Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi, anyone successfully get out of their ETF? I think at this point I'll pay it but I've had it with not be able to use my phone. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I would just wait it out the network will get better they just need time they are probably working on your area for the network revision

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Can you elaborate? Not being able to use your phone is so extremely vague.
I can understand your frustrations. Last month or so was down right horrible with Sprint, but they have also been working on the LTE/Network Vision upgrades in Illinois (Chicago suburbs) where I live. Drop calls constantly, choppy conversation, constant clicking sounds..

Now the last week or so things have greatly improved. I know the upgrade isn't over in my area but things have gotten better. In our case in Illinois they are switching from the older Motorola brand equipment to Samsung equipment and there has been some difficulties getting the two to trade off signals between the old and new.. Basically they said as they power down the old and replace it with the new it would get better and the problems should go away.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I can understand your frustrations. Last month or so was down right horrible with Sprint, but they have also been working on the LTE/Network Vision upgrades in Illinois (Chicago suburbs) where I live. Drop calls constantly, choppy conversation, constant clicking sounds..

Now the last week or so things have greatly improved. I know the upgrade isn't over in my area but things have gotten better. In our case in Illinois they are switching from the older Motorola brand equipment to Samsung equipment and there has been some difficulties getting the two to trade off signals between the old and new.. Basically they said as they power down the old and replace it with the new it would get better and the problems should go away.

Right. They are switching the iDen towers to CDMA and LTE towers. The service in an area will suck until the switch is complete. They just switched the ones here to CDMA ones. For about a week most people couldn't get calls or texts. They could send them however.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
My concern is that even with the changes the signal won't penetrate buildings. It's my understanding that even with the upgrades, the frequencies are still ones that don't go into buildings that well. I don't use my phone outside that often and am tired of not getting a signal even two feet inside a building and seeing someone with verizon getting full bars. If someone can reassure me that things will improve I would appreciate it. I may just have to see what people say once the LTE towers are turned on I guess.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Can you elaborate? Not being able to use your phone is so extremely vague.

Sorry, yes. I usually fluctuate between roaming with one bar and one to two bars. Even with three bars the other day I was getting the message that the page couldn't be displayed when trying to browse the internet. I could make a call with no problems but when ran a speed test was getting 85 kbps dowload speed and 22 kbps uplaod speed. Web pages would just hand and never load.

Ogre840

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm also curious about the possibility of getting out of my ETF due to poor service.

When I first got my E4gT things were good, a little better than when I had my EVO, but slowly speeds would drop to almost unusable levels. Then I rooted and ROM'd and things were better again, but sure enough things slowly got worse again. Chalked it up to my phone being bad, and was going to take it into a store to have them check it out (after reverting to stock).

Recently though, the few other Sprint users here at work have also been complaining about no data. Not just slow, but no 3g/4g, barely getting 1x signal too. I decided to chat with Sprint about it (using their chat system, so I could have transcripts). The first time was June 29, I was giving a ticket number, and an estimated fix date of 02/17/2012 08:03:54 CST, which they quickly changed to 06/30/2012 06:33:21 CST in their next message to me.

The 30th rolls by, and I chat again, when I'm told that ticket was specifically for a text outage, and that they'd reset my profile on my phone. After sending the signal to redownload my profile, and asking me to let them know when it was done, I never got another reply from the rep I was talking to (15 - 25 minutes of me telling them "ok it's done" "ready to test" "ok well I tried X app and still nothing, trying a website now... nope..." "hello?").

Next day, another chat, followed by "Ok I'll open a ticket with the techs, have a good day" and no ticket.

Jump to today, another chat. No record of that ticket from Monday in their system, and the last ticket regarding a data outage in my area was resolved, June 29. The first day I chatted.

The agent told me I'd need to call to speak with a tech about this issue and there was nothing they could do via chat (I buy that, but why not tell me that on day 1? Or give me the right ticket? Or... or...)

Frankly I'm fed up, but as I got the E4gT on release day, I still have a heinous ETF, and it's hard deciding continuing paying my bill for no service while I'm at work, or parting with $300ish dollars due to their service not working.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm also curious about the possibility of getting out of my ETF due to poor service.

When I first got my E4gT things were good, a little better than when I had my EVO, but slowly speeds would drop to almost unusable levels. Then I rooted and ROM'd and things were better again, but sure enough things slowly got worse again. Chalked it up to my phone being bad, and was going to take it into a store to have them check it out (after reverting to stock).

Recently though, the few other Sprint users here at work have also been complaining about no data. Not just slow, but no 3g/4g, barely getting 1x signal too. I decided to chat with Sprint about it (using their chat system, so I could have transcripts). The first time was June 29, I was giving a ticket number, and an estimated fix date of 02/17/2012 08:03:54 CST, which they quickly changed to 06/30/2012 06:33:21 CST in their next message to me.

The 30th rolls by, and I chat again, when I'm told that ticket was specifically for a text outage, and that they'd reset my profile on my phone. After sending the signal to redownload my profile, and asking me to let them know when it was done, I never got another reply from the rep I was talking to (15 - 25 minutes of me telling them "ok it's done" "ready to test" "ok well I tried X app and still nothing, trying a website now... nope..." "hello?").

Next day, another chat, followed by "Ok I'll open a ticket with the techs, have a good day" and no ticket.

Jump to today, another chat. No record of that ticket from Monday in their system, and the last ticket regarding a data outage in my area was resolved, June 29. The first day I chatted.

The agent told me I'd need to call to speak with a tech about this issue and there was nothing they could do via chat (I buy that, but why not tell me that on day 1? Or give me the right ticket? Or... or...)

Frankly I'm fed up, but as I got the E4gT on release day, I still have a heinous ETF, and it's hard deciding continuing paying my bill for no service while I'm at work, or parting with $300ish dollars due to their service not working.

From what I understand, the contract says they have to provide service in your home. If you're not getting a signal in your home they will often send you a free AirWave which you connect to your broadband internet and it creates a sprint signal in your house. If you call and complain to customer service they should send you one free with no monthly fees. It might take a call to retentions after you threaten to leave. I'm not sure what happenes if you tell them you don't have broadband internet. You might be able to get out in that case.

In terms of bad service anywhere besides your home, I'm 99% sure they will not let you out of your ETF for that. It sucks that you don't really have any recourse for bad service in places that they claim to have coverage, but that the way the contract is setup. (from what I've been told)

Ogre840

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand, the contract says they have to provide service in your home. If you're not getting a signal in your home they will often send you a free AirWave which you connect to your broadband internet and it creates a sprint signal in your house. If you call and complain to customer service they should send you one free with no monthly fees. It might take a call to retentions after you threaten to leave. I'm not sure what happenes if you tell them you don't have broadband internet. You might be able to get out in that case.

In terms of bad service anywhere besides your home, I'm 99% sure they will not let you out of your ETF for that. It sucks that you don't really have any recourse for bad service in places that they claim to have coverage, but that the way the contract is setup. (from what I've been told)

I had a feeling something like that would be the case. I knew about the AirWave, but I have no way to set one up at work lol.

I have a feeling since it's only data that is impacted, they won't do anything, since a cell phones first purpose is calls, and data secondary.

Still debating if the ETF and higher rates elsewhere would be worth it, or just wait it out and hope they upgrade sooner than "in two years" (which the chat agent said).

Thanks for the info!

JayMunOne

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Force roam. Use liberally until they start calling. Continue to use liberally and they will show you the door with no ETF. I do it now and haven't heard from Sprint so YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36