Sprint vs. at&t network speeds

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
:eek:
A 2.5 second ping time? WTF? That means no matter HOW FAST your connection is, pages will NEVER load faster than 2.5 secs and every single connection that your iPhone makes will have a 2.5 sec lag added to it.

He/she probably didn't change the server.

I know on the Evo it defaults to Overland Park, KS when I'm in Chicago. When I change it to Chicago, the ping goes from 260 ms down to 120 ms.

Although 2.5 s is really long time unless it's going to the moon...

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
He/she probably didn't change the server.

I know on the Evo it defaults to Overland Park, KS when I'm in Chicago. When I change it to Chicago, the ping goes from 260 ms down to 120 ms.

Although 2.5 s is really long time unless it's going to the moon...

No, take a look, the OP says they are in Charlotte and this is a Charlotte server....:eek:

Probably right down the street. Looks like ATT is collecting the incoming data, maybe compressing it and then pushing it out? if so that will slow down websites DRAMATICALLY while making speedtests look super fast. If that is what they are doing, I must say I'm not surprised, they seem like the type of company that rather than fixing network speeds, they just make the user think they are faster.

Runnin_it

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, I am in St. Louis. I did a speedtest (android app) to servers in St. Louis and got 1.7 meg down. I switched to servers in Chicago immediately after, tested again, and got 3.09 meg down. Server congestion will play a big part in test times. Try another set of servers.

Also, speakeasy gave 5.5 meg on Chicago servers...

Lockeskidney

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
tumblr_l4ixvescot1qzu186o1_500.png

my 3g is pretty quick

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't the tortoise win in the end?

4G speeds are unreliable at best. I wish Sprint would have made sure the service was reliable before tooting their horn over it.

it is a new network
go look a coverage maps for voice 10 years ago they were real crappy too

beret9987

May 14, 2010
Visit site
It really depends on what you're looking for. I vastly prefer the open-ness with the Android platform and the price I pay with Sprint to have 5 lines with smartphones with heavy talkers. With that being said, choose your carrier first, then your phone. If you're having good luck with AT&T, thats great! Just keep in mind without the unlimited data though, it would get expensive depending on what you're doing. I've somehow managed to do about 9GBs of data transfer off my phone with no tethering ever since launch day.

EDIT: Just another thing to think about is that all glass body. I've heard way too many reports of shattering already and the phone hasn't been out for more than a day! Up to you when it comes down to durability of your phone though.

Last edited:

EVO Navian

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If you end up going with the Evo send your iPhone 4 to this guy. He'll pay for your 2 year contract if you start having iPhone 4 withdrawals. From the ratings, it looks like people don't mind another iPhone 4 being blended :)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
As with all the carriers your network performance - whether voice or data - is going to depend on your individual circumstances related to geography and available technologies. I picked up an iPhone 4 yesterday to see what all the fuss was about, and I can't even get speeds on it that match or beat Sprint's 3G speeds.

Moving to carrier forum and renaming appropriately as this has nothing to do with the EVO nor the iPhone. It's a carrier network related discussion.

P.S. - Now would be a great time to remind everyone of the following forum rules ;)

Respect others - Be courteous to other forum members
regardless of their age/race/sexual preference/etc. Be tolerant of
those who disagree with your opinion and discuss differences in a
constructive manner. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Personal Attacks - Do not flame, insult, or post a personal
attack against another user on the Android Central forums. Be courteous, not rude.
Do not troll or respond to trolls.

Last edited:

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
this thread is not about the iphone 4 vs the evo, you are talking about ATT speeds vs sprint speeds. of course ATT HSDPA is going to be faster than sprint EVDO. regarding sprint 4G wimax, well that is a different issue too. i'm not sold on wimax yet because my ATT speeds are so damn fast already, and they are only going to upgrade to 21Mbps soon too. if sprint 4g is slow now while the network is still new and not congested, then what will happen when millions of users start switching over to wimax? sure they will increase bandsidth capacity. but still, shouldnt you be getting good speeds currently with the network under no load?

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
As with all the carriers your network performance - whether voice or data - is going to depend on your individual circumstances related to geography and available technologies...
That's exactly it. It does not matter what the carriers are rated at nationally. It only matters what reception and speeds YOU get in YOUR area.

Check out the Sensorly maps that were made by other users in your area. These are not hype from carriers but real coverage readings by other users.

If your area is not yet mapped for your carrier, let it run as you drive around and in a few hours your coverage will be added to the maps.

- Craig

Dean50

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
AT&T's network is great for big cities (except for the bay area) and Sprint's network is great for the east coast but sucks in the midwest. AT&T is notorious for having horrible signal in rural areas and smaller cities but it most big cities it provides really great coverage and signal.

Here's another great comparison on the networks both AT&T and Sprint provide