Visit site
Routers Used:
Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk
Stock Firmware Versions: V1.0.2.194_1.0.15 // V1.0.2.164_1.0.15
Kong Firmware Versions: 23250

Asus AC1900 RT-AC68R
Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.374_205

My Devices capable of 5GHz:
Two Separate Galaxy S4 phones (802.11ac)
Nexus 7 Tablet (non 802.11ac)
Nexus 5 Phone (802.11ac)
Panasonic TC-PST50 Television (non 802.11ac)

Symptoms on Netgear AC1900 R7000 with firmware version V1.0.2.164_1.0.15:
Galaxy S4 experienced excellent coverage and speeds on 5GHz network. Unreliable connections with random drops occuring every 5-30 minutes, however. Only GS4 would display these issues, Nexus Devices and TV maintained connection to network/internet as well as the 2.4GHz devices and ethernet plugged devices.

Symptoms on Netgear AC1900 R7000 with firmware version V1.0.2.194_1.0.15:
Galaxy S4 had excellent speed with VERY limited range. Within 5 feet of router, phone obtained maximum connection speeds. After that, every few feet speeds would drop significantly. Once out of the room (less than 15 feet away), the GS4 would lose connection entirely. Nexus devices and TV did not experience this issue.

Symptoms on Netgear AC1900 R7000 with firmware by Kong, version 23250:
Exact same symptoms and results as with the stock Netgear firmware version V1.0.2.194_1.0.15 -- VERY limited range.

Symptoms on Asus AC1900 RT-AC68R with firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.374_205:
Exact same symptoms and results as with the stock Netgear firmware version V1.0.2.194_1.0.15 -- VERY limited range.

Attempted Fixes:
Factory Resets on Routers and GS4
Tried different channels on the router using WiFi analyzer to help choose
Specifying Wireless Modes (N+AC, N, Auto, etc)
Disabled WiFi Power Save Mode on GS4

Notes:
No noticeable issues with the 2.4GHz or wired devices with any router or firmware versions -- though I've been primarily focusing on the 5GHz.
Phone: Software Version: MK2, Hardware Version: L720.08, Non Rooted

Does anyone else have any experience with the Samsung Galaxy S4 and connection to a 5GHz network using 802.11ac?

Last edited:

krispy521

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I am now on my 3rd S4 with the same wifi issues. I have a Netgear N900 Router and I only have problems on 5ghz. My wifes S4 works with no problems at all.

SntaCruz83

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I am now on my 3rd S4 with the same wifi issues. I have a Netgear N900 Router and I only have problems on 5ghz. My wifes S4 works with no problems at all.

That's really interesting, Krispy. When you have a chance, could you check the software/hardware versions in the "About Device" section of the phones and see if there are any differences between yours and your wife's? I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

krispy521

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
That's really interesting, Krispy. When you have a chance, could you check the software/hardware versions in the "About Device" section of the phones and see if there are any differences between yours and your wife's? I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Her phone is exactly like mine except she has the purple one and I have the blue one. I am now on my 4th one. Same issue on the 5ghz band only. I have even returned the N900 router and upgraded to the Netgear AC6300. No change still. Everytime I call best buy they say they haven't heard of this issue.

Another thing that sucks is that I cannot duplicate the issue in the store because they do not have any 5ghz networks. I have been told that the 4th one is now my last return and they only thing left to do is return it again but I can only exchange it for a different phone. I don't want a different phone. I want what I paid for to work.

viking2.0

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I see the same issue with my samsung s4 gt-i9500 and the netgear r7000. I get 100% signal throughout my home but the connection speed drops from 117 mbps in living room 5 ft from the router to 6 mbps upstairs. I cant browse at all on my phone upstairs. I am thinking of returning the netgear and getting the asus rt-ac68 but looks like the same issue is seen there as well.

Can you guys please confirm if its the samsung s4 issue and not the router? Strangely the phone doesnt even connect to the 5ghz 802.11n network. Last night it didnt connect to the 5g network at all. Only when i came down to the living room did it connect again.

netgear r7000 - firmware V1.0.2.194_1.0.15
samsung s4 - gt-i9500 android 4.3
baseband - I9500UBUEMK1

krispy521

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Well. Best Buy hooked me up big time. They let me swap my 4th S4 for a Note 3 at no additional cost. It's been almost a week without any wifi issues. Fingers crossed.

lincoln44

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Same exact issues. My wife and I both have the same blue GS4's from Best Buy and they are linked to a Netgear R7000 router. Mine will only stay connected at the 5ghz signal if the phone is sitting on top the router. 2.4ghz works just fine on the phone at all range. The wife's phone stay's connected at 5ghz without any problems, same "about phone" versions. I've gone through several netgear firmware versions, now using the most recent beta but still no luck. Verizon offered to send me a used replacement but my phone is only a month old, after reading about all the other people with issues I'm tempted to just stick with 2.4ghz. Samsung offered shipping to have it sent to them to look into the issue, I really don't want to bother with that two week process unless it goes out all together. Just sharing that I too am dealing with the same issue.

SntaCruz83

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting, lincoln44. Yesterday I bit the bullet and sent my phone in to Samsung to have them take a look at it. It took 4 phone calls to get through to someone in their advanced technical support who didn't rely on a script to troubleshoot. One representative told me she checked with her supervisor and informed me that Samsung phones don't support the 5Ghz band. :confused:

Anyway, when I got through to the advanced technical support, the representative was quite helpful. Ultimately though, the best fix he could think of was to send in the phone and have them swap out the wireless chip/card. He said he made a note of it in my account to replace the part since if they received my phone and tested it, it would be unlikely that they would make sure to step far enough away from a router to reproduce the problem and may end up thinking there is nothing wrong with the phone.

It is really important that anyone with these issues come forward and post on forums, whether it be here, Samsung's forums, or on their carrier's forums. While talking with tech support he browsed the net looking to see if others had encountered this problem. He found this thread along with some others on XDA's and it helped him conclude that this may be an issue with many phones and not just an isolated incident.

I will post back in 7-10 days when I get my phone back with any updates.

dougc405

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
My S4 has trouble on 5 ghz band with my Netgear N7000 Nighthawk. When I ran Wifi Analyzer last night, the signal fluctuated from strong to non-existent every few seconds unless I was in the same room as the router. I have resorted to using the 2 ghz band. Given that my Internet connection is 25/25, it probably doesn't make much difference anyway.

SntaCruz83

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Doug, that sounds exactly like what I experienced. I only get 30/5, but our 2.4 band is pretty congested and I want any of our wireless devices that can be on 5Ghz to be on it. Thanks for posting.

Here's a video showing what I've been describing with the Asus router. Can probably just start half way through the video to see it actually not work beyond the first room.
Galaxy S4 WiFi Issue - YouTube

lincoln44

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Quick update about my GS4 5ghz issue. I sent my phone off to Samsung after all, took about a week total turn around and the only cost was the box to ship it in. The repair tracker with Samsung indicated that they changed my PBA (printed board assembly) and as of right now my 5ghz is working again with my R7000 router. If I have future problems I will re post but it seems to have been fixed. After doing some online reading to figure out what a PBA was, this seems to be the item repaired quite often for people who had issues with their galaxy phones...just an observation from the readings.

SntaCruz83

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I sent mine in to Samsung and they sent back a phone that won't activate with Sprint. Based on the hair-thin scratches on the camera lens, I'm pretty sure it was refurbished. I'm a little annoyed because the phone I sent back was in just about perfect condition. In any case, they are supposed to have called me back with an update on how to get this phone activated but I haven't heard from anyone yet and I'm unable to fully test out the phone. :/ I really wish they had just changed out the PBA and sent me my original phone.

elhCA71

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the same configuration (R7000) and the same problems with my S4. I get a strong 5ghz signal 5 feet from router, drops at about 10 feet, then "fades" in and out beyond that. If I connect to the 5ghz band within the magic 5 feet, I can move all over the house and it stays connected. If I drop it and try to reconnect outside the magic 5 feet, it won't connect again. I also have a Netgear EX6100 range extender and it "extends" the same problem with the 5ghz band. Also can connect to the EX6100 within the magic 5 feet and stay connected as I move away. I have no problems with any of my other 5ghz devices although the S4 is my only ac device. No problems at all with 2.4ghz band.

SntaCruz83

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
If I connect to the 5ghz band within the magic 5 feet, I can move all over the house and it stays connected.

That seems a bit different than what I experienced. Though, as my video I posted earlier would show, even though I lose my data connection, the signal meter still shows full bars. Are you sure you are still sending/receiving data when you move out of the "magic 5 feet" range or does it just appear to be because you have full bars? Try connecting within the 5 feet area and play a youtube video and test the range.

Igor Boitsov

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Have problems with 5 GHz AC Wi-Fi connection between S4 i9505 and ASUS AC66. Sometimes phone just unable to connect ("Receiving IP adress" message stays for a long time). After establishing connection it lasts for 5-10 minutes, then connection just stacks, data can't be send or received. With 2.4 GHz - no broblems.

Tried no change control channels, connect from far or near, but it didn't change anything.

As a remember, these problems had appeared after installing 4.2 or 4.3 update, can't say exactly.

elhCA71

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I stand corrected. I tested with youtube and it failed. So, even though it shows a connection I an unable to use the connection.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok the 5 ghz is faster but its not stronger as it seems higher power disipates faster so your range is effectively half of the slower yet longer reaching 2.5 ghz bands why the hell do you think lre data channels are low bad freaquencies do some research

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

SntaCruz83

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok the 5 ghz is faster but its not stronger as it seems higher power disipates faster so your range is effectively half of the slower yet longer reaching 2.5 ghz bands why the hell do you think lre data channels are low bad freaquencies do some research

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

I think the reduced range of the 5Ghz band is a pretty well understood concept. The issue I (and others) have been describing is occurring within a range of less than 10 feet with direct line of sight to the router; you're oversimplifying and ignoring that there is in fact a bigger issue. I went into detail about the number of routers and firmwares I used and how the issue only presented itself on the GS4 and not the Nexus 5. Additionally, once I had a replacement sent to me, the phone has been working fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10