Sprint S4: New NAE OTA killed my WiFi

VSAM1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
ok guys, here I am once again I have found out that the problem is the update VPUFNAE or the NAE like we call it doesn't change
our Baseband version. if you go to SETTINGS and About device you will notice that the baseband its still MK2 if you previously had
the MK2. but if you go down a little bit you will find out that the build Number its the new NAE., if you have this problem, this is the reason why the
wifi doesn't turn on. in order they have to match, am writing this in simple words. so I came out with the same problem wifi wont work after updating
to the new kitkat version 4.4 also known as NAE this might be because I had rooted my phone.

I have had previously explained how to fix this on the MK2 version when we had the MJA. and the MK2 update came out.you can check it out on this
link so you have an idea what we talked http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...rint-s4-mk2-ota-update-today-killed-wifi.html

so but how we fix the NAE wifi problem ? well I will explain it to you below it is really simple.
I am not an expert but I have the ability to figure things out. and this helps me a lot. and saves me a lot.
NOTICE! this method wont make you lose any data, like pictures apps etc.
the steps are easy here we go....

First- you will need odin3-v1.85 note! ( you might already have it when you downloaded it to root your phone )
if you don't have it just Google it and type odin3 v1.85 click on the Odin 1.85 - XDA-Developers link
Second- get the firmware xda-developers - View Single Post - [FIRMWARE][ODIN] All Sprint Firmwares {2/13/14}
we will need NAE MODEM FIRMWARE so download the one that says NAE mirror 1.
once downloaded unzip it on your desktop or anywhere as long as you know where it is.
Third step- open odin3-v.185 run it as administrator (you can see it by doing a right click )
Fourth step- get your phone onto download mode( by powering off then hold vol down and power) hit continue on your phone!
then plug your phone to your computer and Odin will detect the phone. (make sure you have the Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones 1.5.27.0)if you
don't have it this might be a reason why wont work.
Fifth step- check Odin once the phone is detected, click on PDA and find NAE-modemonly file where you unzipped and select it. make sure auto reboot is
checked on odin nothing else some Odin versions has this already checked so you cant mess with it. but some don't.
Sixth step- click start and let it work. after its done it will reboot.
and now you will have your phone working as it used to. I got this method to work on my sprint Galaxy S4
hope this post will help understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

sambo57u

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Sprint S4:NEW NAE OTA KILLED MY WIFI

Someone at XDA suggested an easier approach; download the firmware zip file (available at XDA) to your external SD card.
Boot the phone into recovery mode by holding the volume down and power buttons simultaneously until it boots into the
recovery mode. Select update system from external storage (or something similar), select the zip file and redo the update
this way manually. Apparently, this does it. I just updated mine manually Saturday and everythign is at the same version with
no problems.

isuftin

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

VSAM1, this method worked. sambo57u, I also tried your method first but it did not work. During the update through the recovery mode method, it hit two errors and tried to finish the update. Afterwards, I rebooted and still had no access to wifi.

Side-loading through ODIN works though.

scottsdale_34

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site

got my kitkat update via Samsung Kies.. it killed my Wifi too... I kept getting a security warning.. I went to the Sprint store and they wanted to wipe my phone and do a factory reset and reload the kitkat software.. I grabbed my phone and ran out of the store. I knew there had to be an easier way and I found this.. this was perfect.. what a lifesaver.. thank you!! Was so fast and easy to install using Odin and downloading the file marked "Latest NAE firmware".

jd11023

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Words cannot describe the appreciation I have for you, VSAM1. Ever since I installed KitKat, WiFi wouldn't work and I spent hours upon hours fiddling with it. You saved me heartache, headache, and a dreaded trip to Sprint. Thank you, sir. You're a good one.

rahulf2

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
EDIT: Nevermind. I flashed the stock ROM (AFTER) updating the modem and it seems to work. Thank you!

Hello,
I have tried this + many other attempts (flashing stock, using wipe data/factory reset) etc. but I have not fixed my wi-fi problem.

The problem, specifically, is that my Wi-Fi will not turn on! I can press/hold the on switch for as long as I want and nothing will happen! The same thing happens if I try to turn on the "hotspot" option in my settings (although I never use it).

My mobile data works, but if anyone has a solution to this wifi problem I would be greatly appreciative!

j4gz

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys I have a similar issue I am still on 4.2.2 rooted and mdc , mf9 I keep losing my wifi never get a signal unless siting next to the router so what would you guys advise that I just Odin the nae modem and everything should be fine and back to normal ?

Elpoep

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi-- I received a phone in boot loop.

I used the newest Odin, 3.10.0, and flashed a stock rom for my SPH-L720 (Sprint Gal S4). This cleared my boot loop. -- I have updated Samsung USB drivers -- v1.5.45.0(1)

Wifi has not worked and I had a pretty lengthy thread over at xdna for help.

I tried two different stock roms... and nothing. I tried Odin 3.7... and nothing.

I'm back on a stock rom and the phone is on Android 4.4.2

Baseband is L720VPUFNG2

will this method fix my wifi? If so, do I have to root the phone again or can I simply just flash the modem?

Do I need the NAE version with the bootloader or the one without?
-------_____________------------------
UPDATE: I tried flashing the NAE mirror version and Odin gave me a pass BUT my phone gave me a security warning "...an unauthorized action was blocked..." BUT my baseband now says: L720VPUFNAE with build Number:
KOT49H.L720VPUFNG2

Still no Wifi

I'm on a stock rom -- phone is NOT currently rooted.

Thanks for posting this thread and double-triple thanks if you reply!... so, uh THANKS!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair