Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
With the new areas being turned on now. Has anyone seen a difference yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

As I mentioned in earlier post lots of new areas powering up over the last week around me. Only thing which I'm trying to stay optimistic about is the speeds... Seems like 4-7 mbps on LTE is the normal.. Occasionally pegging some high speeds in the mid to upper teens but no where what I saw in earlier testing areas back a month ago...

Again I'm being fair, we haven't gotten official announcement from Sprint and it could very well be once its announced and moving forward they will up the speeds.

But its still far better than the poor 3g speeds we normally dealt with, even at 4-7 mbps :)

Edit: I stand corrected I saw on the blog that Chicago has been officially announced by Sprint for LTE service... :)

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Bummer part... My wife has the SGSIII and she's rocking solid 4g speed here at home.. I have the Sprint GNex and I can't grab 4g LTE at home :(

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well no love on the PRL update. I already had the most recent version.

My daughter's GNex is the same no LTE love at home but the wife's SGSIII is eating up the LTE :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Weird. I'm on my third phone and all three of them picked up 4G just fine. Time to visit a Sprint store?
Nah, both my Sprint GNex and my daughters Sprint GNex work fine on LTE. Thing I was complaining or bummed about was how my wife was getting LTE love at home on her SGSIII and my daughter and I can't grab the same LTE signal on our GNex's...

Just goes to show the difference of quality LTE radio (signal reception) between the Samsung SGSIII and Samsung GNex.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I was just bout to say that Paul I think the galaxy series phones has better radios than the nexus ones because my epic holds 4g and WiFi better than my ns4g

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think the 4g LTE antenna works better than any other antenna on this evo. Even when on wifi I would get cut out downloads while trying to get anything. with lte, i have no issues download a movie without loosing a connection or something timing out. you would think wifi was the way to go, but not anymore. lte is great, now if they can just get it to cover more ground, so i have no gaps between home and work.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I was just bout to say that Paul I think the galaxy series phones has better radios than the nexus ones because my epic holds 4g and WiFi better than my ns4g

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Agree with you there. My other daughter has my wife's old Epic 4g and its Wi-Fi and radio are better than my old NS4G.

enzie5454

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
In Vernon Hills and received 4G in my house for about 5 minutes. Then went back to 3g. What happened? Anyway speeds were in the 4mb range.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
In Vernon Hills and received 4G in my house for about 5 minutes. Then went back to 3g. What happened? Anyway speeds were in the 4mb range.

Could be your catching a new upgraded tower that is going thru the test phase before it goes online full time.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah same thing is happening to me here in Oak Park. I'm getting a fairly good signal now, but when I go into my building it's like being in a bunker, 4g just vanishes. I live on the 3rd floor and you would think I would be able to get LTE no problem. I updated the PRL and Profile and nothing seems to work. But as soon as I go outside I get LTE again. Kind of strange.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Anything new to report?

Seems like the near west 'burbs is getting better and better and I'm getting a pretty good LTE signal around Oak Park, Berwyn and Forest Park especially along Harlem avenue. Noticed it's still a bit hit and miss around LaGrange Park and Brookfield along 31st street. Was finally getting some solid LTE action this week in Oak Brook, nothing steller just about 5mbps up.

Going into the city around Wicker Park tonight so I'm curious to see if there is any LTE action there.

Last edited:

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I've recently had LTE in parts of Skokie, Evanston, Morton Grove and Rogers Park. Seems to be lighting up in my neck of the woods, though I still don't have LTE in my house.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been using that Sensorly app from the Play Store and when you look at the Coverage Map for Chicago & suburbs, as you drive around it gives you real time stats for your location and as more people use this app to help map out 4G/LTE coverage its showing many areas are now enjoying some sort of LTE coverage. Its only going to get better with time :)

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I've been using Sensory here and there when I can, and it is a really great app for finding out where there is LTE coverage :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I've been using Sensory here and there when I can, and it is a really great app for finding out where there is LTE coverage :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
That's great. I hope in the long run it will help us provide info to Sprint to eventually fill in any remaining gaps of missing LTE as the upgrade nears completion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance