I don't know about everyone here, but I've checked my usage over the past 12 months. My wife and I seldom use over 1GB of data a month on a family shared plan. Not only do we have wifi at home, but we also have wifi at both of our jobs. It's nice to have unlimited data, but I don't want to pay for unlimited if I'm not really using it. We still have no 4G in our area, and we're paying $10 for premium data. For what? There aren't really other options for different plans for smartphones either. It's only everything data family, or simply everything family which is more expensive.

Now understand, I am not complaining. I have been with Sprint for many years and I have been satisfied with their service. I understand that they have to make money. But for people like my wife and I, we'd gladly pay less money on our phone bill considering that we don't use our plan to the full. I'd honestly like to see, in addition to their unlimited data plans, other plan options. If they had a 2GB a month data plan for family, I think that would be good for some.

However, I do understand that there are those who use their data plans to the full. And I also believe that Sprint would be shooting themselves in the foot if they got rid of their unlimited data plans, as that's the one main thing that differentiates them from other carriers. I'm just thinking more choice of plans that adapt to many different usage types would be better.

Anyone else think the same? Or objections? Feel free to discuss.
    10-20-2011 08:45 AM
    I think the unlimited plan is one FEW things Sprint has left to make them differnt. Plus they are cheaper than AT&T and Verizon. So really changing it may not save you anymore cash in the end anyways. I guess if they went cheaper than the other 2 then yeah sure. But I like not having to watch my data usage. I mean if it came down to it I would...

VT also has no 4G at all too. So like you I pay the extra $10 a month for my Evo 3D. In Boston I get 4G and to be honest its still not that great. Issues with it working in buildings..It randomly just goes out on its own. I know its not my phone many others report the same issue. WiMax still has a way to go in order to be my MAIN data connection. Both in tower and reliability in buildings. If I cant use it inside then its all most useless to me. So for now when in Boston I leave my self on 3G. It just seems to work a lot better over all...

In time it will get better. LTE suffers the same sort of issues but it works better over all from my understanding. So I am happy to see Sprint switching to LTE next year. But maybe like you..VT where I live well not be seeing 4G anytime soon...Or so it seems maybe I am wrong! :P
    10-20-2011 09:41 AM
    I think the unlimited plan is one FEW things Sprint has left to make them differnt. Plus they are cheaper than AT&T and Verizon. So really changing it may not save you anymore cash in the end anyways. I guess if they went cheaper than the other 2 then yeah sure. But I like not having to watch my data usage. I mean if it came down to it I would...

VT also has no 4G at all too. So like you I pay the extra $10 a month for my Evo 3D. In Boston I get 4G and to be honest its still not that great. Issues with it working in buildings..It randomly just goes out on its own. I know its not my phone many others report the same issue. WiMax still has a way to go in order to be my MAIN data connection. Both in tower and reliability in buildings. If I cant use it inside then its all most useless to me. So for now when in Boston I leave my self on 3G. It just seems to work a lot better over all...

In time it will get better. LTE suffers the same sort of issues but it works better over all from my understanding. So I am happy to see Sprint switching to LTE next year. But maybe like you..VT where I live well not be seeing 4G anytime soon...Or so it seems maybe I am wrong! :P
    Yeah, if it was cheaper, it would be a lot better at least. I mean, as it is, our phone bill for two smartphones is $170. It'll be up to $180 in December because my wife is due for an upgrade then, and she's aching to get rid of her Moment (lol). But in the end, it's still cheaper than the other carriers right?
    10-20-2011 09:54 AM
    Yeah, if it was cheaper, it would be a lot better at least. I mean, as it is, our phone bill for two smartphones is $170. It'll be up to $180 in December because my wife is due for an upgrade then, and she's aching to get rid of her Moment (lol). But in the end, it's still cheaper than the other carriers right?
    Yes! I have 4 lines and I pay $250 or so a month. On Verizon with = or close minutes it comes to be about $100 a phone. With Sprint you share the family plan. With Verizon (Last I knew anyways) each phone pays for its own data. So thats the catch. A friend of mine with just 2 smart phones is paying about $210 a month from his last bill. In VT Verizon is better coverage and 3G...So thats what you pay for. Where in any other bigger city AKA Boston/NYC my 3G is never an issue! But the price still remains the same.
    10-20-2011 11:23 AM
    I don't think Sprint can afford to be cheaper. 2GB plans would have to be what, $60 including taxes or less to be appealing compared to unlimited. I don't think they can fund the roaming agreements at that price, hence Virgin & Boost (unlimited everything for about $50 minus roaming).
    10-20-2011 11:24 AM
    I don't think Sprint can afford to be cheaper.
    But they are now. For me anyways.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...y-serious.html

Heres one case. So it looks like they can be cheaper. And they are for a reason. Their network isnt as good as Verizons. I pay Sprint knowing that. Like the rest of America I pay enough for my data.

Comcast...$60
    Sprint...$30

Thats a net of $90 a month...

So with Verizon...$30x4 for all of my lines...

No brainer for me. I like the one time payment!
    10-20-2011 11:25 AM
    But they are now. For me anyways.
    What are you talking about?
    10-20-2011 11:29 AM
    That Sprint is cheaper in pricing. Unless I took your message the wrong in. If that is the case I stand corrected.
    10-20-2011 11:33 AM
    Oh. I meant cheaper than they already are.
    10-20-2011 12:08 PM
    I don't think Sprint can afford to be cheaper. 2GB plans would have to be what, $60 including taxes or less to be appealing compared to unlimited. I don't think they can fund the roaming agreements at that price, hence Virgin & Boost (unlimited everything for about $50 minus roaming).
    Hmm... good point.

So with Verizon...$30x4 for all of my lines...

No brainer for me. I like the one time payment!
    Ditto!
    10-20-2011 12:58 PM
    If sprint got rid of their unlimited plan i would have no reason to stay with them.......i would go with art or verizon and i would actually never have a problem making phone calls at work and able to use data at work. I do agree having unlimited along with tiered plans for people that dont use all there data and looking to save money
    10-22-2011 09:31 AM
    I do agree having unlimited along with tiered plans for people that dont use all there data and looking to save money
    Theoretically that sounds great but what would really happen is unlimited would go up in price and the lowest tier would be what we pay now, so no one would actually save anything.
    10-22-2011 12:22 PM
    Sprint is not that much cheaper. The only edge is that they offer text messaging with ED plans. If you ask me, Tmobile is the better bargain. They only throttle your data if it goes over. But they have very flexible plans. And Sprints quasi4G is a real joke. WiMAX is dead, by the time they try and optimize 4G, everyone will be talking about 7G then lol.
    10-22-2011 12:59 PM
    Sprint is not that much cheaper. The only edge is that they offer text messaging with ED plans. If you ask me, Tmobile is the better bargain. They only throttle your data if it goes over. But they have very flexible plans. And Sprints quasi4G is a real joke. WiMAX is dead, by the time they try and optimize 4G, everyone will be talking about 7G then lol.
    True, without a corporate discount it's not. I keep forgetting about mine since they hand them out like candy (or at least used to).
    10-23-2011 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD