Washington DC 4G

bluger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
So, I know that Clear launched in DC, but does that necessarily mean that Spring supports it on their mobile devices? The Spring employees (granted, the aren't always the best informed) deny that coverage is live. I can't get a reliable signal even in areas that are listed as BEST COVERAGE. Anyone know this works?

gbp

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
there is another thread on this very same topic. Last I heard it was live in Silver Spring , few areas in D.C and Tysons.

markwoll

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I get a 'poor' signal in the Carlyle area of Alexandria. It's still faster than 3g.
Nothing South of the Beltway in that same area.

mark

aldrydd

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I live and work in DC, and the only place I've gotten a 4G signal is in a small area near Metro Center.

To be fair, I keep the 4G radio off almost all the time except when I'm looking to see if 4G is available.

olsonn

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I get a very strong 4G signal down by the Verizon Center.

I get up to 2 bars near Van Ness, but only 1 going up and down Connecticut around that area (Cleveland Park, mainly).

I agree that it is very spotty, and not nearly as good as it "should" be based on the map.

bluger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've found CLEAR WiMAX 4G Coverage Area Map to be helpful and fairly accurate in the few places I've tried and checked. The only indoor consistently strong signal (and indoors) I've seen is in Foggy Bottom.
My understanding is that 4G/Wimax doesn't penetrate buildings as well as the other established cell technologies because of a wider wavelength. I wonder what it's like in cities where the 4G footprint is well established like Seattle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674