HELP rooting my S4 and enable wifi

tlp560

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
hi, my S4 SPH-L720 is still on 4.2.2, with wifi enabled. I've a notification from sprint about upgrading to 4.3, but i'll lose root and wifi if i do that. I've been searching around and found there're methods to root it on 4.3, but i'm not sure about getting wifi enabled again. Could someone please guide me on how to root it AND enable wifi after i'm on 4.3?
thank you

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Your phone is currently rooted? Is it safe to assume that you didn't flash a custom ROM yet?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
If you want your phone updated to 4.3 I would suggest flashing a custom ROM. Not only will it get you the update, it should stop any OTA notifications from coming through. I haven't seen an OTA pop-up in years....lol

tlp560

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
can i still upgrade to 4.3, root it and re-enable wifi without flashing a custom ROM? if so could you give me some info?

If you want your phone updated to 4.3 I would suggest flashing a custom ROM. Not only will it get you the update, it should stop any OTA notifications from coming through. I haven't seen an OTA pop-up in years....lol

tlp560

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
i've done that to my photon4G long time ago and the ROM I installed was so bad...Took me a while to figure out how to get it back to stock rom...I'm new to this.
Is there a good ROM I could use for this phone? I'm not asking for a perfect one, but the less bugs the better :) i remember while looking for rom on my photon, lots of them were "wifi will not work, video player will not work...etc.)
that's why i'd like to stay on stock, but root and wifi enabled :)

thanks
You'd rather go through all that than simply flash a ROM?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I had the Photon 4G too and the ROMs for that device definitely weren't perfect. You can find a lot of good ROMs now and especially for the S4.

Just to clarify, when you say you want wifi enabled do you mean wifi tethering or just the ability to connect via wifi?

tlp560

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
sorry, it's wifi tethering ...i'm already able to connect via wifi
i did the wifi tethering by following qbking77 video by getting the 2 odexed files online (or something like that :) and placed them into the system folder. Wondering if i can do the same thing once i'm on 4.3 and rooted.
I had the Photon 4G too and the ROMs for that device definitely weren't perfect. You can find a lot of good ROMs now and especially for the S4.

Just to clarify, when you say you want wifi enabled do you mean wifi tethering or just the ability to connect via wifi?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I would head over to XDA and pick a 4.3 ROM to flash so you don't even have to update. Then if the ROM doesn't have wifi tether, flash that mod I linked.

idk8080

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
if you download a root file explorer and check folder /system/framework/ you'll see either services.odex or services.deodex
also, you want to check your baseband version and find out what it ends with, if MK (e.g. MK2), then don't download that MOD or you'll get the 'Yellow Brick'. I literally just spent the last 2 days trying (successful) to unbrick a friend of mines phone for this reason.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
could you let me know if i'd need the Deodex,or Odex?
so for the steps, i'd need to run the official 4.3 upgrade first, then root it (do you have the instruction to root it?), then do the tethering from the url you gave above right?

Not sure if you have already done anything but I agree with VDub. Stay away from the official 4.3 firmware, there is no way to undo it yet. No custom ROMs or hotspot at the moment.

Posted via Android Central App