Leave Verizon for Sprint? (With lots of extended traveling.) Sprint users pls advise.

SPRINT USERS: Rate Sprint's Voice/Data COVERAGE based on your personal experience.

• Total voters

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Sprint likely does not roam on ALL towers but they do roam at a minimum where Sprint does not have service. That said, I've forced my phone to roam despite great signal and was able to use a VZW site.

Sprint doesn't charge roaming but they don't allow you to use more than 50% of your minutes roaming (or it might be fixed, like 600min, don't recall). So you don't want Sprint if in an area where you might be roaming more often than not.

Roaming isn't quite transparent. It is transparent switching between roam/native, but it can't switch during the middle of a call. It would be awesome if they could do that.

In general for most people who are in a decent Sprint market, there is little to no dependency on roaming. You roam when in weak Sprint areas. If not in a decent Sprint area (according to maps), don't get Sprint.

If you compare the Verizon coverage map with Sprint's - most of the gray "roaming" areas on Sprint's map looks like Verizon areas (or a Verizon acquired carrier). But you are correct on the roaming - I think it is 50% max for a month and it really only kicks in when you have no Sprint signal at all.

Honestly, I am still on the fence, not sure which service/phone I want.

robh2

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Thank you everyone for all of your post's. Great thread. Looking at the Verizon and the Sprint phone and data maps, it looks like Sprint is only on main roads and Verizon is everywhere. I also travel a lot. I need to know, if I am roaming on a Verizon tower, would I get all services that someone next to me with a Verizon phone would get? Said another way, if I have an Evo and you have an Incredible and we are standing side by side and are both on a Verizon tower, can I do everything you can or do I have limits?

Thanks everyone.

Robert

rawvega

May 18, 2010
Visit site
When roaming, it's quite possible, maybe even probable that the Incredible would be on EVDO while your Evo would be on 1x. That is unless you're in certain former Alltel areas. You'd have to check Sprint's coverage maps to see where Sprint has EVDO roaming. Other than that, I believe that most other things should be equal.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, for the most part, when you are roaming you are only getting 1x - no 3G. You can almost always depend on getting voice, but 3g service or even good 1x service might still be questionable. This was my experience in the past, but I have not traveled much in the past 2 years. I am thinking about doing a 1yr contract on VZW just to see where things go - 4G grows on Sprint, EVDO rev B comes out, iPhone on Verizon?? Lots of options!

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Actually, if you go here: 3gstore you can pull up the Sprint and Verizon maps within the same window - almost, still have to click a tab - and compare coverage. Sprint's roaming areas pretty much match Verizon's coverage - for voice at least. And they both have gaps in the same area.

AggressorBLUE

May 13, 2010
Visit site
well, what I noticed about sprint maps is they list roaming, where as VZW simply lists "coverage"

it seems like a bit of a marketing scheme to make their network look better. Unless VZW never roams, (which I doubt...)

That said, to me at least, VZ roaming has always been 'transparent'

I get bars, I get some kind of data, even if it's not fast (beats no data!)

I'm starting to lean back toward just keeping Verizon myself. I figure it's the devil I know.

Hoping my thinking outloud is giving you food for thought OP!

Last edited:

dahlberg123

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I travel quite extensively for work as well and I have no real complaints. Oh, there is one spot on 35 just north of the MN/Iowa border where you dip down into a valley, I've lost a call or two there :)

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
well, what I noticed about sprint maps is they list roaming, where as VZW simply lists "coverage"

it seems like a bit of a marketing scheme to make their network look better. Unless VZW never roams, (which I doubt...)

That said, to me at least, VZ roaming has always been 'transparent'

I get bars, I get some kind of data, even if it's not fast (beats no data!)

I'm starting to lean back toward just keeping Verizon myself. I figure it's the devil I know.

Hoping my thinking outloud is giving you food for thought OP!

AggBLUE, OP checking in to say, yep, it's helpful.

Everyone, I'm still between, but probably leaning a bit toward Sprint/Evo. I wish the extra 10 bucks/Evo wasn't an issue--because if I switch, it'll barely be a savings (for me, with family plan & multiple Evos). That's a real disappointment, no to ways about it. That said, both networks have pros & cons. The discussions about roaming & quality of data speeds when roaming have been really helpful, too. Sprint's roaming on vzw network is an asset, but vzw owning those networks and getting the better data speeds/etc. are a real plus there. I know that quality will be good with vzw, and no doubt they'll keep rolling out great android phones. On the flip, they'll keep looking for ways to charge me more money--I imagine when their next gen phones (comparable to evo) or certainly their 4G data will end up meaning more of my money in their pockets! And I think that, and the incredibly bodacious specs/features/capabilities of the Evo (and a puny monthly savings) may bring me to the tipping point for giving Sprint a shot. I'll probably do a thorough 30-day-free-trial on Sprint before actually porting my number over, so there's really nothing at risk other than toting two phones and confusing a few people with my two phone numbers for that month.

I continue to be grateful for all the feedback and thoughts here and elsewhere on the forums about this issue, including those who voted in the poll. Many thanks--you can charge all your expenses to Mr. Underhill's tab.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Fletch - good choice (I think). I too go back and forth just about every day, but since I can't get an Incredible until mid-June, I am going to try the EVO out - or at least that's what I am planning on today. Tomorrow? Who knows!

addictedtobb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Sprinting Happily

The cost savings at Sprint is amazing compared to Verizon. 8 lines unlimited at Verizon cost me around a grand a month......I now pay $350/month with Sprint. Coverage is not as good as Verizon's...but what is? I am glad I made the move and love my Evo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech