Free Hotspot question.

hs101

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I found an app which allows for free wifi tethering without rooting. If i continue to use this, do i violate my contract and if i do what is the worst that can happen?

If sprint terminates my contract, do i have to pay an early termination fee? Would I be able to keep my phone?

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you would loose your contract. they might just charge you the $30/month teathering fee.

Sprint's policy on it
Examples of prohibited data uses: Sprint data services are provided solely for purposes of web surfing, sending and receiving email, photographs and other similar messaging activities, and the non-continuous streaming of videos, downloading of files or on line gaming. Our data services may not be used:... (vi) for an activity that connects any device to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for the purpose of transmitting wireless data over the network (unless customer is using a plan designated for such usage)...Unlimited Use Plans. If you subscribe to rate plans, services or features that are described as unlimited, you should be aware that such "unlimited" plans are subject to these Sprint Prohibited Network Uses.

Promotions, Options and Other Provisions
Data...Except with Phone-as-Modem plans, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device.

General Terms and Conditions of Service
Specific Terms & Restrictions On Using Data Services
In addition to the rules for using all of our other Services, unless we identify the Service or Device that you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose... If your Services include web or data access, you also can't use your Device as a modem for computers or other equipment, unless we identify the Service or Device you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose (for example, with "phone as modem" plans, Sprint Mobile Broadband card plans, wireless router plans, etc.).

https://shop2.sprint.com/en/legal/os_general_terms_conditions_popup.shtml

hs101

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I would actually prefer they terminate my contract if they don't charge any fees (since when is a free $600 phone a bad thing :)).

So the worst thing they can do is charge me the $30 for tethering if i get caught? (I wouldn't mind that so much if that's the worst thing they can do).

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
They will boot you and charge you an early termination fee. Sprint has been getting frisky with their contract Ts and Cs lately. If you want out, just wait for them to change again (happens several times a year) and get out of contract fee-free.

hs101

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
They will boot you and charge you an early termination fee. Sprint has been getting frisky with their contract Ts and Cs lately. If you want out, just wait for them to change again (happens several times a year) and get out of contract fee-free.

I don't want to get out of contract, but if they booted me without charging any fees i would not be sad. Also are you sure of what you said? While searching online I saw a post where a guy had his contract terminated but he didn't have to pay any termination fees (I couldn't find anyone else that would confirm or deny this however). If they would terminate my contract (which has 4 lines) I would have to pay over a thousand dollars of ETF's which is crazy.

What you said could be true, but I want to know if your just speculating or you know from experience (either yours or others).

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I have seen contract terminations, and I've also seen fees assessed per mb.

If you are going to do it, I suggest proceeding with caution. They may well not catch it just so long as there isn't a major spike in usage. Keep an eye on it.

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
1. Some tethering apps can be detected by the carrier, some cannot.

2. What Sprint does to you depends on your circumstances:

With a PAM plan:

Use more than 3GB/mo. while roaming - $.25/mb over. Use more than 5mb/mo while roaming - booted, no ETF. You can also get booted for excessive talk time while roaming with no ETF.
Use more than 5GB/mo. on the Sprint network - charged additional fees.

W/O a PAM plan:
Get caught tethering - booted, ETF fee.*

Up until the last year Sprint would allow nominal tethering on smartphones and didn't care. They never announced what the cut-off was though. This loophole was closed on 10/11.

Last edited:

hs101

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
1. Some tethering apps can be detected by the carrier, some cannot.

2. What Sprint does to you depends on your circumstances:

With a PAM plan:

Use more than 3GB/mo. while roaming - $.25/mb over. Use more than 5mb/mo while roaming - booted, no ETF. You can also get booted for excessive talk time while roaming with no ETF.
Use more than 5GB/mo. on the Sprint network - charged additional fees.

W/O a PAM plan:
Get caught tethering - booted, ETF fee.*

Up until the last year Sprint would allow nominal tethering on smartphones and didn't care. They never announced what the cut-off was though. This loophole was closed on 10/11.

Can you list your sources? Your the only one that gave me a clear cut answer. Are you just speculating or have you seen this from past experience, etc.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I have both been tethering without a PAM plan for about 4 years now. We each average 2-8gb of usage/month. Have never been charged a dime from Sprint.

If you aren't sure if it can be detected, use it for a few days and then check your usage online. If something shows up then stop. They most likely won't hang you for a couple days of usage and if they try, then you can always play dumb.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Let's just say that I'm a concerned citizen who has paid attention to news articles and forum posts related to this topic for the last decade. For obvious reasons Sprint doesn't want this information available to the general public so there isn't one easy link to post. Here's a compilation of data quickly assembled though:

Tethering overage fees .

Sprint kicks for 800 minutes of talk roaming or more than 50% of your usage or 300mb or the majority of your data.

Sprint boots 200 soldiers for excessive roaming.

Customers who abuse our network by violating the terms and conditions will be contacted by Sprint in an effort to have the customer change their usage to comply with their subscriber agreement. Customers who do not change their usage and remain in violation of the terms and conditions may be subject to actions reserved by Sprint, including but not limited to termination.

If you google, "Sprint roaming ETF" you will see many forum posts from members warned, kicked or hoping to be kicked ETF-free on Sprint.

Sprint seems to be less concerned about tracking down unauthorized tethering than some carriers. It's kind of AT&T's hobby. Every year or so AT&T will change their methods and catch people who were happily tethering under the radar for years. It's funny reading their whinging in forums.

Note: Original posting had incorrect information on data roaming. It should have shown more than 300mb or more than 50% of your data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital