No Notification For Texts Sprint Galaxy S4

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I have been having this pretty darn annoying problem of my Sprint Galaxy S4 not providing any notification whatsoever when l receive a text. I have everything set so that I should be getting a notification in my notifications bar, a preview notification on my lock screen and a vibration plus ringtone when I get a text - but I just don't get those.

This started at least a couple months ago, but not much longer than that. What happens now is that my phone would just not vibrate, make a sound and show a new message notification - even if I knew for a fact I received a text. My messaging app, the stock app for the phone, doesn't even show the little # bubble usually saying how many new messages I have. (Although it might rarely do so). I also have the setting on my phone to vibrate when I have a notification when I pick it up while it's asleep. However, this does not work now either.

Because of this, I have not been getting to my texts as they come to me, making me reply sometimes hours late when I really shouldn't be.

I went to my local Sprint store (I might stop by again to see if they might do something this time), and they didn't know why this was happening. They recommended me to call customer services (or, whatever the 611 number is). I called twice, and they even reset my network, I believe. However, nothing helped either.
I have tried clearing the cache of the messaging app as well, but to no avail.

I have some screenshots showing some of my settings just in case I missed anything if that's possible.

I feel like I'm missing something to mention, but maybe it might come back to me. But for the record, everything else works fine (calling, internet, etc.). Texting in general also works fine - it's basically JUST the notifications not working.

Oh! I guess one thing to mention is that when I was at school this past quater, I tended to study in this one library that I has absolutely no signal (well, no Sprint signal...). When I would leave the library, I would usually get loads of texts and missed calls. I'm not sure if this would have caused the problem, but it could be possible that the constant no-signal for my phone "reset" its notification memory or something (if that's actually a thing at all haha), thus leaving me notificationless.
The problem hadn't occurred until perhaps halfway or two-thirds through the quarter, during which I basically had no signal for a many hours a day.

Anyways, I have these screenshots that hopefully can give you guys an idea of what I have. Also, I have another (well, two) thread about a separate problem with the S4 and SD cards. It's slightly different than what you may have seen before: the files in the card become corrupt and... yea the thread would explain it more!

But thank you guys for any help!

Photos of my messaging settings, showing that I updated everything I could and how I see no notifications:
uzane9a4.jpg

eseva4ym.jpg

umynusem.jpg

hyre3a4y.jpg

ypa5e2yp.jpg

8y7ugara.jpg

ymagejy7.jpg

5e2utyjy.jpg

bumuzepy.jpg

e5ure2yd.jpg

jedyga6u.jpg

And my other threads if anyone is interested!:
Samsung Galaxy S4 SD Card Problem - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Micro SD Card Corruption Issues - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Thanks again! And I apologize for the extremely long post!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

84guy

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Do you have another sms app installed? I know apps like handcent will disable notifications from the stock sms app even if you disable notifications in it, so you won't get any notifications. If that isn't it, id recommend getting 8sms from the play store. Awesome stock android sms app

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Do you have another sms app installed? I know apps like handcent will disable notifications from the stock sms app even if you disable notifications in it, so you won't get any notifications. If that isn't it, id recommend getting 8sms from the play store. Awesome stock android sms app

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4

Oh wow I actually never thought of that! I ironically have that exact app too hahaha, handscent sms. I've never had any problems with it before which is odd, since I've had it for awhile longer than the problem occurring. I'll try deleting it and e I'd that helps! If not, I'll also try the one you mentioned!
I got handscent because I would sometimes get notifications of a message not sent, and I heard this app wounds help. It did, but that's the only use I had for it :p

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674