Sprint Galaxy S4: Apps Missing After Kit Kat 4.4.2 OTA Update

packpackpack

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Very frustrating to find that after this morning's OTA update I found that I had approximately 30 apps that were missing in action. Not only that, no evdience of these aps in Google Play's 'My apps', free and purchased. Ouch. I could find no pattern with the missing apps, some were even Google (Gmail, Chrome, etc...) Thank goodness for AppBrain.

Last edited by a moderator:

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Apps Missing After Kit Kat 4.4.2 OTA Update

did you get them all reinstalled without a hitch? any other issues you been experiencing? I have the OTA update but I am worried to install it. Do you see excessive battery drain? any other issues with messaging not responding?

packpackpack

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Reinstall of apps went fine. Battery usage is normal. The only issue I noticed was that messaging was not responding. I could type in a message and see nothing. Verified that keyboard worked in other apps. I then powered the phone down, removed battery, replaced and powered back up. At that point I noticed that the phone began updating apps again, as if the installer hadn't initially finished, even though I received an 'Android update successful' message. Looks like it was optimizing an additional 46 apps. This could have been the apps that I reinstalled, or it could have been the originally missed apps, not sure.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I took the leap and installed the update. So far it's great. No apps missing, no bugs. liking how smooth it is... white notifications are cool.. pretty pleased thus far. Will report any issues as they arise.

84guy

May 25, 2010
Visit site

I also lost alot of apps, but a restart brought them back

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4

ericp74#CB

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

The only issue Im having after the update is my battery life. Its gone down 40% in 3 hours with normal use. Compared to the 30-40% I used to get in a 9 hour work day.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

The only issue Im having after the update is my battery life. Its gone down 40% in 3 hours with normal use. Compared to the 30-40% I used to get in a 9 hour work day.

That is odd. I would check on what app is using up the battery (if any) or if all else fails, do a factory reset. I am on day 2 of the KitKat update and I actually have noticed an increase of battery. My normal work day is 8-5. I unplug at 7:30 and by this time in the day (1:40) my battery would be at 70% with moderate usage and right now I am at 88%. Pretty impressed thus far. Hope you get your battery back to normal!

mikepolinske

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

I also have noticed better battery life, though I've been on Wi-Fi the last couple days without have to search for a 3G/4G signal. I'll see how it goes when I am back in the office where there is no Wi-Fi.

Also, I've noticed that my phone doesn't heat up like it was.

It may have helped that I did a factory reset because when I first updated to 4.4 I got constant "Messaging has stopped" errors.

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Reinstall of apps went fine. Battery usage is normal. The only issue I noticed was that messaging was not responding. I could type in a message and see nothing. Verified that keyboard worked in other apps. I then powered the phone down, removed battery, replaced and powered back up. At that point I noticed that the phone began updating apps again, as if the installer hadn't initially finished, even though I received an 'Android update successful' message. Looks like it was optimizing an additional 46 apps. This could have been the apps that I reinstalled, or it could have been the originally missed apps, not sure.
This. It has been confirmed that for some odd reason, the app optimization takes two boots for many people instead of just one. If you are missing apps, rebooting again will restore most if not all of the missing apps.

theyams

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Same here. Lost a bunch of apps after the OTA update. But I can't remember what all I had, so that's a bummer. I guess if I can't remember then I really didn't need them. Bah.

jarjarbinks

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

bah. same thing just happened to me. sprint, galaxy s4. a bunch of apps are missing. unfortunately i don't remember exactly which apps i did have. i do know Viber and Kik are missing... nowhere to be found, even in my downloaded apps.... ah well. first world problems.

UPDATE: i reset my phone like someone mentioned upthread -- those apps are now back!! but they're in the "apps" folder, so i have to re-add the icons to my wallpaper/home screens. the only reason i know it worked is that i got an incoming Viber message immediately after restarting my phone. :D

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

UPDATE: i reset my phone like someone mentioned upthread -- those apps are now back!! but they're in the "apps" folder, so i have to re-add the icons to my wallpaper/home screens.

Worked for me too. Updated my wife's S4 and she was going crazy with apps missing. Naturally I got the blame for updating it, anyways the reboot suggestion worked. All her missing apps returned after the reboot.

rikiliz87

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Mine just disappeared this morning, and no matter what I do, I can't get them back. The phone is randomly shutting itself off and back on, I can't reinstall the apps because my storage shows like they are still there. My icons are there, but when you click on them, it says "application not installed" and takes me directly to that app in Google Play to download again. I have no idea what to do to fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca