A couple months ago, my daughter dropped my S4. The screen went black. I restarted the phone and nothing. No visible cracks to the phone. I thought maybe the screen/digitizer went bad. Last night, finally got one in and swapped over everything. Nothing changed. Still a black screen. The phone turns on and I can hear to getting notifications so I assume the actual phone is working.

Any one have any ideas on the issues and possible fixes?

Thanks
    03-03-2015 07:40 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! At this point, it's probably worthwhile to bring it to a repair shop. You might have done the replacement incorrectly, or the replacement screen might be defective, or maybe it's a problem with the connector rather than the screen.
    03-03-2015 11:34 AM
    Thanks for the welcome.

So those are the three things that can be the issue?
    I doubt I installed it wrong as this isn't my first screen replacement I have done. Did it on my S3 twice. Well one screen then one frame, screen and digitizer.

I can see the new screen kit being messed up.

Is there a way to check the contection?

I will be taking it to the rapier shop this weekend if time allows it.
    03-03-2015 01:54 PM
    With your experience, it's probably less likely that the repair process went wrong (although you never know--maybe there was a static electricity discharge that fried something). The screen itself could still be defective. Not sure how to test the integrity of either the screen nor the connection, sorry.
    03-03-2015 02:31 PM
    I hope I didn't fry it. I will get the girl to take it to sprint and see if they can do anything. Just paid $125 for the new screen.
    03-03-2015 11:04 PM
    I am about to message the seller of the screen but wanted to make sure I have some facts straight. What can cause a phone to only show a black screen? Just a bad LCD or a bad connection? Could the motherboard be bad?
    03-04-2015 01:37 PM
    Since you say that when you turn the phone on, you can hear the phone working (based on the presence of notification tones), it's likely that it's just the screen that is nonfunctioning. But I can't tell you if it's the screen itself or its connection.
    03-04-2015 06:11 PM
    Thanks for all your help.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    03-05-2015 08:51 AM
    Well, went to the sprint repair store. ******* was useless. Didn't offer to fix the phone, just tried to sell me some LG phone and "upgrade". Wanted like $75 for the phone +8/month for 2 years. I asked if it was under a warrany, but because it had some small nicks on it, he said samsung wouldn't warranty it because it was dropped and abused.
    The guy was very helpful.

I wonder if I can get with Samsung direct and they might take care of the phone? I will find out now.
    03-06-2015 08:43 AM
    Sorry to hear it. It's going to be hard to get the phone covered under warranty if there's any evidence at all of physical damage. Even if the problem has nothing to do with whatever caused that damage, it's pretty difficult to prove that it's not related. The device has to be essentially pristine for it to be covered under warranty.
    03-06-2015 10:23 AM