Slow wifi

Mitri360

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the problem of my s4 not going past 5 mbps down on my home Wi-Fi. It works on every other connection fine. Just my home connection. Everything else on my network gets the 25/4 that I'm paying for.

Idk what it is why its doing it or how to fix it. Any ideas out there?

Mitri360

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I had to switch my security from aes to tkip

Any ideas why that would cause my speed on my phone to lower so much on my phone only?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
According to the entry in Wikipedia about WPA:

"TKIP (Temporal Key Integrity Protocol) The RC4 stream cipher is used with a 128-bit per-packet key, meaning that it dynamically generates a new key for each packet. Used by WPA.CCMP (Counter Cipher Mode with block chaining message authentication code Protocol) An AES-based encryption mechanism that is stronger than TKIP. Used by WPA2. Among informal names are "AES" and "AES-CCMP". According to the 802.11n specification, this encryption protocol must be used to achieve the fast 802.11n high bitrate schemes, though not all implementations enforce this.[SUP][24][/SUP] Otherwise, the data rate will not exceed 54 MBit/s."

I take this to mean that AES might be needed to achieve wifi data transmission rates on a router that exceed 54 MBPS. However, it seems that shouldn't necessarily impact internet speeds, since the average good internet provider gives download speeds of around 30 MBPS.

I'm not sure why you needed to change your router from AES to TKIP, although as I mention in that guide, this can sometimes help solve connectivity problems. AES is a stronger encryption than TKIP, so obviously AES would be preferable. Do you have multiple access points in your house using multiple routers? If so make sure all of them are using the same encryption protocol.

Maxim Leonovich

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Strange, but switching from aes to tkip helped me too (in exactly the same situation). I have galaxy note 4 and my wifi speed increased from ~3 mbps to ~20.

Btw, note 2 in the same network worked just fine..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2