Why The iPhone 4S Failed To Excite

pream5

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
A lot of us Sprint users have been waiting for years for this day when the iPhone would be announced on Sprint, and now it is finally here, but the special iPhone shine seems to have left (at least, for now) after watching Apple unveil their newest iPhone family member: iPhone 4s.

I had stuck it out with my Palm Pre (had it since it launched) in hopes of a high-end device like the iPhone, and I must say, I'm completely underwhelmed. The iPhone 4S is a middle-of-the-road phone at best. I will try not to get too in-depth and I will try to make a fair comparison below for those of you who care to read on.

To start things off, I will say that the iPhone 4S is a "filler" release. It's a device that functions more as a "placeholder" for Apple in the marketplace until their next major device release (iPhone 5, hopefully). As the details are unfolding, it is becoming more apparent that Apple intended the iPhone 4S as a bridge between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5. Apple could have done this even a year back and it would have been fine, but the way Android and Windows (with their new release of Mango) are contending for market share this could prove to be a poorly thought-out decision by Apple.

Let's just face the facts of the iPhone 4S when compared to the top Android phones (we'll take the Samsung Galaxy S2 as an example):

1) S2 has a faster 1.2GB processor.

2) S2 has twice the ram at 1GB.

3) S2 has a 2 megapixel front facing camera instead of Apple's VGA.

4) S2 has a larger screen. The actual debate of Super AMOLED+ vs Apple's Retina display pretty much boils down to personal preference so I won't get into such a moot point.

5) S2 has direct built-in HDMI support and it charges the phone during an HDMI connection (no dock needed).

6) S2 has a removable battery, whereas the iPhone does not. I'm sorry, but a smartphone without a removable battery is a deal breaker unless you plan on having some charging mechanism with you at all times. We all know that smartphones draw a lot of battery life and that batteries have a limited life cycle.

7) S2 has microSD expansion of up to 32GB on top of the 16GB it comes with. Apple will probably tell consumers that they didn't include a microSD card because their on-board storage is faster and more reliable, but don't get lost in their euphemisms. The translation of such statements - in my opinion - is, "we wouldn't be able to make more money from you if we were to include a microSD card slot in our phones". Thus, you're stuck spending a lot more money for more storage. MicroSD cards are pretty cheap these days. I can get a Class 10 32GB microSD card for around $60, and my data is portable/removable!

8) S2 has Adobe Flash support.

9) S2 has 4G and LTE versions out there.

10) Some S2 models have NFC support for mobile payments.

11) The S2 (at least the Epic Touch 4G) was being offered by several retailers for anywhere between $99 to $150 with a 2-year contract. I'm an existing Sprint customer and I got my Epic Touch 4G for $164 including a car windshield/air vent cradle and overnight shipping. Will Apple iPhone 4S beat this?

12) S2 (Samsung) has a much friendlier policy on its devices being rooted. This is quite a big one for many reasons because it encourages and supports external collaboration and innovation. Apple, on the other hand, has always insisted on micro-managing their end-user experience. This is often worked in their favor, but I also feel that it is insulting to consumers. I don't want a company to tell me what I can do with their device once I've purchased it and assumed full ownership. Others can differ on this if they wish, but I like to tweak my experience of a product as I please.

Now, here are some potential benefits of the iPhone:

1) Having the pleasure of owning an Apple "i" device. Okay, maybe I'm being a bit frivolous by pointing this out, but I have noticed that so many people who own or want to own an Apple "i" product are not very knowledgeable and/or aware as to why they like Apple products. It's more of a "I've heard this is a cool product because..." insert nebulous reason here.

2) Siri voice commands. This is agreeably a great feature, but I think a vast majority of people are forgetting that Android has had pretty decent voice functionality for quite some time now and it works pretty well. I know because I use it on a semi-daily basis. Also, I want to ask the question: how practical are constant voice commands? I'm seriously curious as to how big of an impact this feature will make in all practical terms (i.e. will background noise be an important factor?).

3) Cloud storage. Well, I wish I could say this was something unique, but this feature is becoming very commonplace these days. Heck, new owners of the failing HP Touchpad were offered absolutely FREE 50GB cloud storage from Box.net!

4) iPhone 4S will be a World Phone. I think this is a wonderful idea! Good job on including this feature, Apple. It will not only make for a much more streamlined manufacturing process, but also sell many more iPhones around the planet and allow global flexibility. I feel like all mid-to-high-end Smartphone devices should have this capability.

5) iPhone 4S will have refined camera optics. This is a pretty good feature as well.

I really think this was Apple's time to come out with a bang in the face of all the heavyweight Android phone releases that have been happening lately, however, I feel like they totally dropped the ball. Sorry, but the days of Apple "i"domination seem to be coming to a close.

As for me, I'm quite happy with my Samsung Epic Touch 4G. I was seriously considering the iPhone 4S for my wife, but now I can't seem to justify the cost-to-benefit ratio. I'm a value-driven consumer and the 16GB iPhone 4S at $200 simply doesn't convey the same level of value as a Samsung Epic Touch 4G. As for now, all eyes will be on the (Samsung) Google Nexus which will soon be announced.

Apple is facing a similar situation they did when they lost the computer operating system war with Microsoft all those years ago. Figuratively speaking, there were 10 PCs to match every Macintosh system released and sold. Microsoft and the PC industry won much wider adoption. Mac looked inward for inspiration and innovation and finally began digging themselves out of a hole after the late 90s. How did they do this? Well, through an excellent vision under Steve Jobs: a focus on thorough innovation, impeccable end-user experience, and reliability.

Ultimately, it was Apple's software environment along with hardware stability which made it the Worldwide phenomenon it is today. However, with the iPhone 4 antenna hiccup, a few questionable hardware/software decisions such as a non-removable iPhone battery, lack of Flash support, a micro-managed end-user experience, etc. Apple seems to be digging themselves right back into a familiar hole. I say this because the marketplace has vastly changed now. A lot of the innovation from other companies (such as Google, Microsoft, Samsung, HTC, LG, etc.) has caught up to Apple. They're playing on the same field like never before and Apple will have to figure out a new formula very soon if they want to continue to dominate the game.

At this point, it's simple Math. The more adopters (i.e. number of people using their product and the number of people in their development community) a particular company gets, the more their chances of domination. Since Google and Microsoft aren't micro-managing the end-user experience as much as Apple they have the freedom to release 10 devices to Apple's 1 device. At that rate, unfortunately, the usability and innovation of a product become somewhat negligible (remember WebOS? what a great OS it was) for consumers. They want what is easily accessible, convenient - and especially in this economy - something that is affordable. People are much more value-driven now than they have been in a long time.

So, in conclusion, if Apple does not respond aptly to the aforementioned circumstances I predict that they will end up in the very familiar predicament they've been in before. I'm not an Apple, or Google, or Microsoft, or WebOS fanboy. I'm just an interested and curious observer. I hope you enjoyed reading this!

Reactions: mr.longbough

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
That was very well said, and I agree completely. Apple, to me, is a company that sells devices to two different types of customers. There are those who use Apple's products for specific reasons (syncing with iTunes, graphic design, etc.) which are things Apple is known for, as delivers very well. The other customer type is those who want to look cool, and have the most prestigious toy out there. Sorry to sound condescending, but I believe it is true.

I used to have an iPod, and my kids can operate it very easily, with hardly any learning curve. That is the appeal with Apple. As the OP said, as strictly controlled user experience, which is duplicated on every device, without the ability for customization. This is also what makes iOS run smoothly, one system. With Android, because it is used by many different manufacturers, they each can run different OS versions, as well as update them when they see fit. This can cause headaches for Android users and developers, but I hope this will be resolved with the release of ICS.

I have been with Sprint for over 11 years, and since the iPhone came out on ATT, I always thought I wanted one. I liked the look, the simplicity, basically everything about it. After being on Android, I realize that everything I liked on the iPhone is available to be on Android, and there are various ways to do those same things. Apple makes some amazing devices, but because of their control over the experience, and their lack of options, they lost me as a customer.

pream5

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I think you are forgetting that android isn't for everybody so the i4s is a great phone for those people.

I understand that, but you're mistaken. I was never trying to say any particular phone is for every single person out there. I was comparing two type of devices which appeal to the high-end mobile phone market so I believe it's a fair comparison.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that really disappoints me about the iPhone 4S is the small screen. We all knew it wasn't going to be 4G, I've never swapped a battery in my phone, and I guarantee the iPhone 4S will be snappier than the GSII; specs aren't everything, the GSII barely beats a year and a half old iPhone 4 in speed tests.

I'll wait for the October 11 Prime launch, but I was extremely dissatisfied with the signal strength of my (Samsung made) Nexus S 4G...so I don't have high expectations.

pream5

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that really disappoints me about the iPhone 4S is the small screen. We all knew it wasn't going to be 4G,
So, just because you knew that it wouldn't have 4G that makes it alright? We're discussing the high-end mobile phone market here. 4G is pretty much a requirement. Unless, of course, you want to admit that Apple released a mainstream (non high-end) product.

I've never swapped a battery in my phone,
That's great! However, myself and a lot of people who're on the go have had to or been in situations where they wished they could have done so. This is undeniable. Also, Li-Ion batteries do lose their capacity to hold a charge so they have a limited life-cycle. This can be exaggerated if the phone is being used heavily.

and I guarantee the iPhone 4S will be snappier than the GSII; specs aren't everything, the GSII barely beats a year and a half old iPhone 4 in speed tests.
Wait, you just contradicted yourself!

Also, keep in mind that the Galaxy S2 has also been out for several months in the rest of the World now.

I'll wait for the October 11 Prime launch, but I was extremely dissatisfied with the signal strength of my (Samsung made) Nexus S 4G...so I don't have high expectations.
Sprint's 4G typically sucks. It's a known fact. However, Sprint is getting those LTE plans off the ground soon (one hopes). :)

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
4G is an enormous battery drain, and as you said, currently sucks on Sprint. I use 4G maybe once a month; though right now, Sprint's 3G is at ~200k :'(.

I get a new phone every 12 months, yes, charge capacity diminishes, but I cycle through devices before it affects productivity. I do think the iPhone should have a removable door...but its not a deal breaker.

I'd take an iPhone over a GSII almost any day. Its so sad to see Samsung's custom interface essentially be 'iPhone with widgets.' Sure, its pretty, but its an obvious copy, I much prefer HTC Sense to all others, including AOSP.

Prime looks good, but Samsung devices have reception issues. -unlike-

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Well I for one am glad it is coming to Sprint. I have for quite some time wanted my wife to switch to Sprint but the lack of an iPhone on the Now network kept her on AT&T. Android is not for everyone. It is a very customizable platform but some don't want to have to customize it. There are many who just want to pick up a phone and start using it. The iPhone is dead simple to use. You can give it to a 5 year old to a 85 year old and with a few instructions they can use it. I was in the Apple store today getting my Wife's iPhone replaced because of a cracked screen. There was an elderly man there (I'd guess late 60's early 70's) toting his iPHone getting it fixed. The Apple stores are a big selling point. Android users don't have a place to go to the get answers from an expert or get your device fixed. Until recently Android was buggy. Even up to the last iPhone release android wasn't up to the iPhone total package of UI, Hardware, Physical Apple store with experts there to answer questions and fix your phone after you dropped it on the ground and shattered your guerrilla glass, and lets not forget battery life, 4 hours on a phone won't cut it for most out there. Now I will see how the iPhone 4S works on the Now network. If it is just the same as AT&T then we are closing our AT&T account and going with Sprint. And don't forget that the iPhone more than any other phone out there is a fashion statement also. I'm not agreeing with it but that can't be denied. It has a cult following and a 'Coolness" factor about it. All those things make android a hard sell for some of the more die hard Apple fan boys and girls.
As far as the iPhone vs the SGSII, the iPhone will be faster due to the fact of how iOS handles multitasking, it is not true multitasking as Android does, but the end effect is the same. It will be smoking fast, that and the other hardware upgrades will make it just as good and the current android king, only faster. Should make the wife happy, and more money in the banking account. Anyone want to buy two 32 G AT&T iPhone 4s? Gonna be selling some soon.

Last edited:

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
A friend of mine has a first generation iPhone. He got it around release date and the battery has only started losing the ability to hold a decent charge over the last few months, and he is always on it.

I say this to point out that yes, eventually the battery will go. But they are much better than they used to be - and most people will have upgraded long before the battery is unacceptable. So to me, not having a removable battery is probably just fine for most users.

Personally, I am not that into i-Devices. It's strictly a preference thing imo. The average user tends to love i-Devices because they are multimedia devices with little to no learning curve and work great out of the box. Not having 4G is OK to many users, as rollout isn't complete on any network and wifi is all over the place. I figure the next iPhone will probably have a LTE radio, regardless of carrier, because by the time it hits rollout will be more complete on all networks.

It comes down to preference. Personally, I like the more user-defined experience of an Android device.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
1: Apple has the hype

Luckily for Apple 80-90% of the population is ed. So, it's easy to coerce stupid people into buying products; if, you know how to market it correctly. That's what Apple knows how to do: make dumb stubborn people believe they want their over prices outdated technology products. It's genius if you think about it.

Kinda like those religious healers.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree! The iPhone 4S was sort of a let down. I will gladly stick with my EVO 3D for now. I'm more than happy with it. Does what I need it to do. Just wish HTC would fix the stock messaging app issues. Other than that I love my phone! The S2 is waay to big for my likely. And HTC is where It's at for me. Is love to see HTC buy WebOS though!

Rocking the HTC EVO 3D

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but this topic is full of crap. People who are saying the iPhone 4S didn't bring enough to the table has no idea what they are talking about. The new dual core processor? Speeds that are faster than the SGS2? New interface and all. I know we are all Android fans here but don't act biased because Android isn't any better than the things people here are complaining about.

Don't like it, don't buy it. But don't make haste judgment.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry but this topic is full of crap. People who are saying the iPhone 4S didn't bring enough to the table has no idea what they are talking about. The new dual core processor? Speeds that are faster than the SGS2? New interface and all. I know we are all Android fans here but don't act biased because Android isn't any better than the things people here are complaining about.

Don't like it, don't buy it. But don't make haste judgment.

Oh my god we actually agree on something. If the phone had been called the iPhone 5 and had a bigger screen people would be praising this phone instead of complaining. But because those two things didn't happen people seem to think this phone isn't an upgrade.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Oh my god we actually agree on something. If the phone had been called the iPhone 5 and had a bigger screen people would be praising this phone instead of complaining. But because those two things didn't happen people seem to think this phone isn't an upgrade.

Wow, that'd explain the porker with wings outside my window

All aside though, exactly. Actually I think people would probably complain because the screen is bigger.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that'd explain the porker with wings outside my window

All aside though, exactly. Actually I think people would probably complain because the screen is bigger.

Can't please everybody. Most people need something to complain about. I don't think people really care what they complain about as long as they are complaining.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
But I think one of the big problems people are having is that the new features that are being promoted, Android has been doing for quite a while...not really anything that should be labeled as innovative.

AndreaCristiano#AC

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Just want to add that it doesn't seem like these problems exist for many being that At&t already sold 1 million in the first 24 hours and we don't know Verizon and sprint numbers yet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463