What did 4.3 Update & Screw Up?

RickzSII

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Trying to figure out what 4.3 actually update

I see the 4g Icon changed a bit more bloatware and very annoyed they removed the Data toggle switch

Also how does one access KNOX

Posted via Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
4.3 brings more under the hood tweaks. On the visual end is minimal.

One nice option, go to Settings/Battery and you can now enable a percent reading for your battery in the status bar. Very simple but LONG overdue.

Sent from my HTC ONE using AC Forums mobile app

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
4.3 brings more under the hood tweaks. On the visual end is minimal.

One nice option, go to Settings/Battery and you can now enable a percent reading for your battery in the status bar. Very simple but LONG overdue.

Agree batt % display is a nice feature, but it has existed from day one, it's just that it was non-intuitively "hidden" under the display settings submenu.

I have held off on updates since 4.2.2 MDL build based on battery drain and other issues associated with the interim updates before 4.3, so are there any reported bugs or removed features?

Thx

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Agree batt % display is a nice feature, but it has existed from day one, it's just that it was non-intuitively "hidden" under the display settings submenu.
Actually the option to show the battery percentage in the status bar wasn't introduced until Android 4.3. Before that its always been the absolutely useless dummy battery images that go in roughly 10 percent increments.

Battery life for most has seemed to have improved with Android 4.3 and the under the hood tweaks and small user end enhancements is worth it.

jshah500

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Actually the option to show the battery percentage in the status bar wasn't introduced until Android 4.3. Before that its always been the absolutely useless dummy battery images that go in roughly 10 percent increments.

Battery life for most has seemed to have improved with Android 4.3 and the under the hood tweaks and small user end enhancements is worth it.

Not true. I am running 4.2.2 right now and am displaying the battery percentage. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have bought this phone. Sounds picky, but battery percent display is a must have for me.

Zedd

May 11, 2011
Visit site
In 4.2.2,

Settings/My Device/Display/Display Battery Percentage

Posted via Android Central App on my Galaxy S4

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ahh my mistake then. I know it wasn't in 4.2.1 so I assumed it came with 4.3

Thanks for the correction.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No need for shame. The forums are for spreading and receiving android knowledge lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app
Bottom line I should of researched it a bit better before opening my mouth! LOL.

Enjoy.

Paul
Forums Moderator.

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Sprint didn't do much other than add a few extra icons for suggested apps to install and the new 3G/4GLTE icons to match the brand. Those were probably in response to the blandness compared to it's competitors and the previous 4G WiMax. I told support up front I changed my icon to VZW's just because it said LTE then found out this broke Google wallet, LoL.

You can't access Knox directly. It's like parental controls from a bigger parent. In some cases, it even trumps SU permissions which is annoying. I have to find a Knox compatible SQL editor to add my toggles back to Settings.db since SQLite Editor is blocked by Knox. You won't really interact with it much as long as nothing makes it angry. XDA has already found a way to remove Knox.

As mentioned, most of the changes are under the hood for the general populace. You can see a few new apps added to the System layer just by going through your Play Store's installed apps list.

sambo57u

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
For me the biggest improvement is the auto correction by the Samsung keyboard. This was not available for US users
in 4.2 due to a law suit with Apple. You need to enable it in settings.

Chuckles 135

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else notice they cut the camera modes in half like the action shot or motion pictures are both gone.

Posted via Android Central App

schmiedk1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Sprint didn't do much other than add a few extra icons for suggested apps to install and the new 3G/4GLTE icons to match the brand. Those were probably in response to the blandness compared to it's competitors and the previous 4G WiMax. I told support up front I changed my icon to VZW's just because it said LTE then found out this broke Google wallet, LoL.

You can't access Knox directly. It's like parental controls from a bigger parent. In some cases, it even trumps SU permissions which is annoying. I have to find a Knox compatible SQL editor to add my toggles back to Settings.db since SQLite Editor is blocked by Knox. You won't really interact with it much as long as nothing makes it angry. XDA has already found a way to remove Knox.

As mentioned, most of the changes are under the hood for the general populace. You can see a few new apps added to the System layer just by going through your Play Store's installed apps list.

This helps because I was looking for an icon for KNOX. Similarly, is there no way to access Samsung Gear? I see in application manager it is installed, but there is no icon in the app menu. I also don't have the watch yet, buy for future will it just link up automatically or by "adding" my phone to the watch via the watch?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool