Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
So anyone have anything to report this week?

LTE is still pumping out in the near west 'burbs, fairly strong in most of the area.

Still a bit hit and miss around the Oak Brook area but it's getting better it seems week by week. Was out in Naperville around Jefferson St. near North Central Saturday night and was getting LTE on and off.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I know my girls place here in elgin finally has some lte love. Use tovonl get a bar of 3g at her place. Now nearly full lte. Not that fast yet but an improvement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Look at the recent lte coverage
vugavemy.jpg

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352323014468.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352323014468.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 18

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
That map is not accurate. I live in Evanston, just north of the purple strip shown on the map, and I don't have LTE in my home or within a few block radius of my home. However when I travel to the central part of Evanston north of me, where your map shows no LTE coverage, I have LTE. I'm just sayin'! :)

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well sensorly goes off of user data so maybe your phone radio is to weak to pick it up its not a sprint map because my sis s3 has lte all around me where the map is purple

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
That map is not accurate. I live in Evanston, just north of the purple strip shown on the map, and I don't have LTE in my home or within a few block radius of my home. However when I travel to the central part of Evanston north of me, where your map shows no LTE coverage, I have LTE. I'm just sayin'! :)

I think a lot has to do with phone. I've noticed when comparing my wife's SGSIII to my Sprint Gnex she grabs LTE more often than i do. Her device obviously has a much better LTE reception than i do. That could be the case for many people.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot has to do with phone. I've noticed when comparing my wife's SGSIII to my Sprint Gnex she grabs LTE more often than i do. Her device obviously has a much better LTE reception than i do. That could be the case for many people.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Thank u bro that's what I said lol

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Well as much as I think Sensorly is a great app, I much prefer hearing from people or "boots on the ground" on this topic. As we've all seen on Sensorly it seems most of the major roads and expressways are pumping out LTE, while the side streets in neighnorhoods are kind of a toss up whether it actually has LTE or not.

I've seen this first hand while driving through the near west 'burbs, the North side of Chicago and eastern Dupage. Once you get on the sidestreets, Sensorly says it's lit up with LTE and it's just not the case a majority of the time.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well as much as I think Sensorly is a great app, I much prefer hearing from people or "boots on the ground" on this topic. As we've all seen on Sensorly it seems most of the major roads and expressways are pumping out LTE, while the side streets in neighnorhoods are kind of a toss up whether it actually has LTE or not.

I've seen this first hand while driving through the near west 'burbs, the North side of Chicago and eastern Dupage. Once you get on the sidestreets, Sensorly says it's lit up with LTE and it's just not the case a majority of the time.

You're saying that you're not getting LTE in places where the Sensorly map shows that it's available? Well, you have to remember, each device has its own rules for what signal strength to connect to 4G or 3G. Plus, towers could be turned on or off for testing or maintenance, so until Chicago is officially launched, the areas with available LTE may fluctuate. Then there's the fact that side streets tend to have more trees, houses, and other obstructions than major roads.

Really, for all intents and purposes, Sensorly is the "boots on the ground" source you want. It's completely crowd sourced. If Sensorly shows LTE signal somewhere, that means that someone using Sensorly has had an LTE signal at that location. There are lots of reasons you may not personally connect to LTE when you get there, but that doesn't mean the area isn't covered or won't be covered in the near future.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank u like I said it gets the data from REAL WORLD USERS who have lte and my house is on a side street by a lot of trees but my sis s3 and lil bro ip5 gets lte just fine

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I agree with you on this, but at the same time I really believe many of the users that are providing the Sensorly app information are also using either the HTC EVO 4G LTE Or the SGSIII which both seem to have far superior radio reception when compared to the GNex or other LTE supporting devices.

In my neighborhood, my wife gets LTE at home no problem. I have to walk/drive about 3 or 4 blocks towards the main street outside our subdivision to catch LTE on my Sprint GNex. So its basically telling us that those doing most of the mapping are using those devices.

Eventually I feel it will fill in better over time as they finish the upgrade and get things fine tuned. We will still have some dead zones but they should be limited.

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I only tried Sensorly once before I uninstalled it. I understand that it is data sent in by users, and all I'm saying is it's not accurate for my area. It shows LTE where I'm not receiving it (EVO LTE) and doesn't show coverage where I am receiving it.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but look what phone u have lol I'm so tired of seeing the multiple threads about the lte radio on the evo lte my sis can get lte on her s3 that my lil bro and his ip5 can't

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but look what phone u have lol I'm so tired of seeing the multiple threads about the lte radio on the evo lte my sis can get lte on her s3 that my lil bro and his ip5 can't

I'm sorry that you don't understand English. I DO get LTE on my phone, in Evanston, just not where your map shows it's available. I'm not attacking you or your love for Sensorly, just stating facts from a real "boots on the ground" person. Do you get it now?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It is possible that the areas showing LTE on the Sensorly map than your not seeing in person when on the ground is possible "test" areas. We know Sprint said it was around 50% or so finished when they went official back a few weeks ago. It wouldn't surprise me if some areas that are listed as having LTE could have been caught during test phases of newly upgraded towers that will be going live very soon. We had this all over down in the Plainfield area for a good month or so, one day you would grab LTE in a certain spot and return the next day and have no sign of LTE anywhere.

Otherwise were all waiting patently for all of Chicagoland area and the burbs to receive its fully finished LTE upgrade so we can put the guessing games and peak a boo with on & off LTE signal to rest :)

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You're saying that you're not getting LTE in places where the Sensorly map shows that it's available? Well, you have to remember, each device has its own rules for what signal strength to connect to 4G or 3G. Plus, towers could be turned on or off for testing or maintenance, so until Chicago is officially launched, the areas with available LTE may fluctuate. Then there's the fact that side streets tend to have more trees, houses, and other obstructions than major roads.

Sprint officially launched Chicago on October 22.

kato669

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have intermittent LTE in Wicker Park/Bucktown. However, may still be testing but still great to know it's on the verge of a full West town roll out.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463