EasyTether - Get caught using?

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
So I have been paying the 30 a month for the hotspot to use with my Tablet. I thought I had to be rooted to do any kind of tethering. EasyTether will work on my phone and tablet.

My question has anyone used this and got nabbed from Sprint and got charged additional data fees?

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If you don't go over the 5gb softcap you should be OK; however, I would be very careful. Since sprint changed their hotspot cap yesterday, they may be looking into accounts a little more thoroughly.

Used to have this conversation on Crackberry about TetherBerry (later named Tether) for blackberry - most people had no problem but some people got caught and had several hundred dollars in data overages. The conclusion we came to was people tended to get caught when they had a huge jump in data usage (like, for example, 1gb per month to 6-7gb per month) . So if you choose to use one of these Apps, keep your usage around where you had it before you started using hotspot and gradually work your way up.

YMMV.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Technically it's Sprint, but the softcap pretty much applies across the board. Most people will report that they have never gotten caught and use ridiculous amounts of data, but regardless of provider be aware of your usage and they can (and have, according to reports) charge you extensively if you get caught.

YMMV. Use rooted tethering options at your own risk.

thesmj

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't they be unable to definitivly prove that you were tethering? I remember on the Precentral forums this question was asked, and those that have received nastygrams from Sprint accusing them of tethering chimed in. The users in question said they just told them that no, they were not tethering, and Sprint never charged them.

Sure, you may be using a lot of data, but what if you're using Pandora and watching HD youtube videos all the time? Once your phone is rooted, they have no foolproof way of knowing weather the data is actually being consumed on the phone, or if its getting forwarded off to another device.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I choose not to risk it. They say they can't definitively prove what data is used, but I have seen reports of people on the hook for thousands of dollars.

Honestly, I don't know if they can tell or not. From what I've always read, if total usage is under 5gb/month they won't even look, so that's why I always advise to be conservative with tethering if you aren't paying for it.

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I use FreeTether on my Pre when I am on the road with my work laptop or Touchpad...and it works great. I have for years and Sprint has never said a word. Of course, I don't watch moves on it. My monthly data usage is about 4 GB.

This is one of the Sprint advantages that keeps me with Sprint...as well as price...but my resolve is slipping due to network issues and the fact that any Sprint phone that I buy now will have the wrong radios in it for their forthcoming LTE expansion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante