Galaxy S4: Strange Security Message Since 4.3 Update

pressorv

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
same issue here.. i received a new phone and this just started.. grumble.

there is nothing in the notification area to hold on to see the app. can someone explain that better, or am i having a different issue?
Getting the same error 2-3 times a day. Started when I went to 4.3 on the S4

Posted via Android Central App

Shabbir Khorakiwala

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Not only does this message keep popping up, but since I've upgraded to 4.3 my phones been randomly switching off and doesn't even turn on until i put it on charge, the battery drains quicker too. I need a solution to this and ASAP its getting highly frustrating.

Murtadau Gabier

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
did not have time to read through the whole thread to see whether this has been addressed as yet. I did however read somewhere that there is a problem with the KNOX software. I have subsequently gone to my security settings and changed the security level to Normal. if it is on High then i presume this is why we are getting this message. I will look at whether changing my security level back to normal will address the issue and fix this annoying bug in the KNOX software.

focusp

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I have just got a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and am getting the "An application attempting to access system on my device without authorization," message too. For me the message appears every time I connect to wifi. If I disconnect and reconnect to wifi it will show up then. But there was not option to update security as someone mentioned, so I went into the Settings -> Security and unticked Auto Update Security but left Via Wi-Fi only ticked. Then I disconnected and reconnected to my wifi and after a moment the message appeared. But this time there was an update security button in the middle, so I clicked that and it then gave a message saying Security Policy Update and that the current version is now 0016. I then tried disconnecting and reconnecting to my wifi and did not get the security message any more.

Clearly there is a problem with the Auto Update Security as it is not updating the security policy automatically. So Samsung may have fixed the problem, but the roll out of the security update is not happening (at least for my phone).

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
it is a Known issue with Knox, it doesn't hurt anything, the easiest way to deal with it for now is to select " don't notify again for 30 days"

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
This is Knox. It randomly turned on for me.. Without me doing anything... It tried to block my superuser (rooted) access.

If you pull down your notification bar and hold down on the notification when you receive it you'll see that a button pops up and you can hit app info. This works for ALL notifications in Android. It will show you what's causing that notification... And know what it is? I highlighted it below in the screenshot... It's called "Knox Notification Manager".

I froze all of Knox using Titanium Backup (rooted app) so it can't run and now I don't get that message anymore.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

This 👆

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

rugger36

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes...been trying to find a way to disable that and long-pressing on the notification did indeed show "App Info". I clicked on that and it showed the Knox security app (which I had never seen before) and then hit "force stop". All has been well since. Thanks!

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes...been trying to find a way to disable that and long-pressing on the notification did indeed show "App Info". I clicked on that and it showed the Knox security app (which I had never seen before) and then hit "force stop". All has been well since. Thanks!

That will work until you restart, if you're not rooted, just tick the box to not notify you for 30 days, hopefully a fix coming soon.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

You don't need to force stop it, just un check the box "Show notifications".
Two examples below.
1390056604912.jpg
1390056625122.jpg

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
strangely I've been getting this popup as well... hopefully clearing the data/cache mentioned will remedy this.

EDIT: nope, still getting it...

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
strangely I've been getting this popup as well... hopefully clearing the data/cache mentioned will remedy this.

EDIT: nope, still getting it...

Did you do what I suggested on the post before yours?

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Did you do what I suggested on the post before yours?

My KNOX screens are exactly the same as what you see in YOUR screenshots. The "Show Notifications" is grayed out and there's no way to turn it off. I am not rooted BTW, but will be soon...

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
My KNOX screens are exactly the same as what you see in YOUR screenshots. The "Show Notifications" is grayed out and there's no way to turn it off. I am not rooted BTW, but will be soon...

I'm not rooted either, and if you have the same as my screenshots than you have Knox off.

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
This is, my screen matched yours exactly however I was still getting the "strange security message". The whole thing is moot for me now as I've rooted and in the process it completely turned off KNOX.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
This is, my screen matched yours exactly however I was still getting the "strange security message". The whole thing is moot for me now as I've rooted and in the process it completely turned off KNOX.

Good deal!
Now that you're rooted, what are your thoughts and how do you like it?

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Good deal!
Now that you're rooted, what are your thoughts and how do you like it?

I have to say that I'm enjoying the device more now that I'm rooted since I have more options and freedom at my fingertips. It does give me a slight worry as there's no safety net now!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
When Motorola failed to update my Photon 4G I wanted to root that phone, unfortunately those idiots at moto also had locked the bootloader.
So I left moto and got me this Samsung Galaxy S4. I couldn't be happier. As for rooting, I really don't feel the need at the moment, I'm happy with my GS4 the way it is. For now, we'll see what happens down the road.

jtsexyy

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I have just got a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and am getting the "An application attempting to access system on my device without authorization," message too. For me the message appears every time I connect to wifi. If I disconnect and reconnect to wifi it will show up then. But there was not option to update security as someone mentioned, so I went into the Settings -> Security and unticked Auto Update Security but left Via Wi-Fi only ticked. Then I disconnected and reconnected to my wifi and after a moment the message appeared. But this time there was an update security button in the middle, so I clicked that and it then gave a message saying Security Policy Update and that the current version is now 0016. I then tried disconnecting and reconnecting to my wifi and did not get the security message any more.

Clearly there is a problem with the Auto Update Security as it is not updating the security policy automatically. So Samsung may have fixed the problem, but the roll out of the security update is not happening (at least for my phone).

I usually don't sign up for these sites unless I really need help for it because i'm pretty good with my phone but this worked perfectly! I have a galaxy s4, I went to the settings,clicked more, then clicked security, then the section that says security update service I only checked the VIA Wi-fi Only box, clicked the home screen, turned off my wifi, turned it back on, clicked that security message that was on the notification bar, an update option came up, I clicked the update, agreed to the terms & conditions and now it never shows up for me anymore!! I also unchecked the VIA wi-fi only box after it updated just for my preference but i don't think its needed

Thanks a bunch focusp!

Matt c FSC

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I have been getting this message as well and when I tried to update it, it worked but now I think it's not allowing me to install a custom rom on my phone and causes it to brick which is extremely annoying. Be careful if you are trying to download a custom rom onto your phone and need to use a custom recovery. If anyone knows a workaround that would be great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781