Sprint Galaxy S4: KitKat

grapkoski

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: KitKat

Sorry, I guess I don't know what a New Spark Edition phone is. I'll look on the Samsung site??

You and I are in the same boat. We both have the Sprint Spark edition (L720T). I am too trying to figure out if the same update applies to us but no avail. Let me know if you find anything!

pixielee22

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! That was my next thought... I rebooted a couple times hoping that was it! The first day it would not even let me charge the phone, but that at least reailved itself... But its still eating battery like crazy, im geyying about 5 hours start to dead with 0 use (laying on the table) it used to last 12 to 15 hours

Posted via Android Central App

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

Thanks! That was my next thought... I rebooted a couple times hoping that was it! The first day it would not even let me charge the phone, but that at least reailved itself... But its still eating battery like crazy, im geyying about 5 hours start to dead with 0 use (laying on the table) it used to last 12 to 15 hours

In that case I'd definitely do a reset and if that doesn't resolve your battery issue I'd take it in to either bestbuy or Sprint

jnichols16

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

You and I are in the same boat. We both have the Sprint Spark edition (L720T). I am too trying to figure out if the same update applies to us but no avail. Let me know if you find anything!
I found out we will get the update later. Our phone has a slightly different OS version.

DO NOT try to use the SPH-L720 software manually, wait for the SPH-L720T upgrade.

Burnt Toast

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I went ahead and manually updated and yah, didn't run into any problems other then (and someone just posted a thread about this) not being able to hide icons on the app list anymore. Battery seems to be much improved (which is nice) and it seems snappier. We'll see in a little bit though.

spensergig

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

Sweet baby Jesus has anyone in the south east received the update? Everyone I know that lives out west or up north has. I feel somewhat slited, lol.

Unleashed From My Galaxy S4
Actually, I think I was the first to get it, and I'm about as southeast as you get.
I'm in Florida, in the Tampa area.

My apps are all working now - Kindle just needed a uninstall and re-install. I miss the green battery icon, but everything else looks good.

Sierra1167

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site

I am in NE Ohio and as of now, have not received the update. My phone is only a couple weeks old and I have the SPH-L720 version. Not-so-patiently waiting.....

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

I am in NE Ohio and as of now, have not received the update. My phone is only a couple weeks old and I have the SPH-L720 version. Not-so-patiently waiting.....

You can get the update manually without waiting.

Download it here: http://android.clients.google.com/p...CSB_user_RP_to_NAE_CSB_user_RP_Update_FWD.zip

That is the exact link and file the the phone gets via OTA.

Put it on you SD card, then boot into recovery. When the phone is powered off, hold down vol+, home, and power and keep holding them down. The phone boots up and you'll see the galaxy s4 logo and in small text at the top it says booting into recovery. Then let go of the power button but keep holding down vol+ and home until you get to a recovery menu. Use the vol keys to scroll through the options and the power button to chose an option. You should see an option for update via SD card and then chose the zip file.

After the phone updates and boots up again, do one more reboot.

NOTE: That is the OTA link for the Sprint GS4s that don't have the new tri-band radios.

Last edited:

mabjr177

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Hi I tried the sd/card update it starts system update then says failed E: signature verification failed.???? does the zip file have to be in a certain file on my sd card or just on my sd card period.???

steele_9

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

No update here in SE Florida. North of West Palm Beach. Phone not rooted or anything. Patiently waiting for OTA. Hopefully this fixes WIFI in and out issues since 4.3 update. Kind of annoying, says Internet connection to slow, disabled.

mikepolinske

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

Did the manual upgrade tonight. I had quite a few apps deleted, but will install as I need them. After the second restart had quite a few messages saying Messenger has stopped. Is there any way I can remove Messenger since I don't use it, I use Google Voice, which was one of the apps I had to re-install.

I like Google Voice because I can then access my texts on any device.

UPDATE: I ended up having to do a factory reset because the "Unfortunately Messenger has stopped" message kept coming up. Restoring all my apps now. Hopefully won't have any issues tomorrow.

Last edited:

Sierra1167

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site

You can get the update manually without waiting.

Download it here: http://android.clients.google.com/p...CSB_user_RP_to_NAE_CSB_user_RP_Update_FWD.zip

That is the exact link and file the the phone gets via OTA.

Put it on you SD card, then boot into recovery. When the phone is powered off, hold down vol+, home, and power and keep holding them down. The phone boots up and you'll see the galaxy s4 logo and in small text at the top it says booting into recovery. Then let go of the power button but keep holding down vol+ and home until you get to a recovery menu. Use the vol keys to scroll through the options and the power button to chose an option. You should see an option for update via SD card and then chose the zip file.

After the phone updates and boots up again, do one more reboot.

NOTE: That is the OTA link for the Sprint GS4s that don't have the new tri-band radios.

Thank you....since I am not very knowledgeable about doing it that way, I am paranoid that I will mess it up. I will just wait for it OTA. Thank you for sharing it for others who are braver than I though. LOL

fivefwdgears

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

I performed the manual update last night as well and only noticed the organization of my apps were all screwed up. Other than that there has been no noticeable problems.

I am happy now that when I hit the back button to exit out of an app that the folder it was opened from closes again.

Sent from my Galaxy not so far far away...

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

Again, location has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with getting an update. One person could get it in your location, and another may not get it for weeks or months.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

Went ahead and manually upgraded. Lost more than a dozen apps.

They all reinstalled ok except for DoubleTwist. It can't find the MicroSD card. Uninstalling and installing didn't help. Syncing it with my iMac worked fine. The app still can't see my MicroSD card.

Come on DoubleTwist, get your act together.

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

Most of us know that location has nothing to do with updates.

Posting about it is like Android Update social checkin :)

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

Apparently most don't, because most of the posts seem to have to mention where they aren't getting the update...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax