Leave Verizon for Sprint? (With lots of extended traveling.) Sprint users pls advise.

SPRINT USERS: Rate Sprint's Voice/Data COVERAGE based on your personal experience.

• Total voters
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I frequently travel/relocate due to work, often for several weeks-months at a time, so it's really not possible for me to examine Sprint's voice & data coverage in every possible location in which I may have extended stays over the next two years. I have been strongly considering leaving VZW for Sprint's lower rates, more generous data plans and features, and, naturally, for the EVO. But I don't want to regret the jump because of coverage.

Sorry to ask the VZW vs. Sprint question (I know it's been asked here before, I read the past posts), but I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone on your experience with Sprint's coverage, throughout the country, including your experience at home AND when traveling--anywhere! Thanks!

(And Sprint users (only), your rating by personal experience of Sprint's COVERAGE (1 to 5, 5 is best) would be really helpful.)

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I've traveled most of the US and parts of Central/S America many times over on Sprint for 10+ years. Was annoyingly spotty 5-10 years ago but is reasonably good these days where they claim to have coverage. In the US, Sprint has great roaming agreements, some analysts say best agreements in US. Interstates and cities over 50K generally not an issue with native Sprint. There are some spots where I'm a little surprised there is no Sprint signal (like central Tennessee) but I was able to roam just fine, with data too (Navigation also surprisingly works while roaming, might depend on who they roam on). Was in obscure parts of Wyoming and S Dakota and was able to roam with data while a friend with ATT couldn't get a signal at all roaming. Have been to 50+ largest cities in US, no complaints last 5 years. Have been to maybe 45 states, no complaints (though may depend on roaming at times). I've also been on the road many times streaming music to car stereo... can travel whole day and very rarely rebuffer unless trying high bitstreams. 2G is good enough for lower bit rate music streaming usually.

Was able to roam just fine in Mexico, Belize, Guatemala and Peru but couldn't roam in Chile (is supported, had a PRL issue). Sprint never charged me for data use, though technically should have.

The only time I wouldn't recommend Sprint is if you live/work in an area that does not have good native Sprint coverage according to the maps. It's home where it matters, traveling you'll likely get Sprint in most states but roaming is fine otherwise. They seem to be weaker in most of Rockies and SE states, outside of major metros. They have a 30 day full refund so it's worth a shot.

I wouldn't leave a carrier for a phone though as new/better phones will always come around, frog leaping each other every few months. Would only leave for a better deal or if there were issues with the existing carrier.

Keep in mind that Sprint roams voice and 2G data on Verizon and small regional CDMA carriers. They also roam 3G in (former) Alltel areas. Sprint has a 10 year agreement as part of terms with Verizon's Alltel acquisition.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for such great information, xenophon! I agree that it's crazy to bounce around carrier to carrier because of a device. But I've been struggling with VZW's costs for awhile, and Sprint's pricing has been really appealing. If their coverage is as good as I hear (sometimes) then it would be great to save the money--and get on board with a great device and 4G potential when we're in the "right" places. Would love to be able to make use of video chatting features, which sounds like it's still a year off with Verizon and their exclusive little new empire with Skype.

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for such great information, xenophon! I agree that it's crazy to bounce around carrier to carrier because of a device. But I've been struggling with VZW's costs for awhile, and Sprint's pricing has been really appealing. If their coverage is as good as I hear (sometimes) then it would be great to save the money--and get on board with a great device and 4G potential when we're in the "right" places. Would love to be able to make use of video chatting features, which sounds like it's still a year off with Verizon and their exclusive little new empire with Skype.

Go to Sprint and look at their coverage maps for your area or where you work etc. It will give you could ideas on coverage areas.

fonefanatic

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I frequently travel/relocate due to work, often for several weeks-months at a time, so it's really not possible for me to examine Sprint's voice & data coverage in every possible location in which I may have extended stays over the next two years. I have been strongly considering leaving VZW for Sprint's lower rates, more generous data plans and features, and, naturally, for the EVO. But I don't want to regret the jump because of coverage.

Sorry to ask the VZW vs. Sprint question (I know it's been asked here before, I read the past posts), but I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone on your experience with Sprint's coverage, throughout the country, including your experience at home AND when traveling--anywhere! Thanks!

(And Sprint users (only), your rating by personal experience of Sprint's COVERAGE (1 to 5, 5 is best) would be really helpful.)

First let me say I love your name! Second and more importantly I also switch to Sprint from VZW both for better rates and also the Pre (considering switch to EVO now). I have found that I get just as good coverage with Sprint as I did with VZW. I do not travel extensively but do travel on occasion for work and have had no problems getting a signal. Hope this helps

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I made the switch from Verizon to Sprint for the better price myself several years ago. I rarely find a true dead zone, I am roaming at home on a Verizon tower which to me isn't even an issue. Voice quality is good and if I had to guess I would say my data speed is cut in half but is just fine for browsing, checking email, etc. I don't travel often but when I do I rarely have any signal issues. I find it interesting that I roam on Verizons tower at home but when I had Verizon it was almost always there tower or no signal at all.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
For the OP, I'd be careful basing your decision based on every else's coverage experiences. I'm sure that can range based on location.

For myself, I've been with Sprint for 11+ years and while I'd never say in my area it was terrible, back then when I traveled it became spotty. In the past 4-5 years, that has pretty much become a non-issue and have never found a situation where I completely lost coverage when I needed my phone since then.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site

If you want the Evo and you're worried about plan pricing you might want to rethink this one. Simply everything plan + data + 4g + wifi hotspot = more than Verizon. Just sayin...

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the thoughts so far!

@mcduffer, i think you missed the primary issue of my original post. extensive traveling/relocation, and not sure to where. (See also my comment to @gabbott)

@Fonefanatic, glad you like the name, and glad your experience has been good.

@uh60james, again, glad it's been good for you. Your data speed is slower because of the roaming, right? Otherwise, I'm guessing your data speeds are comparable to VZW?

@gabbott, i'm sure you're right, but because I have no idea where i'll be living in 3 months, the best I can do is look at the maps, and then get a sense for the cumulative experience of the community with/using sprint's network. I'm mostly looking for red flags that their coverage is consistently weaker and problematic. As for your current experience, your coverage is good and has not been problematic when traveling anymore?

@TreyDaPrince, I hear you. While I wasn't holding out for free tethering (and wouldn't necessarily use the feature) I'm honestly really disappointed in Sprint for the 10 dollar extra fee for Evo data. With a multi-Evo family plan, the savings is now pretty small. Sprint may have blown it in my case.

Last edited:

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the thoughts so far!

@uh60james, again, glad it's been good for you. Your data speed is slower because of the roaming, right? Otherwise, I'm guessing your data speeds are comparable to VZW?

Speeds are comparable to VZW as far as I can tell. When tethered on a sprint tower I get pretty quick speeds. Not quick enough to download a movie or play a huge multiplayer game but you can watch a tv show on hulu or do any basic web stuff. I am currently using a BB Curve 8330 which is only EVDO rev. 0 so even without 4G things would be slightly faster with a new phone.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is cheaper than Verizon, even with the 10 dollars tacked on.

79.99 isn't bad, especially with everything that is included:
GPS
Data
450 Minutes
Unlimited Texts

As far as coverage goes, the only time I haven't had a signal is if I am inside a building with metal walls and that only effects my data connection.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
^And Sprint does free mobile to any other mobile carrier. The only time you're clicking minutes is if making a landline call 7a-7p weekdays. I'm not able to burn the minutes.

Sho_Nuff_3000

May 14, 2010
www.twitter.com
If you want the Evo and you're worried about plan pricing you might want to rethink this one. Simply everything plan + data + 4g + wifi hotspot = more than Verizon. Just sayin...

TreyDaPrince, you must not have been a star math student because Verizon's Unlimited Talk+Text = 89.99 + their Data Plan for 29.99 = $119.98 before taxes

Sprint's Simply everything plan = 69.99 + 10 for 4g + 29.99 for OPTIONAL hotspot = $109.98 before taxes which is still $10 cheaper than Verizon and you get more for your buck and a great service provide to boot.

So even if he didn't get the Evo he'd just be paying $69.99 before taxes for the same thing Verizon would charge him $119.98 for. Either way he goes, Sprint is cheaper!

So do the math before you speak on something, it's beneficial for everyone :D

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
To fill in the gaps on whether Sprint is actually cheaper, the pricing is definitely cheaper for me to go with Sprint, but not by a lot. We're talking a family plan--and unlimited minutes totally not necessary, so 1500 is fine--plus data. Plus, unfortunately, the Evo-Extra-Ten-Bucks fee for at least two Evos. Which is what makes the price so close to Verizon's for the same stuff. Sprint's main edge is that they'll give you a data-for-everyone-on-your-family-plan deal where VZW charges per line. Now, if I added the wifi tethering for even one Evo, then Sprint would cost more, but I'd also be adding a feature I don't have available (at least technically) with vzw, even on the recent, fairly lovely Incredible. So there it is, Sprint is cheaper for MY theoretical family plan, without wifi tethering.

Do those of you with discounts on Sprint find that the discount applies to the data portion of your fees as well? My experience with vzw, at least for my company's discount, is that the data fees have not been discounted. Which hurts. Only the monthly phone/text access. A broadly applied discount could really sweeten the Sprint option.

By the way, I DO realize that Sprint gives you more extra stuff like Sprint TV & Radio for your money, and I appreciate that about them versus Verizon's greedy bleed-you-for-every-feature approach. And let's face it, when LTE rolls out, I have trouble believing big red won't be adjusting some prices/plans/structures to charge more in whatever way they can.

Ultimately, if the service/coverage is good on Sprint, which it looks from others' experience so far that it is, I imagine we'll bounce to Sprint when we can and snuggle up with the Evo.

Cheers,
Fletch

Last edited:

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
TreyDaPrince, you must not have been a star math student because Verizon's Unlimited Talk+Text = 89.99 + their Data Plan for 29.99 = $119.98 before taxes

Sprint's Simply everything plan = 69.99 + 10 for 4g + 29.99 for OPTIONAL hotspot = $109.98 before taxes which is still $10 cheaper than Verizon and you get more for your buck and a great service provide to boot.

So even if he didn't get the Evo he'd just be paying $69.99 before taxes for the same thing Verizon would charge him $119.98 for. Either way he goes, Sprint is cheaper!

So do the math before you speak on something, it's beneficial for everyone :D

How is the Sprint $69 plan = to Verizon's $89 plan IF you don't do all of your calling to mobile phones? Sprint's plan is 450 minutes to landlines and on roaming.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I am currently wrestling with this same situation. I had Sprint for years and was pretty happy, but then moved to ATT last year. Now I am going to be traveling all of the US and I am not that confident I can depend on ATT every where I go. I am looking at one line on Verizon (Incredible) or Sprint (EVO). Verizon could actually cost me $5 less because I don't need unlimited text ($5 for 250/mo would do me fine). However, I am in a 4G city so the EVO is very enticing! But I think Sprint coverage is going to be just about par with Verizon - it always seemed to be when I had them before.

AggressorBLUE

May 13, 2010
Visit site
@bubbatex, I believe that txt plan does NOT include free VZW to VZW txts, not a problem if you don't communicate that way, but just a heads up.

Also, I'm a little confused on the roaming thing. If I understand this correctly:
-Could Sprint roam on all Verizon towers?
-That said, since sprint does not charge roaming fees, for all practical purposes are sprint and Verizon the same service?
-Is the roaming transparent to the user?

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Sprint likely does not roam on ALL towers but they do roam at a minimum where Sprint does not have service. That said, I've forced my phone to roam despite great signal and was able to use a VZW site.

Sprint doesn't charge roaming but they don't allow you to use more than 50% of your minutes roaming (or it might be fixed, like 600min, don't recall). So you don't want Sprint if in an area where you might be roaming more often than not.

Roaming isn't quite transparent. It is transparent switching between roam/native, but it can't switch during the middle of a call. It would be awesome if they could do that.

In general for most people who are in a decent Sprint market, there is little to no dependency on roaming. You roam when in weak Sprint areas. If not in a decent Sprint area (according to maps), don't get Sprint.

Last edited: