My wife dropper SG S4 on the floor last night and broke the screen and or the digitizer. When if first happened, only the top third of the screen was readable, the rest was garbage. Now, nothing is visible. The screen is black. I can see a couple of very faint creaks along the edge and the phone as to be held at a certain angle and in the light for them to be seen. The phone must have landed just right for this to happen, because it fell on a car petted floor, and has a very nice case protecting it.

I want to pull off any photo's and contacts that she had on it, just in case this phone can't be salvaged.

I plugged the phone into my primary PC, Windows 7, and I can access the SD card and primary memory. I can pull off the photo's and backups of the contacts that I made back in June. However, I know that she has added contacts since, so I was wondering if there is a way that I can pull out all of the contacts from her contacts? I'm assuming that they're in a database of some kind and if so, is there a desktop application that I can use that will retrieve them?

Thanks.

Daryl
    09-18-2014 06:08 PM
    If the contacts were stored on her Google account, they're safe and sound in the Cloud and ready to be downloaded onto her next device. You can check this on her GMail account, it's under Contacts.

If she didn't save them there (for instance, if she chose to save them on the device or SIM card), you should still be able to pull these by connecting your phone via USB to a PC with Samsung Kies installed. And if this is the case, next time make sure the contacts are stored in the Google account hehe It really does save you a lot of problems.
    09-18-2014 06:28 PM
    When we first got our phones a year ago, I tried Kies,but for some reason I couldn't get it to work. I had forgotten all about Kies, so I thought that I would try again. This time it works and I am able to backup the entire phone, contacts, photos, everything all in one big step.

Thanks SpookDroid. I appreciate the your help.

Daryl
    SpookDroid likes this.
    09-18-2014 07:24 PM
    No problem. But honestly, back stuff up in Google's cloud. It's super easy and it will only make it easier when you switch phones, no matter what the brand.
    09-19-2014 11:04 AM
    SpookDroid,

I appreciate your comments, but I will not put anything personal online, especially with google. I don't want google datamining my data and contacts.

I do have a follow up question.

As I mentioned earlier, I was able to successfully "backup" all of the data from my wifes using Kies, but I can't see the contacts. I can see all of the photo's that were backed up, but I can't see contacts. I know they were backed up because Kies said that they were backed up. Is there a way to export them out of Kies so I can import them into her old phone? I temporarily activated her old phone, and want to restore her contacts.

Thanks

Daryl
    09-19-2014 02:02 PM
    Wow, I don't have Kies in front of me (I don't mind having my info on their Cloud, so I literally haven't used it since my old Note 2 :S) But I do recall there's a Contacts section there, and you should be able to see them there if they were backed up. I'll try to install Kies when I get home to confirm if you need me to.
    09-19-2014 03:14 PM
    Thank you SpookDoid, I appreciate you looking.

Daryl
    09-19-2014 04:07 PM
    SpookDroid,

I finally had the chance to look at my Kies again. The contacts are backed up using the Back up/Restore feature along with calendar, call log, and a ton of additional information from within the phone, but I don't see a way to view or to export the contacts.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Daryl
    09-19-2014 05:35 PM