which phone to upgrade to?

eeyore6802

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an Evo 4g and I'm eligible for an upgrade soon. The only problem I've had with the Evo is internal storage. It seems like a chunk of the apps I tend to use can't be moved to the SD card so im always getting low storage warnings. That alone has kept the iPhone in the back of my head(I know shame on me lol) what would everyone recommend to upgrade to on Sprint?

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Your answer will depend on your circumstances. The only information you've give us is, "like an EVO with more internal storage" - that covers a lot of phones. There's the usual bit about a slightly better phone coming out if you wait BUT Sprint has started their 4G u-turn - they're rolling out a LTE network to replace their WiMax network. The problem is you can't buy an LTE phone today and service won't be available until Q3 in select cities.

Will you be o.k. missing out on LTE, or would you rather wait for the LTE phones?

If you're sticking with WiMax you'll be able to save a lot of money if you can hang on for another 4 months. Retailers will be dumping them as the LTE rollout comes closer. You can probably save quite a bit on the blowout closeouts.

eeyore6802

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually not familiar with the differences in the wimax and LTE. Other things I mainly do with my phone is social networking, i like to customize which i'm pretty sure would be the downfall of the iphone. I like the facebook games which i know the iphone has a farmville app but im pretty sure thats it. there are some apps id like that android doesn't have yet but thats why im trying to figure out if id be giving up more going to an iphone.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
What is it that you love about the EVO? That will help us help you.

Also, when is your upgrade? There are a few phones scheduled to drop in the next couple months that will be bigger upgrades, and will also most likely knock the current phones that are upgrades for the evo down in pricing.

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
LTE vs. WiMax
1. LTE is testing around 40Mbps down, 5Mbps up.
2. WiMax uses 2.5Ghz spectrum, LTE will use 1900mhz and 800mhz spectrum. The low-end spectrum is better at penetrating buildings and obstacles. If you're having problems getting WiMax in some zones you may have better luck with the LTE.

Other concerns
Would you rather have a large, bright screen or a battery that lasts more than 1 day?
Are you o.k. with touchscreen typing, or would you prefer a hardware keyboard?
Do you have radio-free zones in your house or workplace where you can't get a signal or often drop calls?
Do you travel outside of the US?
Do you want the best phone and price is no object, or would you prefer a great phone at a good price?
Do you want a phone today, or are you willing to wait for certain features?
If you're willing to wait, how long?

The main problems with the iPhones is that they're 3G-only and very locked down. Many parts of the country are reporting pathetic data rates on 3G right now. Some folks aren't comfortable jailbreaking their iPhone which you often need to do before you can do the fun stuff (Cydia apps, tethering, etc.).

Reactions: intheb0x

eeyore6802

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I do like the customizing. I was using go launcher but had to get rid of it due to thespace issues. I get my discount for the upgrade on may 1st. I like the somewhat more apps that iPhone has cuz there are some want that are only iPhone. There also seems to be way more accessories everywhere for the iPhone. I've heard how's their no flash on iPhone, but what would that prevent me from doing? In general I do miss a keyboard but after the big screen I don't think I could go back to a regular keyboard. I always liked that on the blackberry but I know that's quite lacking compared to iPhone/Android(I'm also not a fan of the sliding keyboards) I wouldn't say price is no object but I obviously expect to pay something for a nicer phone compared to the ones that are usually free with a new contract.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
You're really going to hate a 3G smartphone until Sprint upgrades their network in your area. Apple has more apps because it's been around longer but Android will pass them soon. There are more accessories for Apple because they've been around longer and they aren't as diversified as Android phones.

I'd recommend the Motorola Photon 4G ($99.99 w/$50 MIR). WiMax will be supported through 2015; there's plenty of custom themes, mods and boot animations and the Motorola radio is far superior to anything you've experienced before.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Do you think the Evo 3d is a decent step up?

I got the 3D on launch day. 2 days later returned it. Some will disagree but IMO it felt more like a downgrade from the original Evo. Nothing about that phoned screamed "gotta have it!" I got the Motorola Photon which I didn't regret.

Between the radio, sound & build quality, I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my rooted WHITE SGSIIE4GT via TapaTalk

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I didn't find it a downgrade from the OG EVO - more onboard memory, faster, etc. The camera is worse, yeah, but it isn't terrible. But to each their own, everyone is allowed an opinion and some people have hardware issues that others don't.

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Personally, hold off on your upgrade until the galaxy nexus comes out, it will be the best upgrade,
I would just look on craigslist if you need a new device fix, I've seen evo 3ds going for 100-150 already, don't waste your upgrade on a older phone

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
As for the iphone, remember the screen is smaller than the evo, so that's a con in my book, plus apple being so locked down.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Just make sure you test signal strength with whatever you get. I've been seriously disappointed with Samsung devices (Nexus S 4G & Galaxy S II, dropping calls etc).

Depending on your area, there may be wisdom in sticking with a WiMax phone, as a LTE phone in an area without LTE is simply a 3G phone.

I've given serious thought to bailing on Sprint due to their phone lineup / 4G fiasco...but at the price I pay, I think I'll stick it out.

Currently, the Photon has the best signal strength of any other Android phone on Sprint.

I am tempted by the new HTC One X or perhaps the new iPhone later this year...hmmm.

Flash doesn't matter. Most sites are switching to HTML 5 anyway...and when you have to use flash, it sucks anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles