how bad is sprint 3g?

equishd

May 20, 2012
Visit site
ok im stuck between family plan on sprint and saving A LOT of money or at&t single line for performance.

now my question is how bad is sprint really?? i seen way to many complaints on the speed of the network and living in an area that barely got wimax [near orlando,fl] idk when to expect LTE.

at&t will be bout $20+ plus other deals that i will be missing out on but have a strong LTE in this area.

:confused:

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have Sprint and its a bit slow right now, until the newly LTE is set up. I'm saving with everything plan and the insurance is half the $200.00 deductible that at&t make you pay. I'm willing to wait six months to get the speed I need and for now the 3g I'm using is tolerable.:);):D:thumbup:

sent from my Evo4LTE

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
It really depends on your location. If network vision was coming here anytime soon, I would have possibly stayed. But with our area not even scheduled to start until end of 2013. There is no way I could suffer sub 100kbps speeds for another 18 months or more.

As for insurance, sprints is going up very soon. Deductible will be about the same or more than att. 200-250. Monthly fee for insurance is also increasing.

Regardless, it just comes down to your location. If you're 3g is usable and LTE is coming then I would stay. If like me, 3g is unusable and LTE is not coming. Leave and check back in 2 years when it might be done.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on your location. If network vision was coming here anytime soon, I would have possibly stayed. But with our area not even scheduled to start until end of 2013. There is no way I could suffer sub 100kbps speeds for another 18 months or more.

As for insurance, sprints is going up very soon. Deductible will be about the same or more than att. 200-250. Monthly fee for insurance is also increasing.

Regardless, it just comes down to your location. If you're 3g is usable and LTE is coming then I would stay. If like me, 3g is unusable and LTE is not coming. Leave and check back in 2 years when it might be done.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Where did you get your repair deduction info? I spoke to a Sprint this week about the TEP total equipment protection plan. I was told the only changes that were occurring were the monthly premiums. According to the rep. any smart phone/ advanced equipment over $500.00 the new fee would Change to $11.00 per monthly charge.

sent from my Evo4LTE

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Where did you get your repair deduction info? I spoke to a Sprint this week about the TEP total equipment protection plan. I was told the only changes that were occurring were the monthly premiums. According to the rep. any smart phone/ advanced equipment over $500.00 the new fee would Change to $11.00 per monthly charge.

sent from my Evo4LTE

I just spoke again with a Sprint customer rep. They said after June first the TEP deduction will be raised from the $100.00 to $150.00 which is still $50.00 cheaper than at&t . This is only if the phone issue is due to the negligence of the owner and not the phone itself.

sent from my Evo4LTE

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have Sprint and its a bit slow right now, until the newly LTE is set up. I'm saving with everything plan and the insurance is half the $200.00 deductible that at&t make you pay. I'm willing to wait six months to get the speed I need and for now the 3g I'm using is tolerable.:);):D:thumbup:

sent from my Evo4LTE

I have correct the new TEP deduction charge as our June 1,2012. It went up according to Sprint rep from $100.00 to $150.00 for owner related repair. It's still $50.00 cheaper than At&t deduction which may be a factor to some.

sent from my Evo4LTE

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Unless your doing lots of downloads or lots of streaming of videos then you should be alright with the speeds. I usually get between 200-500kbps, but over the weekend I was getting just over 1mb (not sure why). But if you're in a 4G WiMax area, I'd suggest getting a WiMax device, since LTE is still kinda far away in most places.

equishd

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Unless your doing lots of downloads or lots of streaming of videos then you should be alright with the speeds. I usually get between 200-500kbps, but over the weekend I was getting just over 1mb (not sure why). But if you're in a 4G WiMax area, I'd suggest getting a WiMax device, since LTE is still kinda far away in most places.

Wimax not an option already seen the not so impressive speeds of it.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
ok im stuck between family plan on sprint and saving A LOT of money or at&t single line for performance.

now my question is how bad is sprint really?? i seen way to many complaints on the speed of the network and living in an area that barely got wimax [near orlando,fl] idk when to expect LTE.

at&t will be bout $20+ plus other deals that i will be missing out on but have a strong LTE in this area.

:confused:

For me, Sprint 3G was unusable most of the time and barely usable the rest. I live in a small college town with an interstate nearby; 24,000 residents, including the college students.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Sprint 3G speed in the western Chicago suburbs is tolerable at about 700 - 900 kbps. Calls, however, are dropped multiple times per call. So, be sure you use the phone as much as possible during your trial period to make sure it works where you're at.

Fubie

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Depends on where you are.

Where I live (Town of 200K people) my Sprint service absolutely blows. 1000ms plus pings with downloads less than 20kbps. I had to laugh when I did a speed test in the middle of no where (Fordland, MO pop 762) and got a pint of 140ms with a download of over 1400kps.

I really do laugh hearing people cry about not getting Sprint 4G (Wimax or LTE) when my family can't get decent 3G.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Sprint 3G speed in the western Chicago suburbs is tolerable at about 700 - 900 kbps. Calls, however, are dropped multiple times per call. So, be sure you use the phone as much as possible during your trial period to make sure it works where you're at.

My area is/was the opposite. Slooooooooow data but call quality & reliability = FANTASTIC. I miss the calling part quite a bit. Many people commented that it sounded so good they thought I was on a landline. Not so much anymore on AT&T.

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Even though people say it will get better with Network Vision, I'm in Atlanta and apparently Sprint finished Network Vision here a few months ago and I'm still seeing .07 Mbps, if I'm lucky

But Sprint's 3G is only useful for web browsing...and it still takes awhile to load a page like Android Central. It's borderline unusable.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Atlanta sitting in the middle of Red Lobster having dinner. Here's my 3G:

View attachment 27907

LTE will launch here soon!
Ouch.. I feel your pain....

I seriously hope Sprint does some miracles, I too see speeds similar here in Chicago suburbs which according to the Network Vision upgrade process is one of the most extensive markets for the amount of towers (1,100) or something like that....

All those towers and not enough juice pushing through em.. :(

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
When I got my HTC Hero on Sprint I would get 1Mb down all day long but over the last year my data speeds would be horrific and signal seemed to get worse so I dropped them. They also didnt have any phones I wanted, SGII was nice but not my style. I sat on an upgrade for a year waiting for a phone I wanted. For everyone still with Sprint and having data problems I wish you the best, hopefully they can turn things around.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
When I got my HTC Hero on Sprint I would get 1Mb down all day long but over the last year my data speeds would be horrific and signal seemed to get worse so I dropped them. They also didnt have any phones I wanted, SGII was nice but not my style. I sat on an upgrade for a year waiting for a phone I wanted. For everyone still with Sprint and having data problems I wish you the best, hopefully they can turn things around.

What carrier and phone did you end up getting?

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Sprint has very poor service and you would do yourself some justice by viewing its community on sprint.com.
I was about to start a new post about the horrendous service until I saw this. To sum things up i've talked with "advanced tech support" and have taken my phone to the store. The Sprint repair rep told me that Sprint is no longer focused on 3g tech and that Ill just have to deal with 20kbps speeds as long as I have a 3g phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca