Sprint Galaxy S4: "Android System" is draining my battery since I updated to KitKat

dllebandroid

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
The kernel is now up to 91%!! Battey life has gone from great, to, bad, to horrible... but no single app is drawing over 2%... Wish I could figure out what was destroying the battery -

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

its like that on my phone as well. i used to get 5 hrs of SOT on average and now i struggle to get 3 1/2 hrs of SOT because of the kernel

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Nice to know I'm not the only one... Wish we could figure out what was causing it, though .

Glad I have a spare battery. ;-)

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
My S4 received the Kit Kat update and once it rebooted the lock screen was freezing and within 1 hour the battery went from 90% to 17%! I noticed the GPS icon at top left was flashing rapidly as if it was unable to locate reference points. I switched off the GPS and all seemed well as long as it remained off. I use hands free with a Bluetooth headset when driving so the first time I made a call the "driving mode" activated the GPS again and the phone was back to messed up. The only way I have been able to correct the problem is to ensure GPS is off, hands free is off and then pull the battery.

I did stop by a Sprint tech store and the tech was very helpful. He learned a bit with my experience and he informed me of all the other issues. Sprint has instructed the techs to NOT attempt to roll back the system as the phone will brick. Sprint and Samsung are supposedly working on a patch and as long as you have reported your issue to Sprint you should receive a patch within a coupe weeks. If you have not yet upgraded to Kit Kat my advice is DO NOT DO SO until the issues have all been resolved. Fortunately my wife's S4 did not receive an update notification until a few days after mine so we know not to proceed. With luck this will be corrected quickly, all else seems to work as long as the GPS remains off.

It seems the updaye breaks the gps this is true with at&t as well which simply means its a samsung issue it seems the only fix is to factory reset twice and let it charge with the phone off

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Nice to know I'm not the only one... Wish we could figure out what was causing it, though .

Glad I have a spare battery. ;-)

Ok go to settings more find battery and see which app is using the most power

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Should look something to that effect dont worry about the red its a custom rom for at&t gs4 I might of migrated here by accident as im seeing sprint??

Attachments

• 1395154706801.jpg
    1395154706801.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 35

mikefour77

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
This is my problem... The kernel is keeping the phone awake for more than four hours.... Hopefully they release a fix for this.

Screenshot_2014-03-19-22-39-42.jpg

EPownes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I don't know if this will be of any help but it is worth a try.

I experience battery drain every time I update on my HTC one AT&T version. The problem that happens is that the updater that ATT provides tends to keep looping even after the update is finished.

I'm not sure how it works on Sprint but on ATT if you check software and there is nothing available it will tell you to wait 24 hours before you try again.

What I do is go into your date and set it manually a day ahead. After you have done this, check for software updates again. If it says everything is up to date again, go back into your date and set it back to automatic.

This tends to disrupt the loop of the updater to keep looking for new software and I think the kernel name is redbend if you happen to see it under your wakelock detector.

Again, I don't know of sprints updater works the same but this works for me every time and it seems it is the only thing that works.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if I have a unlocked atT phone if I'm still eligible for the upgrade to kitkat?

Posted via Android Central App

Only att can push that on the stock rom so simply pop in an at&t sim and your going to have it pushed but if your on 4.2.2 stay the hell away root and flash as you please loki doki dont work on 4.3 or 4.4.2 so you have been warned also kit kat will screw over your sd card and break your gps

ireorp

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I have the same battery drainage problem. It's the Android system and Exchange services which drains the battery. This has happened to me previously, and then it was the Google Play services which drained the battery. Last time the problem lasted for a couple of days, and then the battery returned to "normal", without my changing any settings or anything. This time, however, the problem won't go away by itself!!! But I still do not see how my changing the location settings or any other settings can fix the problem permanently. This is not the cause of the problem (I know, because I did not mess with any settings before this problem started). So in my opinion, changing settings will only be "symptoms treatment"...

guitardoc64

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Rooted stock, somewhat debloated and the HSIC wakelock is eating battery and causing 1/2 the battery life I had before. So far I haven't seen any solution and nothing that I have tried has worked. Luckily, I still have the MF9 bootloader so I can at least go back. MF9 was rock solid for a stock ROM, and really had no issues to speak of.

Kirk Johnson2

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Looks exactly like my phones battery profile, same exact wavelock problems . Only started after NG6 update, not the intital kit kat update. Did you ever find a solution?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci