Samsung Galaxy S4 - Sprint - WiFi issues with 802.11ac (5GHz) connections

SntaCruz83

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Have problems with 5 GHz AC Wi-Fi connection between S4 i9505 and ASUS AC66. Sometimes phone just unable to connect ("Receiving IP adress" message stays for a long time). After establishing connection it lasts for 5-10 minutes, then connection just stacks, data can't be send or received. With 2.4 GHz - no broblems.

Tried no change control channels, connect from far or near, but it didn't change anything.

As a remember, these problems had appeared after installing 4.2 or 4.3 update, can't say exactly.

It's kind of a shot in the dark but have you set your 2.4Ghz network and 5Ghz network with different SSID names?

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the reduced range of the 5Ghz band is a pretty well understood concept. The issue I (and others) have been describing is occurring within a range of less than 10 feet with direct line of sight to the router; you're oversimplifying and ignoring that there is in fact a bigger issue. I went into detail about the number of routers and firmwares I used and how the issue only presented itself on the GS4 and not the Nexus 5. Additionally, once I had a replacement sent to me, the phone has been working fine.

Possibly a glitch or a poor solder job on the wifi intina my last htc phone was pleagued with it till someone took it apart and took some some solder and made the intenas longer it worked really well but im not taking my phone apart

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Possibly a glitch or a poor solder job on the wifi intina my last htc phone was pleagued with it till someone took it apart and took some some solder and made the intenas longer it worked really well but im not taking my phone apart
Also power saver will lower power the radios

parradigm

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Same problem.

It was a little buggy to begin and then it went to hell after the last update.

I've played with all the settings and no dice.

Time to return the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

parradigm

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Too add. Wife's phone is more stable but not perfect. Hers is white, mine black

I also used the wifi analyzer. Signal strength up, signal strength disappears. Repeat every couple of seconds.

Last edited:

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I was reading a forum for routers and something came to light seems samsung doesn't play nice with certain encryption and will cut signal the solution was to make a less powerful encryption under a guest and simply not use wpa/wpa2 encryption

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Too add. Wife's phone is more stable but not perfect. Hers is white, mine black

I also used the wifi analyzer. Signal strength up, signal strength disappears. Repeat every couple of seconds.

Are you running wpa/wpa2 encryption?? If so samsung kernels don't play nice with that level of encryption

1BadBoyToo

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you running wpa/wpa2 encryption?? If so samsung kernels don't play nice with that level of encryption

So you're saying that I should remove WPA/WPA2 from my 5G radio to work with my Galaxy S4? If so, my only other option is WEP - and it's not much of an option. What the hell is Samsung doing so that it doesn't work with these routers/drivers/methods? Is it a software issue or hardware issue? If software, how have some folks gotten better results by having their PBA boards replaced?

Seems like some folks have had success replacing the PBA board on some phones which resolved the issue, but I don't want to chance sending my phone in and getting one back that was not treated nicely. I like my phone, but my connection is terrible. Drops randomly!

Can I purchase a PBA board and do the swap myself (or take to a phone repair kiosk to perform repair)?

Last edited:

levoresume

May 1, 2014
Visit site
my ac (or 5ghz) issues started couple of days ago, right after i unlock my galaxy s5. before that it's relationship with my netgear r6200 was perfectly fine. now i can't see any 5ghz band if it's not coming from cisco router (very strange). i hope any kind of firmware update helps.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
So you're saying that I should remove WPA/WPA2 from my 5G radio to work with my Galaxy S4? If so, my only other option is WEP - and it's not much of an option. What the hell is Samsung doing so that it doesn't work with these routers/drivers/methods? Is it a software issue or hardware issue? If software, how have some folks gotten better results by having their PBA boards replaced?

Seems like some folks have had success replacing the PBA board on some phones which resolved the issue, but I don't want to chance sending my phone in and getting one back that was not treated nicely. I like my phone, but my connection is terrible. Drops randomly!

Can I purchase a PBA board and do the swap myself (or take to a phone repair kiosk to perform repair)?

It's most likely the Kernel build as far as I know AOSP roms don't have that issue as it is the standard wifi encryption so samsung must be tweaking it with th knox security to try and add more code but it will most likely kill the connection

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
EURICA!!!!!! I FOUND A WORKS AROUND!!!! VERY VERY SIMPLE AND EXPOSES SOMETHING A FLASH IN THE DESIGN :( SEEMS IF YOU PUT IT IN AIR PLANE MODE YOU VIRTUALLY KILL THE TOWER CONNECTED AC TV ATT WIFI GUESS WHAT 4 1/2 HOURS NO CONNECTION ISSUES SO WHAT DOES THIS TELL YOU???? CARRIERS HATE WIFI SO IM ASSUMING THEY SCREW IT UP AND WANT YOU TO USE PRIMARILY make you use the data plan

levoresume

May 1, 2014
Visit site
thanks metle_geek but unfortunately it didn't solve my issue :(

i just can't see any 5ghz network besides cisco modems... it's really strange

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Because if they're not on WEP or ope nits most likely not going to show mine disappeared to Samsung apparently only uses Cisco products?? After all they are basically the king of routers and cable boxes google only bought the mobile side of moto Cisco bought the cable box and router side...

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Routers Used:
Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk
Stock Firmware Versions: V1.0.2.194_1.0.15 // V1.0.2.164_1.0.15
Kong Firmware Versions: 23250

Asus AC1900 RT-AC68R
Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.374_205

My Devices capable of 5GHz:
Two Separate Galaxy S4 phones (802.11ac)
Nexus 7 Tablet (non 802.11ac)
Nexus 5 Phone (802.11ac)
Panasonic TC-PST50 Television (non 802.11ac)

Symptoms on Netgear AC1900 R7000 with firmware version V1.0.2.164_1.0.15:
Galaxy S4 experienced excellent coverage and speeds on 5GHz network. Unreliable connections with random drops occuring every 5-30 minutes, however. Only GS4 would display these issues, Nexus Devices and TV maintained connection to network/internet as well as the 2.4GHz devices and ethernet plugged devices.

Symptoms on Netgear AC1900 R7000 with firmware version V1.0.2.194_1.0.15:
Galaxy S4 had excellent speed with VERY limited range. Within 5 feet of router, phone obtained maximum connection speeds. After that, every few feet speeds would drop significantly. Once out of the room (less than 15 feet away), the GS4 would lose connection entirely. Nexus devices and TV did not experience this issue.

Symptoms on Netgear AC1900 R7000 with firmware by Kong, version 23250:
Exact same symptoms and results as with the stock Netgear firmware version V1.0.2.194_1.0.15 -- VERY limited range.

Symptoms on Asus AC1900 RT-AC68R with firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.374_205:
Exact same symptoms and results as with the stock Netgear firmware version V1.0.2.194_1.0.15 -- VERY limited range.

Attempted Fixes:
Factory Resets on Routers and GS4
Tried different channels on the router using WiFi analyzer to help choose
Specifying Wireless Modes (N+AC, N, Auto, etc)
Disabled WiFi Power Save Mode on GS4

Notes:
No noticeable issues with the 2.4GHz or wired devices with any router or firmware versions -- though I've been primarily focusing on the 5GHz.
Phone: Software Version: MK2, Hardware Version: L720.08, Non Rooted

Does anyone else have any experience with the Samsung Galaxy S4 and connection to a 5GHz network using 802.11ac?

I just purchased the Nighthawk router and am having the same issue with the 5ghz network. I have a strong signal everywhere in my house but I can't access the network. I have 3 Moto X's in the house and they are having no issues on that band. Did you ever find a fix?

levoresume

May 1, 2014
Visit site
just an update, after i downloaded wifi analyzer, somehow i started seeing 5ghz networks and was able to access my router.
right now everything seems ok.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased the Nighthawk router and am having the same issue with the 5ghz network. I have a strong signal everywhere in my house but I can't access the network. I have 3 Moto X's in the house and they are having no issues on that band. Did you ever find a fix?

Are you using wpa2 encryption? ? Turn off your encryption to your 5gh and see if it pops up Samsung's encryption keys are not compatible with most routers

Jay2212

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Routers Used:
Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk
Stock Firmware Versions: V1.0.2.194_1.0.15 // V1.0.2.164_1.0.15
Kong Firmware Versions: 23250

Asus AC1900 RT-AC68R
Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.374_205

My Devices capable of 5GHz:
Two Separate Galaxy S4 phones (802.11ac)
Nexus 7 Tablet (non 802.11ac)
Nexus 5 Phone (802.11ac)
Panasonic TC-PST50 Television (non 802.11ac)

Symptoms on Netgear AC1900 R7000 with firmware version V1.0.2.164_1.0.15:
Galaxy S4 experienced excellent coverage and speeds on 5GHz network. Unreliable connections with random drops occuring every 5-30 minutes, however. Only GS4 would display these issues, Nexus Devices and TV maintained connection to network/internet as well as the 2.4GHz devices and ethernet plugged devices.

Symptoms on Netgear AC1900 R7000 with firmware version V1.0.2.194_1.0.15:
Galaxy S4 had excellent speed with VERY limited range. Within 5 feet of router, phone obtained maximum connection speeds. After that, every few feet speeds would drop significantly. Once out of the room (less than 15 feet away), the GS4 would lose connection entirely. Nexus devices and TV did not experience this issue.

Symptoms on Netgear AC1900 R7000 with firmware by Kong, version 23250:

Symptoms on Asus AC1900 RT-AC68R with firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.374_205:

Attempted Fixes:
Factory Resets on Routers and GS4
Tried different channels on the router using WiFi analyzer to help choose
Specifying Wireless Modes (N+AC, N, Auto, etc)
Disabled WiFi Power Save Mode on GS4

Notes:
No noticeable issues with the 2.4GHz or wired devices with any router or firmware versions -- though I've been primarily focusing on the 5GHz.
Phone: Software Version: MK2, Hardware Version: L720.08, Non Rooted

Does anyone else have any experience with the Samsung Galaxy S4 and connection to a 5GHz network using 802.11ac?

Jay2212

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I have just received a new galaxy s4. My first had no connection issues and I could access the Internet anywhere in my home. I had issues with my sm card and had to return it for a new s4. My new one will only work when I'm about 10 feet or closer to my wifi router. I have no Internet accessibility anywhere else in my home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae