4G in Jacksonville, Florida?

27scoob

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Anyone already have an EVO in Jacksonville , Florida ?
The reason I am asking is to see if they have gotten any 4G coverage yet since the area is suppose to have the coverage by the the end of June. I am just curious. Cheers and thanks...............

Last edited:

jonathanlc2005

May 4, 2010
Visit site
That depends... How are the beaches compared to pensacola. I wanna visit the beaches and traveling from tallahassee and thinking of doing it this friday

hachsa

May 19, 2010
Visit site
oh cool your from jax! I always wanted to post on forums to see if anyone is from where I live. I live on the westside close to OP. I was planning on preordering at best buy but was a day late so I plan on calling telesales since I have to change my plan and get a discount anyways. for some reason, since this is jax I don't think a lot of people know about the evo. I don't expect sales to be high.

uh I don't have the evo but I believe that 4g is supposeed to light up soon from jax, miami, orlando, tampa, and to clearwater but from what I understand its not until fall.

ps jax beaches are just ok.

27scoob

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I live in O P ... but I work on the northside. This is what I am going on

Clearwire and Sprint have announced that 20 more US cities will have WiMAX coverage (known as CLEAR from Clearwire or Sprint 4G from Sprint) this summer!
The following new markets will be graced with WiMAX by summer's end:

?Jacksonville, Florida
?Daytona, Florida
?Orlando, Florida
?Tampa, Florida
?Kansas City, Kansas
?Nashville, Tennessee
?St. Louis, MO
?Salt Lake City, UT
?Merced, CA
?Modesto, CA
?Stockton, CA
?Visalia, CA
?Wilmington, Delaware
?Grand Rapids, Michigan
?Eugene, Oregon
?Yakima and the Tri-Cities area (Kennewick, Pasco and Richland), Washington
?Rochester, NY
?Syracuse, NY
Both CLEAR and Sprint (who use the same WiMAX network) will offer 4G service in all of the above markets within the next few months, and Comcast and Time Warner Cable, who re-sell the service in some select cities, are expected to follow suit in some markets.

No launch dates have been announced for CLEAR or Sprint, but stay tuned here at 4Ginfo for official launch information as it becomes available!

Testing has to be going on at some point.... We'll see....

jmyadagod

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I will be in Orlando and surrounding beaches(Cocoa, Clearwater, and some others ) on Jul 11-25 with 2 evos with me. I am hoping that they have 4g up and running by then.....

27scoob

May 22, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE ........... Got my EVO and........... drum roll please............... 4G working in Orange Park , FL .... EFFING SAWEET...

CaryTheLabelGuy

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
There is 4G at the beaches, on the SouthSide, San Marco, Manadarin, OP, Downtown and northside, that i have seen thus far. Pretty much everywhere i have been, there was a 4G base station close enough to give me 4G signal.

Also, i clocked the 4G WiMax network at 10mbps late last night. I usually see between 3mbps and 6mbps during the day.

Hope this helps. This phone RAWKS. I'm totally amazed with this phone and the new network.

italianotampa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
No 4g in Tampa although they are testing it in downtown. What I have noticed is a increase in my 3g speeds in the area. 2.7 down 1.2 up.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am in Orange Park and got mine @ Best Buy on Friday, had no idea 4g would work! Even works in my house. Just 1 bar, but still is fast.

2.4 down / solid 1.0 up

jcaesar625

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I work in the Bartram area of JAX (OLD St. Augustine and 95) and live up near Kernan Blvd and Atlantic. I pick up a 4G signal in both of these areas. I ran a speed test between 5-6p on Thursday and I was getting about 3Mb/sec down and 1.5 Mb/sec up.

mtaldude

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
4g/Voice Coverage

Hey, I read that you guys are up in Jax with your phones and it sounds like the 4g network is running pretty great. My question is with the addition of 4g to Jax, has the voice coverage improved alongside of it? I live in Jax to go to school there, and I'm seriously considering switching to sprint to get the EVO, but I keep hearing about issues with losing signal in many places, dropping calls, missing calls, and not getting voicemails at the right time. Are you having any of those issues now? Would you say the coverage is good in most places now? and what areas would you say tend to give you the most trouble? I live near 32256 and attend shands hospital often for school. If you are around those areas, how would you say your coverage is? Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be sure I switch to the right service. Whats the point of having an amazing device like the EVO if you can't even get good coverage. TIA!

TBJAX

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I read that you guys are up in Jax with your phones and it sounds like the 4g network is running pretty great. My question is with the addition of 4g to Jax, has the voice coverage improved alongside of it? I live in Jax to go to school there, and I'm seriously considering switching to sprint to get the EVO, but I keep hearing about issues with losing signal in many places, dropping calls, missing calls, and not getting voicemails at the right time. Are you having any of those issues now? Would you say the coverage is good in most places now? and what areas would you say tend to give you the most trouble? I live near 32256 and attend shands hospital often for school. If you are around those areas, how would you say your coverage is? Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be sure I switch to the right service. Whats the point of having an amazing device like the EVO if you can't even get good coverage. TIA!

I live in Tapestry Park (Southside and Gate Pkwy) and I'm getting full signal strength on my EVO and 2 out of 3 bars on the 4G icon when I turn it on. The 4G signal strength is particularly strong in downtown, Orange Park and the Southside. I've never had an issue with dropped or missed calls on Sprint even when I had the Blackberry Tour. The only place I can't get a signal on my phone is inside my office (Southpoint Parkway) but, then again, neither can the Verizon users. I think the AT&T users have to go up to the Gate station to get a signal, lol.

I don't know which provider you use now but Sprint is aggressively priced compared to other providers. You can use unlimited data and free mobile-to-mobile calling applies to all providers, not just Sprint-to-Sprint.

If it makes any difference, the only other cell provider I would ever consider is Verizon and, even then, Sprint would have to really tick me off to make me ever consider switching. My 7 year experience with Sprint has been extremely positive.

Hope that helps.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I have gotten the same results....Most places I go in the greater j'ville area, I have been able to get good to great 4g signal!

We're coming down next week but we stay in Ponte Vedra just south of Sawgrass. Do you know if the 4G is working down there? And I guess it's asking too much for it to be working in St. Augustine? Lol. Thanks.