Recently I have been getting pop ups on google chrome when using different appsn mostly them being instagram and facebook. Today it happened when opening up the camera app. The pop up takes me to a page titled droidresearchapp.info. I ran scanns using lookout and adnetwork detector but everything always comes up fine. I also cleared the cache in google chrome but nothing seems to work. I also have not downloaded any apps recently. Can anyone reccomend anything else I can do?
    01-01-2014 03:43 PM
    Just curious if you figured out the cause? I have an HTC One M7 with the same issue starting several weeks ago. No new apps downloaded in quite a while (though app updates are turned on), and all of my apps are from Google Play (no non-trusted sources). Randomly a new tab in my browser will fire up and go to droidresearchapp.info, which appears to start streaming an all-black video in an embedded player. The purpose of this appears to be nothing other than killing your data plan, as I got a nastygram from AT&T saying I had burned through 5GB in a few days (when I usually use maybe 1GB a month).

I did a complete factory reset and erased all data a few days ago. I then restored my settings from backup and re-installed the 40 or so apps I run. I had no problems until this morning, when Chrome popped up again and went to droidresearchapp.info while I had Spotify running while driving to work. Argh!

So now I'm looking at ANOTHER factory reset, with no clue what app this piece of cr@p malware is piggybacking on.

Thanks in advance!
    01-10-2014 11:45 AM
    Just curious if you figured out the cause? I have an HTC One M7 with the same issue starting several weeks ago. No new apps downloaded in quite a while (though app updates are turned on), and all of my apps are from Google Play (no non-trusted sources). Randomly a new tab in my browser will fire up and go to droidresearchapp.info, which appears to start streaming an all-black video in an embedded player. The purpose of this appears to be nothing other than killing your data plan, as I got a nastygram from AT&T saying I had burned through 5GB in a few days (when I usually use maybe 1GB a month).

I did a complete factory reset and erased all data a few days ago. I then restored my settings from backup and re-installed the 40 or so apps I run. I had no problems until this morning, when Chrome popped up again and went to droidresearchapp.info while I had Spotify running while driving to work. Argh!

So now I'm looking at ANOTHER factory reset, with no clue what app this piece of cr@p malware is piggybacking on.

Thanks in advance!
    Around a day after posting this thread I stopped having the problem but started to have it again a few days ago. Idk what to do about and it's pretty frustrating.
    01-12-2014 03:26 AM