This is not an Evo question per se but it directly relates to me getting one. I've heard countless times, Verizon's network is bigger, more reliable etc. Which I think is the general consensus. However under certain Sprint plans they allow you to roam for free, (supposedly on Verizon's network) albeit at slightly slower speeds according to Sprints own website.

So my question is would I really notice much coverage difference? Should I theoretically get the same coverage as the Verizon guys?
    04-27-2010 10:48 AM
    This is not an Evo question per se but it directly relates to me getting one. I've heard countless times, Verizon's network is bigger, more reliable etc. Which I think is the general consensus. However under certain Sprint plans they allow you to roam for free, (supposedly on Verizon's network) albeit at slightly slower speeds according to Sprints own website.

So my question is would I really notice much coverage difference? Should I theoretically get the same coverage as the Verizon guys?
    correct, you will get theoretically the same "phone" coverage but you will get terribly slow data connections while you are roaming. that said, quality of service for sprint is dependant on coverage basis per location. regardless anywhere sprint or verizon has phone coverage you will have it.
    04-27-2010 11:06 AM
    Excluding data, how well does voice work while roaming? Can I expect poor signal and/or dropped calls?

I guess that's my main concern, data secondary.
    04-27-2010 11:29 AM
    Excluding data, how well does voice work while roaming? Can I expect poor signal and/or dropped calls?

I guess that's my main concern, data secondary.

it is only based off of signal strength, so theoretically the more bars the better service. Verizon has about the largest coverage between sprint and verizon they pretty much cover the entire US. If you can find an area where sprint or verizon doesnt work i would be suprised.
    04-27-2010 11:46 AM
    I can only speak for the Northeast of the US, but Sprint's been rock-solid for me.
    04-27-2010 11:50 AM
    I haven't had any problems with dropped calls. Roaming, not often, voice is as close to the same as I can tell but as mentioned data is slooooww.
    04-27-2010 12:15 PM
    It sounds slightly different when Roaming, but honestly, I have yet to Roam with my Hero, did it all the time in the Palm Pre though.
    04-27-2010 12:23 PM

Yes, and No. I've used Sprint for ~10 years now. Generally, coverage is good and I never really had TOO much to complain about. Of course, like with any carrier, it all depends on your location and where you go.

Having said that, here's some info for you to consider. Yes, Sprint roams on Verizon. Most people will say, "Well if I'm roaming on Verizon then it basically like using Verizon, or at least getting their coverage." Here's the one thing that most people don't talk about.... Sprint does NOT roam on ALL of Verizon's towers. Sprint leases a butt-load of towers from Verizon, but not all of them. While you do have a large roaming area leased from Verizon, you don't have all of it.

If you never or seldom roam, then great. If you work or travel through areas that do roam, you need to check your priorities. Battery life takes a huge hit when roaming because the device is always looking for Sprint coverage. Data speed is also poor.

Like I said, I've used Sprint for many years. I've also tried ATT twice within the past year for the iPhone. IMO here on Long Island, ATT's service is worse than Sprints. If you are someone who needs to not be roaming, needs not to be missing calls and really does want the best coverage there is, unfortunately you'll have to pay Verizon's premium. I swore up and down for years that I'd never go to Verizon... times and needs have changed.

Either you choose your carrier for their network, pricing or device(s). Make sure you're well informed before you lock into a contract.
    04-27-2010 03:38 PM
    That's good information. I'll definitely take advantage of Sprint's 30 day money back deal if I need to. Judging from the coverage maps I should be fine for the 90% of places I visit.
    04-27-2010 05:02 PM
    The issue can really be divided up into two sections:voice and data. As far as voice goes, with Sprint as long as you have two bars (in my experience) the calls with come through clear. If your ever roaming, probably on Verizon, the large number of towers you have will probably get you call quality at least that good. Short answer: voice will be fine on Sprint with roaming, pretty much anywhere. Just don't be in always roaming or you may get the boot. check coverage.
    Now data:the problem would seem to be that the EVO is obviously a data intensive phone, and the data speeds you get will greatly impact performance. Now that I'm done playing captain obvious, I will say that when I am roaming I get web pages on my blackberry at speeds very comparable to if I was on Sprint's network, at least 2.5g type speeds. Whether this is fast enough for you is a personal decision, but something like the EVO, I wouldn't get it if I was not in an area with Sprint 3G at least 80-90% of the time. Just my two long winded cents.
    04-27-2010 05:59 PM
    Hey, sprint rep here just to clarify a few things. In terms of voice coverage sprint recently overtook verizon based off of coverage in terms of population by about 1.4 million people. Verizon does have a slightly larger 3g network, but of course sprint has the only and the larger 4g network.

One can roam on verizon, but with lower speeds most of the time. However, typically sprint has a better signal strength in cities vs. verizon and sprint probably has a little bit better capacity. Personally Verizon only seems as a superior network because of the name, marketing, brand etc. Sprint has a had a very crappy reputation for sometime, but they truly have the best network or are equal to Verizon's, but the service plans are much cheaper. Like any carrier, coverage varies by location so check the coverage map at coverage.sprint.com
    04-27-2010 06:35 PM
    Hey, sprint rep here just to clarify a few things. In terms of voice coverage sprint recently overtook verizon based off of coverage in terms of population by about 1.4 million people. Verizon does have a slightly larger 3g network, but of course sprint has the only and the larger 4g network.

One can roam on verizon, but with lower speeds most of the time. However, typically sprint has a better signal strength in cities vs. verizon and sprint probably has a little bit better capacity. Personally Verizon only seems as a superior network because of the name, marketing, brand etc. Sprint has a had a very crappy reputation for sometime, but they truly have the best network or are equal to Verizon's, but the service plans are much cheaper. Like any carrier, coverage varies by location so check the coverage map at Sprint-Welcome
    Source for coverage of population statistic?
    04-27-2010 10:51 PM
    Sprint playbook, which I can't get from my internet at home, only at work.
    04-28-2010 12:42 AM
    i recall this to be correct..308M population coverage..though this does include USVI and PR.

04-28-2010 08:22 AM
    Cool, thanks for the replies. I actually believed you right off the bat. Promise. Sprint has always made a great focus of putting there coverage in the spots where people are (population hubs and major roads, presumably from their strong beginnings in business) as opposed to saying "we cover Wyoming and you don't. Nyah!"
    04-28-2010 09:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD