Sprint Galaxy S4: "Android System" is draining my battery since I updated to KitKat

dllebandroid

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Before I updated yesterday my phone had good battery life, and the wake time was under 20 mins in a 17hr-36hr span. I could literally have the screen on and play music off the google play music app and the phone would still be asleep according to the battery monitor on the phone. Now if i turn the screen on or play music the phone awake and cannot fall asleep, but when the screen is off and no music is playing then the phone falls to sleep. I have the phone unplugged @ 91% for almost 40 mins and the screen is taking 51% with 26 mins SOT, android system is taking 26% running for 7 mins, android OS is taking 9%, media (which always starts out at the top since the update) is taking 6%, GSM battery monitor is taking 2%, google play services is taking 2%, and com.android.systemui is taking 2%. Can someone please explain to me why android system is now draining my battery way more than it should?

Last edited by a moderator:

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: "Android System" is draining my battery since I updated to kk

Mine is the same since update.

Android System and Android OS are sucking the battery

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

not sure if there's an easy fix for this, but I was reloading the MK2 ROM over the weekend, as well as wiping before finally getting things just the way I wanted and then loading all my settings and apps. unfortunately I had to wipe again last night because my battery was draining like a whirlpool all day yesterday despite putting the phone into airplane mode. culprit was also the "Android System" using the most battery as listed in the Battery section. after doing a wipe and reloading my crap last night I've been back in business since! highest battery user now is the screen, which I believe is normal.

dllebandroid

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

bdmridgeback Thats terrrible. I don't know what is causing Android System and Android OS to keep the phone up so much

dllebandroid

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

not sure if there's an easy fix for this, but I was reloading the MK2 ROM over the weekend, as well as wiping before finally getting things just the way I wanted and then loading all my settings and apps. unfortunately I had to wipe again last night because my battery was draining like a whirlpool all day yesterday despite putting the phone into airplane mode. culprit was also the "Android System" using the most battery as listed in the Battery section. after doing a wipe and reloading my crap last night I've been back in business since! highest battery user now is the screen, which I believe is normal.
I don't think that there is one. I wish apps like "wake lock Detector" worked on KitKat

Shane Kinsch

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Same here (Sprint)... a temporary fix was the completely disable Google Now (as suggested in other forums) but that didn't last long. I actually had my phone plugged in last night (20% remaining) and it drained completely while it was plugged in! It shutdown / powered off because it had no juice, then started to charge.

I believe it's not going into deep sleep. Possibly because of the bluetooth connectivity with my Galaxy Gear, I dunno.. I doubt it's the Gear because I'm seeing a lot of posts about the battery issue after the KitKat update.

GSam Battery Monitor --> msm_hsic_host wakelocks is taking up a considerable amount of time preventing the phone from going into deep sleep.

dllebandroid

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

Same here (Sprint)... a temporary fix was the completely disable Google Now (as suggested in other forums) but that didn't last long. I actually had my phone plugged in last night (20% remaining) and it drained completely while it was plugged in! It shutdown / powered off because it had no juice, then started to charge.

I believe it's not going into deep sleep. Possibly because of the bluetooth connectivity with my Galaxy Gear, I dunno.. I doubt it's the Gear because I'm seeing a lot of posts about the battery issue after the KitKat update.

GSam Battery Monitor --> msm_hsic_host wakelocks is taking up a considerable amount of time preventing the phone from going into deep sleep.

deleted_wake_locks and man_hsic_host wakelocks are preventing my phone from going into sleep. I don't even know what it causing them to awake the phone.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I don't think that there is one. I wish apps like "wake lock Detector" worked on KitKat

GSam battery monitor still works on KK I believe

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

dllebandroid

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

GSam battery monitor still works on KK I believe

It works to a degree. I need the partial wake lock that "wakelock detector" can do. Google change the permissions in KK so i would have to root my phone to get that feature.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

It works to a degree. I need the partial wake lock that "wakelock detector" can do. Google change the permissions in KK so i would have to root my phone to get that feature.

I thought it worked without root. In that case it's the same as WLD. Good thing I have root :)

trublond

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

What are you location services settings. I use to have wifi/cell/gps and my Android System was very high and I had poor batter life. I turned wifi/cell off and I am just using GPS and it has greatly improved.

dllebandroid

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

What are you location services settings. I use to have wifi/cell/gps and my Android System was very high and I had poor batter life. I turned wifi/cell off and I am just using GPS and it has greatly improved.

my location services are turned off.

fppc

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
My S4 received the Kit Kat update and once it rebooted the lock screen was freezing and within 1 hour the battery went from 90% to 17%! I noticed the GPS icon at top left was flashing rapidly as if it was unable to locate reference points. I switched off the GPS and all seemed well as long as it remained off. I use hands free with a Bluetooth headset when driving so the first time I made a call the "driving mode" activated the GPS again and the phone was back to messed up. The only way I have been able to correct the problem is to ensure GPS is off, hands free is off and then pull the battery.

I did stop by a Sprint tech store and the tech was very helpful. He learned a bit with my experience and he informed me of all the other issues. Sprint has instructed the techs to NOT attempt to roll back the system as the phone will brick. Sprint and Samsung are supposedly working on a patch and as long as you have reported your issue to Sprint you should receive a patch within a coupe weeks. If you have not yet upgraded to Kit Kat my advice is DO NOT DO SO until the issues have all been resolved. Fortunately my wife's S4 did not receive an update notification until a few days after mine so we know not to proceed. With luck this will be corrected quickly, all else seems to work as long as the GPS remains off.

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
My S4 received the Kit Kat update and once it rebooted the lock screen was freezing and within 1 hour the battery went from 90% to 17%! I noticed the GPS icon at top left was flashing rapidly as if it was unable to locate reference points. I switched off the GPS and all seemed well as long as it remained off. I use hands free with a Bluetooth headset when driving so the first time I made a call the "driving mode" activated the GPS again and the phone was back to messed up. The only way I have been able to correct the problem is to ensure GPS is off, hands free is off and then pull the battery.

I did stop by a Sprint tech store and the tech was very helpful. He learned a bit with my experience and he informed me of all the other issues. Sprint has instructed the techs to NOT attempt to roll back the system as the phone will brick. Sprint and Samsung are supposedly working on a patch and as long as you have reported your issue to Sprint you should receive a patch within a coupe weeks. If you have not yet upgraded to Kit Kat my advice is DO NOT DO SO until the issues have all been resolved. Fortunately my wife's S4 did not receive an update notification until a few days after mine so we know not to proceed. With luck this will be corrected quickly, all else seems to work as long as the GPS remains off.

interesting... how will we know the issues are fixed if we don't update to Kit Kat?

dllebandroid

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

How do you know if Sprint and Samsung are working on a patch?

Tsukiyomi

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list. My phone's been exactly the same. I was loving the battery life on this until Kit Kat. Now rather than 1 1/2 or so days with normal use I'm getting about 9 hours. My wife did the update and hers is even worse.

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ditto - the first 2-3 days were okay , but then the wheels fell off and I'm getting 8-9 hours tops...

...and the kernel is drawing 86-89% at times... used to be 30-40%

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The kernel is now up to 91%!! Battey life has gone from great, to, bad, to horrible... but no single app is drawing over 2%... Wish I could figure out what was destroying the battery -

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta