Upgrade Time!! Recommendation

Deadly_Poison630

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had the LG Optimus S for nearly two and a half years, really like it but it's bout time i upgrade to a better device.
Ideally, it would have:
- the ability to use WiFi when available
- large bright touchscreen
- no physical keyboard
- at least acceptable battery life
- the ability to always grab the latest OS
- Option to remove bloatware would be awesome
- Not too loyal to a particular manufacturer but it has to be on Sprint's network
- I am in an okay coverage area, so having a nice radio would be a plus
- Ability to use a 32gb sd card
- Good camera is a must! I take tons of pics with my phone.
- Little Lag

What would you recommend?
As far as Android devices go, it seems like various manufacturers are on different versions of the OS. And sometimes devices from the same manufacturer on on different versions. What's the story with this? Are all Android devices able to sync or download the latest versions of the OS as they come out?

Thanks in advance!!

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Htc evo lte

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

+1

As far as bloatware goes, you can't get away from that unless you root. Rooting gets a little complicated at takes some time to come around for a newly released phone.

The EVO 4G LTE will have the latest version of the OS, which are, at the base, all the same with a specific manufacturers version installed over the top. The EVO will have Sense.

Most new releases of popular phones will also get the latest versions of the OS for the first year.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I've heard around the forums that the sprint galaxy nexus has almost all of the bloatware removed, it satisfies almost all you reqs and already has a massive community. BTW LG optimus s FTW!!!

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: tirith

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Photon. 1080p camcorder, 8mb cam, good batt life (still not as good as my optimus was) but manageable. 4.3" screen. No keyboard, ics coming in q3. MOST bloatware is uninstall-able, such as sprint tv, sprint music, and nascar.

And motorola radios are by far the best, from my own personal experience. I've used htc, lg, and moto.

Nexus is sposed to be vanilla android, but we all know sprint added some dumb stuff like mobile wallet...

Evo lte, nice if you live in an area getting lte within 2 years.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I've heard about the nexus is a horrible radio... Not sure how sprint's model is handling...

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Nexus is sposed to be vanilla android, but we all know sprint added some dumb stuff like mobile wallet...

The Galaxy Nexus is pure vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich. NO BLOATWARE.
It does come with Google Wallet, but they give you $50.00 for activating it.
What's not to like...

Galaxy Nexus:cool:

Agree. Concur. Definitely. Accede.
Best phone I have ever had.

Mav. :cool:

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had the LG Optimus S for nearly two and a half years, really like it but it's bout time i upgrade to a better device.

I am not calling you a liar, but the Optimus S was released on or around Halloween 2010, so I am wondering how you have had the phone for nearly 2 1/2 years when it hasn't even been available to the public for 2 years yet?

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Well yea, it was october '10. Was an amazing cheap phone. I had mine for a year til I ditched it for an evo shift

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Even the few things I've ran into with it...Go G'nex all the way. Though you do need to ask yourself one question....do I care more about software or hardware. If you say software then grab the Nexus. If you say hardware then grab the EVO 4G LTE. Simple as that. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
OK folks, please help an old guy out. I am going to give my wife my EVO 4G. I would like a phone that has a screen that can be read outside on a nice sunny day. I would also like to go all day without having to worry about the battery running out, I am not a heavy user of video downloads but I do like to spend about 1-2 hours surfing the net.

Do I go with the Nexus S111, HTC EVO 4G LTE or heaven forbid an iphone ?

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
.... then quickly decided that the shift was only slightly less "cheap" and ditched that for a Photon?

Actually, upgrade came up and I broke my shift's screen... Twice. But yea, the shift was nice when I had it.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
OK folks, please help an old guy out. I am going to give my wife my EVO 4G. I would like a phone that has a screen that can be read outside on a nice sunny day. I would also like to go all day without having to worry about the battery running out, I am not a heavy user of video downloads but I do like to spend about 1-2 hours surfing the net.

Do I go with the Nexus S111, HTC EVO 4G LTE or heaven forbid an iphone ?

Visit your local store, with a rep, take some phones outside, and make your decision.

You my good fellow, need to demo these devices in person, as you are going to be your own end user.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy nexus. Just get it...trust me u won't be disappointed. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech