen on her phone. Pics turn to bw icons, mp3s die, and visiting the gallery or music player hangs for about 60 seconds. I said to heck with it and formatted my SD card and it displayed messages for "unmounting" then "erasing" then, pow, my files were all restored.
The first time it happened, I thought that maybe Lookout did and instant restore, even though I only have the free version. But the second time it happened, the fix worked again, and the files appeared immediately, too quick for a restore. Today my wife's phone had the same problem so, despite her pleas to not format her SD card, I did so and all her files came backi know that this cannot happen.
I know that by all rights it should have erased all my files. But I've seen it work three times now.
I'm no expert, so I don't want to recommend that you try this on your phone. But if your files are already corrupt and you've got nothing to lose, give it a try.

Posted via Android Central App

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys I seem to be having the same problem since I put in the sd card and its the 64g sd card. Every picture I take is corrupted and disappears, the only way they save so I can see them is If I take a pic then go in and screenshot it but thats ridiculous!!!!! Such a fab phone and this problem cant be solved?? Any one go into the shop and ask for advice?

Do you know if your SD is a legit one (like not a scam one usually found on eBay or Amazon? They say to be 64GB Bur are really 4 or 8GB)? You can use h2testw, I believe, to test if the SD is really what it says to be. It's a program toy can download and test the SD on your computer.

I recommend trying to use Dropbox or Google+ (and perhaps even SkyDrive?) to upload automatically after you take a photo so you can have them backed up!

[Note: I have been doing this since the problem, and sometimes I noticed that the corruption might occur even before the upload even happens. This caused the uploaded photos to be corrupt shortly after.
--
I have mentioned this before, but I have another thread of this problem with more people commenting and having suggestions/additional information. Your can find it here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=315699
--
The other thread has more detail as of what I know about the problem in general.]

I've always wondered if Samsung knows of this problem and has tried fix it... Hopefully in the future an update may come around that alleviates it!

But check out the other thread since it had more participants and more suggestions/information!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Possible FIX for the SD CARD PROBLEM !
I've had this exact same issue on my S3 twice, and today my wife had it happen on her phone. Pics turn to bw icons, mp3s die, and visiting the gallery or music player hangs for about 60 seconds. I said to heck with it and formatted my SD card and it displayed messages for "unmounting" then "erasing" then, pow, my files were all restored.
The first time it happened, I thought that maybe Lookout did and instant restore, even though I only have the free version. But the second time it happened, the fix worked again, and the files appeared immediately, too quick for a restore. Today my wife's phone had the same problem so, despite her pleas to not format her SD card, I did so and all her files came backi know that this cannot happen.
I know that by all rights it should have erased all my files. But I've seen it work three times now.
I'm no expert, so I don't want to recommend that you try this on your phone. But if your files are already corrupt and you've got nothing to lose, give it a try.

Very strange! I'm sure the phone should technically completely wipe the SD card when you format... Do you have any backup applications or automatic upload that may be synced with your gallery? Like for instance, if you have Dropbox, you can have your uploaded photos be viewed in your gallery. It's maybe possible you are seeing those?

Another possibility is that you have your files actually saved on your phone's memory and not the SD card. This could be why you still seem to have your files.

And if you have corrupt files, I still recommend backing them up in their "corrupt," just in case there's a way of restoring them in the future! I still have my corrupt files saved just for this slight possibility.

Emul

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
KevroniCoal - Thanks, but used the file browser (My Files) to verify, and it shows the content of extSdCard. We both have Lookout and DropBox installed, but it ought to take a while to restore hundreds of pictures and songs, not less than a minute. Hmm.

sin13x

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I contacted samsung and this is the reply. Ive done it and so far so good, except the corrupted files are still corrupted, but I can see the pictures I'm taking now.
1) From the standby screen, tap Applications.
2) Select Settings.
3) Select Storage.
4) Select Format SD card (Please note: If this option is disabled, select the option to Unmount SD card first)
6) Select Erase everything.
7) After the card is erased, select Mount SD card.

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I contacted samsung and this is the reply. Ive done it and so far so good, except the corrupted files are still corrupted, but I can see the pictures I'm taking now.
1) From the standby screen, tap Applications.
2) Select Settings.
3) Select Storage.
4) Select Format SD card (Please note: If this option is disabled, select the option to Unmount SD card first)
6) Select Erase everything.
7) After the card is erased, select Mount SD card.

I've done this with the SD card I have right now around 3 or so times I believe [for quite awhile now, I haven't used the SD card due to not wanting to deal with the problem - although I may try using it again to see if the problem is still here].

The first time reformatting the card through my phone didn't work for me (pictures still became corrupt soon after taking them), but the second worked for awhile. I got the problems to stop for about a week and a half for me, but it slowly creeped back until it was like what it was before.
Before I stopped using the card in my phone, I reformatted it one last time, but I haven't used it whatsoever since then.

Let us know if it keeps the problems away! (Oh, and were the still-corrupted photos stored on your card or did you transfer them beforehand or something?)

jonikki

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issues. The sales person at the Verizon sure took my ad card from my old phone and put it in my s4. No problems for a month then I notice sine if my pictures are not showing up and have a"broken" picture image instead. Go back to the Verizon store and ash what is going on. They said I must have used an app to move them and now they are gone. I did NOTHING to my existing pictures. I took photos is all. Some of my older pictures are gone as well as ones I have taken since getting the phone. They told me to go to Wal-Mart and remove the card and get a CD made of the ones that were still good. I have not done that yet as I did not like their answer-they didn't seem like they knew what they were talking about. So I started looking for answers and have found this thread. Not sure what to do now?! Some of the pictures are of my son from boot camp! Help please :)

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issues. The sales person at the Verizon sure took my ad card from my old phone and put it in my s4. No problems for a month then I notice sine if my pictures are not showing up and have a"broken" picture image instead. Go back to the Verizon store and ash what is going on. They said I must have used an app to move them and now they are gone. I did NOTHING to my existing pictures. I took photos is all. Some of my older pictures are gone as well as ones I have taken since getting the phone. They told me to go to Wal-Mart and remove the card and get a CD made of the ones that were still good. I have not done that yet as I did not like their answer-they didn't seem like they knew what they were talking about. So I started looking for answers and have found this thread. Not sure what to do now?! Some of the pictures are of my son from boot camp! Help please :)

They told you one thing that's right - you need to get the pictures copied off the card right away. If you have a Google account you can use Google to back them up online, or you can copy them to the phone's internal memory, or copy them to a computer, but get them copied right now. The Verizon store people can copy them to the phone's internal memory if you're not sure how to do that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

janice18

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with corrupted photos, areas greyed out etc., on my S4 Mini. Same thing, thumbnails look good, but when you open up the photo on the phone or computer they are not complete. I wasn't completely convinced it was just an sd card problem so have done lots of tests. After may trials and errors, and very many hours trying out different camera and gallery apps, I have finally settled on Camera ICS+ and Gallery ICS Both do what I want to do and I am able to attach photos from Messaging, also set Home and Lock Screen wallpapers from the Gallery ICS. However, I have been saving photos to the phone, not the SD card as I want to get a new SD card (the one that came with the phone was some no name brand). So in the next couple of days I will use the new apps with a new SD card and see what happens. Will post the results soon. In the meantime, none of my photos have been corrupted since using the new camera/gallery apps. I have removed defaults from the stock camera and have disabled the stock gallery. Haven't been able to rectify the previously corrupted photos but luckily for me they weren't of really great importance.

nishith825

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem with my new samsung 64gb micro sd class 10 card when used with Galaxy S4. My photo files corrupt and recently video files too. This is really annoying. At first i thought i had a faulty micro sd card, but after going through this forum, it doesn't appear to be the real issue. I had formatted my micro sd card and tried but in vain. I felt one should be really lucky enough if the file hasn't corrupted. However, when i tried copying my backup photos from computer, i did something that retained photos on the card but that is not the real solution though. And what i believe to be is since 64gb + 16gb internal memory is a too large memory and file addresses could be anywhere located on the card, i tried copying very few photo files at a time (around 60-70, any lesser chunk would be even good) instead of copying all files at a time and overwhelming the memory card. Then i went in and opened my photo album in memory card (after each chunk of data copy) allowing it read my photo files properly as i scroll all the way down to check all my photos are displayed properly without breaking or damaging. I did this tedious process and was able to copy around 1000 pics properly. I know all this is unnecessary stuff that i should not really be doing but at least i was able to copy few files. I then started believing that i should not overwhelm my memory card or processor to read files. This is not a guaranteed solution because the problem has not wiped off completely. I would be happy enough to find some solution on this forum. I don't know if its a problem with Galaxy S4 or any android phone or simply micro sd cards but whose ever it is, somebody has to find a root cause and provide customer satisfactory solution.

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with my new samsung 64gb micro sd class 10 card when used with Galaxy S4. My photo files corrupt and recently video files too. This is really annoying. At first i thought i had a faulty micro sd card, but after going through this forum, it doesn't appear to be the real issue. I had formatted my micro sd card and tried but in vain. I felt one should be really lucky enough if the file hasn't corrupted. However, when i tried copying my backup photos from computer, i did something that retained photos on the card but that is not the real solution though. And what i believe to be is since 64gb + 16gb internal memory is a too large memory and file addresses could be anywhere located on the card, i tried copying very few photo files at a time (around 60-70, any lesser chunk would be even good) instead of copying all files at a time and overwhelming the memory card. Then i went in and opened my photo album in memory card (after each chunk of data copy) allowing it read my photo files properly as i scroll all the way down to check all my photos are displayed properly without breaking or damaging. I did this tedious process and was able to copy around 1000 pics properly. I know all this is unnecessary stuff that i should not really be doing but at least i was able to copy few files. I then started believing that i should not overwhelm my memory card or processor to read files. This is not a guaranteed solution because the problem has not wiped off completely. I would be happy enough to find some solution on this forum. I don't know if its a problem with Galaxy S4 or any android phone or simply micro sd cards but whose ever it is, somebody has to find a root cause and provide customer satisfactory solution.

Thank you for the input! In my other thread about this same issue, we also found out that moving/copying only a small chunk of files at a time was a good way of retaining files. Moving too many at a time gives a higher chance of a corruption happening

You can check out the other thread here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=315699

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith