$18 Text messaging tax?????

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Is this right....Sprint charge $18 and change for a "text messaging tax"?:eek:

Surely that can't be right....saw this in the estimated print out of my bill when I received my evo at Best Buy.

If so, I will not have that charge incurred on a monthly basis. I just recently jumped on with Sprint and if not dropped or lowered to $1 or even less...I will exploit the 30 Sprint guarantee refund.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
To have the EVO you'd have to have a plan that includes unlimited texting. There is no separate charge for text messaging.

You should always just call Sprint. They're happy to explain anything or take care of any problems with billing.

rockcrawler

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Is this right....Sprint charge $18 and change for a "text messaging tax"?:eek:

Surely that can't be right....saw this in the estimated print out of my bill when I received my evo at Best Buy.

If so, I will not have that charge incurred on a monthly basis. I just recently jumped on with Sprint and if not dropped or lowered to $1 or even less...I will exploit the 30 Sprint guarantee refund.

i would take no care on whatever BB gave you as an estimated bill. The $18 is incorrect. There is not even a 'Text Messaging tax' listed on my bill.

There are however a total of $6.84 in Sprint Surcharges, which half of seem to be fed and state fees imposed on Sprint being passed on the customer.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Whew...that sounds great.... Hey...that's why the boards exist. I knew it had to be mistaken. I'll give them a call and see what they tell me.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
There are however a total of $6.84 in Sprint Surcharges, which half of seem to be fed and state fees imposed on Sprint being passed on the customer.

yeah, those are to be expected and come with the territory. The one I brought up though most definitely wouldn't be. But as you all already stated...it must be a mis-print or something.

I'll square it all away with Sprint on a little CS call.

dre3k2

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Could it be the $18 upgrade fee for not getting it at a sprint store? I was charged something like that.. couldn't remember if it was exactly $18 though.

xorbe

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
My first bill was $130. $36 sign-up, some $5 one-time discount, $11 for partial prorated month, $69.99+$10 for the next full month, and $8 in taxes and fees. Bought at BB.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The $18 is a fee for swapping a phone in a store vs ordering online. It's basically an activation fee for an existing line.

Some people have allegedly got Sprint to remove it for being a Premier Customer, but I don't know personally. I'm going to send an email and see what they say, but I'm not too worried about it. Their literature does say free activation is only on phones purchased online.

They should probably inform people though instead of so many people getting a bill with an unlabeled $18 charge on it.