Sprint @ Miller Park

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody else have issues with terrible data connection at major sports venues? I was at Miller Park in Milwaukee last night and I may as well have left my Galaxy S3 in the car, it was completely useless. The data connection was non-existent and I received a couple text messages from friends who wanted to meet up in the stadium. Unfortunately, Sprint didn?t deliver these messages to me until after I was halfway home.

I?ve been with Sprint for over 12 years but it?s getting incredibly frustrating that they?ll keep selling me 4G phones and charging me for ?premium data? that I can never use. Has anybody successfully been able to use the ?I?m paying for premium data but not getting it? argument to be released from their contract?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody else have issues with terrible data connection at major sports venues? I was at Miller Park in Milwaukee last night and I may as well have left my Galaxy S3 in the car, it was completely useless. The data connection was non-existent and I received a couple text messages from friends who wanted to meet up in the stadium. Unfortunately, Sprint didn?t deliver these messages to me until after I was halfway home.

I?ve been with Sprint for over 12 years but it?s getting incredibly frustrating that they?ll keep selling me 4G phones and charging me for ?premium data? that I can never use. Has anybody successfully been able to use the ?I?m paying for premium data but not getting it? argument to be released from their contract?

Sprint's dial up network is known for this sadly. I had them up until a few months ago. I know have att and I have no real issues with my data. Plus as you may know...Network speeds to change due to location. Either way! You sadly get what you pay for. Id rather pay an extra $10 a month knowing that y network will work 90% of the time!

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Sprint. Any time you have a lot of people in one location connecting to the same towers, you'll have problems.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

If you would have had an S3 thru AT&T you would have had LTE. AT&T started their launch of LTE last week at the ballpark and airport for testing. At&T also had that GAS system at Miller Park to improve network congestion problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter what network you are on. Say you are at a event with 20k people all on the same network using these tower and say it has a 500mb back haul for example. If say 25 percent of that number were all trying to use data at the same time, what problem do you think they would have with data. There only a certain amount of connections a tower could handle. No matter what carrier it is.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter what network you are on. Say you are at a event with 20k people all on the same network using these tower and say it has a 500mb back haul for example. If say 25 percent of that number were all trying to use data at the same time, what problem do you think they would have with data. There only a certain amount of connections a tower could handle. No matter what carrier it is.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Very true. AT&T has HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul. It also installed the DAS system (distributed antenna system) at Miller Park and Airport to deal with those issues. AT&T is also the only carrier to have a pure GSM system

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

speedblurr

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. I have great reception at both Citizens Bank Park and Lincoln Financial Field in Philly. I do have to ask, was the roof open or closed? Could have something to do with it, all the steel up over your heads. Not to mention all the other people using their phones. Just a thought?

Kash76

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I grew tired of these problems as well while my friend on Verizon had no issues. I have some switched to Verizon and I love the coverage and hate my bill :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
@Kash

That?s the most frustrating part. I can be at Miller Park sitting between a friend with Verizon and another with AT&T and while their phones are working perfectly fine, mines a brick. I?ve even noticed that my 3G data coverage at home in a suburb just NW of Milwaukee is spotty, at best. Last night I couldn?t even listen to Google Music while cutting the grass without it buffering 3-4 times per song. My GS 3 is blazing fast on my wi-fi network at home but essentially useless on Sprint?s 3G network. It?s really awesome that Sprint is willing charge me for ?premium data? even though I can barely even use their standard data.

Kash76

May 17, 2010
Visit site
@Kash

That?s the most frustrating part. I can be at Miller Park sitting between a friend with Verizon and another with AT&T and while their phones are working perfectly fine, mines a brick. I?ve even noticed that my 3G data coverage at home in a suburb just NW of Milwaukee is spotty, at best. Last night I couldn?t even listen to Google Music while cutting the grass without it buffering 3-4 times per song. My GS 3 is blazing fast on my wi-fi network at home but essentially useless on Sprint?s 3G network. It?s really awesome that Sprint is willing charge me for ?premium data? even though I can barely even use their standard data.

Yep, that was the nail in the coffin for me, I was at work and couldn't sustain enough data speed to stream audio on 3G and was inside so WiMax didn't work. It has gotten worse in the Minneapolis market, my friends are sometimes lucky to get 100k down :-( my Verizon 3g usually beats their WiMax!

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk.