GS4: No backup/resore in "recovery mode"????

The screen/digitizer were smashed on my GS4; I can not see the screen or use it to contol the phone. There were no changed to the stock software that came with th GS4 from Sprint (no ROMs, kernals, custom software). There were no backups, backup software, or anything I need stored on the SD card. I was delivered a replacement GS4 through the insurance.

I was hoping to use the new phone to guide the old phone (with only hardware keys and no screen) through a complete backup to the SD card and then swap it to the new phone for recovery. However, there doesnt appear to be a "backup" or "restore" option in the GS4 recovery mode.

Without the ability to activate USB/developer permissions on my smashed phone, a Sprint store or computer backup/recovery is impossible. My previous Android (Epic 4g) could be completely backed up to SD card and restored from SD card using "recovery mode".

Am I making this more complicated than it is? Do I have any options? Can I use recovery mode for its namesake?
    01-13-2014 05:58 PM
    GS4: No backup/resore in "recovery mode"????

The screen/digitizer were smashed on my GS4; I can not see the screen or use it to contol the phone. There were no changed to the stock software that came with th GS4 from Sprint (no ROMs, kernals, custom software). There were no backups, backup software, or anything I need stored on the SD card. I was delivered a replacement GS4 through the insurance.

I was hoping to use the new phone to guide the old phone (with only hardware keys and no screen) through a complete backup to the SD card and then swap it to the new phone for recovery. However, there doesnt appear to be a "backup" or "restore" option in the GS4 recovery mode.

Without the ability to activate USB/developer permissions on my smashed phone, a Sprint store or computer backup/recovery is impossible. My previous Android (Epic 4g) could be completely backed up to SD card and restored from SD card using "recovery mode".

Am I making this more complicated than it is? Do I have any options? Can I use recovery mode for its namesake?
    Stock recovery doesn't offer any options to backup. If the PC won't recognize the phone, then I can't think of any way to recover any valuable data. If you were able to get it recognized, installing a custom recovery might be able to solve your issue. But you would have to install it on the new phone as well

Posted via Android Central App
    01-13-2014 09:09 PM
    Same thing with my Prism II (aka Huawei... a bunch of numbers and letters) -
    GS4: No backup/resore in "recovery mode"????-sam_0189.jpg

It can't backup, why don't you do the thing i'm doing and look for recovery mode software to do it?
    06-07-2014 08:48 PM
    the same problem after rooting my old gt-i9500? when u fixed this prob please contact me , thanks!
    02-28-2016 07:13 PM