Other that unlimited data, why stay with Sprint?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Our contract (wife and I) is up in a Oct and we are trying to figure out what to do. We were planning on staying with Sprint since LTE is supposed to be here (SF Bay Area) in the next few months. However, service in our area has dropped off considerably in the last few months, with some people not receiving phone calls or text messages. As a results, we have started to look at alternatives.

As a part of my analysis of the options I checked our current usage and found that we do not really use that much. Over the last year we have averaged approx 500 MB/month. This on my EVO 4G and my wife's Samsung Epic. This is under the 2 GB/month base tier of Verizon and AT&T.

Our monthly costs on Sprint are around $170. I went to Verizion web site and look at plans for two phones they show a monthly cost of $160 with 2GB/month. I am sure this without taxes so I would expect the real cost to be closer to $180/mo.

So given Sprint's poor service and similar costs the only reason I can see to stay with Sprint is because of unlimited data. But since we are not using that much data does that even matter?

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Data will matter when you can use it and it us faster you use more. Virsion has a data calculator on thire website

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
If its not that important to you, then drop them. Why waste money on poor coverage if you can get similar service at about the same price, but with actual service?

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
One thing that might help is update your prl and profile to get faster more reliable speeds. Especially since you are getting your network worked on currently.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Our contract (wife and I) is up in a Oct and we are trying to figure out what to do. We were planning on staying with Sprint since LTE is supposed to be here (SF Bay Area) in the next few months. However, service in our area has dropped off considerably in the last few months, with some people not receiving phone calls or text messages. As a results, we have started to look at alternatives.

As a part of my analysis of the options I checked our current usage and found that we do not really use that much. Over the last year we have averaged approx 500 MB/month. This on my EVO 4G and my wife's Samsung Epic. This is under the 2 GB/month base tier of Verizon and AT&T.

Our monthly costs on Sprint are around $170. I went to Verizion web site and look at plans for two phones they show a monthly cost of $160 with 2GB/month. I am sure this without taxes so I would expect the real cost to be closer to $180/mo.

So given Sprint's poor service and similar costs the only reason I can see to stay with Sprint is because of unlimited data. But since we are not using that much data does that even matter?

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That's the way I look at it anyway. I'm a data hog though. Use a lot of it in the course of a month.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Who cares about Sprint's "Unlimited dial data service". Get whatever the best coverage is in your area. If the $10 - $20 a month more per month isn't a big deal to you. I can tell you first hand its worth it!

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Who cares about Sprint's "Unlimited dial data service". Get whatever the best coverage is in your area. If the $10 - $20 a month more per month isn't a big deal to you. I can tell you first hand its worth it!

I'm leaving Sprint precisely for this reason, after being a customer of 11 years. Phoenix metro continues to get screwed over with Sprint's 4G deployment; we never got WiMAX and they're only "considering" LTE expansion here. Even the voice signal on my last three devices have been hit or miss at best.

And it goes without saying that their 3G data service is abysmally slow. $90 per month for this? It's upsetting.

ubigred

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Great question. There aren't any good answers.

As soon as my 27% discount is up with Sprint, I'm going to Verizon.

Sent from my SGS3!

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It is interesting in the Verizon forums they talk about being feed up with Verizon taking away their unlimited data and moving to Sprint. Here we are fed up with poor service and slow data and are moving to Verizon. You would think that one of these carriers would have it all....:-!

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned previously, it's all location. I'm in the NE suburbs of Atlanta, one of the first to get Sprint's new LTE. I now have fast LTE literally everywhere I go AND unlimited data. I've truly got it all.

Sent from my Asus Nexus 7 tablet.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
It is interesting in the Verizon forums they talk about being feed up with Verizon taking away their unlimited data and moving to Sprint. Here we are fed up with poor service and slow data and are moving to Verizon. You would think that one of these carriers would have it all....:-!

In the last two years I've had both sprint and Verizon. Sprint is crap. It's crap in nyc, it's crap in new Hampshire, it's crap in Pennsylvania, it's crap in Disney World, it's crap in downtown Boston, it's crap in almost every town in Massachusetts. And I'm sorry, just because one person on here is happy with their lte, I'm not buying it.

*** and I'm referring to data which I use a lot more than making calls. Making calls was fine since a lot of the time you end up roaming on Verizon anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
In the last two years I've had both sprint and Verizon. Sprint is crap. It's crap in nyc, it's crap in new Hampshire, it's crap in Pennsylvania, it's crap in Disney World, it's crap in downtown Boston, it's crap in almost every town in Massachusetts. And I'm sorry, just because one person on here is happy with their lte, I'm not buying it.

*** and I'm referring to data which I use a lot more than making calls. Making calls was fine since a lot of the time you end up roaming on Verizon anyway.

Sprint is just starting their LTE rollout to be finished by the end of 2013. Of course you are correct. LTE and enhanced 3G are not yet available in any of the locations you mention. This is public information.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I find it funny how much people complain about data speeds. Most places now have Wi-Fi, so I myself am on Wi-Fi 90% of the time so the slower Sprint data speeds aren't really a factor for me.

As far as cost, $20 a month adds up over time, but everyone has to judge that for themselves. But I see enough complaining on Big Red's forum to know that the grass isn't always greener.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I find it funny how much people complain about data speeds. Most places now have Wi-Fi, so I myself am on Wi-Fi 90% of the time so the slower Sprint data speeds aren't really a factor for me.

As far as cost, $20 a month adds up over time, but everyone has to judge that for themselves. But I see enough complaining on Big Red's forum to know that the grass isn't always greener.

You could save even more money with a prepaid MVNO...

There's almost no point to Sprint anymore if you're not blessed with LTE. Harsh but true.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
You could save even more money with a prepaid MVNO...

There's almost no point to Sprint anymore if you're not blessed with LTE. Harsh but true.

Not if you have five lines like myself, as well as wanting the latest phone when it comes out. Prepaids have to wait for the latest phones, so yes there is very much a point to Sprint. Also, if Sprint goes away don't think the others won't raise their prices. Harsh but true.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I want to like Sprint, I really do. But it was very frustrating being with them. My data speeds were so bad that I really couldn't do simple things like stream Pandora during my morning commute to work. I couldn't use the voice to text feature on my phones because that uses data. My Google Voice wouldn't work a lot of the time because I had no data. It had gotten really bad. Finally, I had to give it up and go to Verizon. Now Verizon was a lot better, but the reception in my office wasn't the best. I then switched to AT&T and I couldn't be happier. AT&T has come a long way. I used to have them when I got my first phone and had them for almost ten years after that. But then I switched because their customer service sucked so badly. Now I am back and I can say that I haven't experienced the dropped calls that I used to when I had them before. Plus the data speeds are really fast. it is a bit pricey, but I think that you have to pay for good service nowadays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Not if you have five lines like myself, as well as wanting the latest phone when it comes out. Prepaids have to wait for the latest phones, so yes there is very much a point to Sprint. Also, if Sprint goes away don't think the others won't raise their prices. Harsh but true.

GSM prepaids don't have to wait.

I can understand the family plan point though.

The other carriers raised their prices regardless of Sprint's existence. Don't think for a second that Sprint is keeping Verizon and AT&T in check. T-Mobile keeps itself in check due to inferior coverage compared to V & A. Sprint's poor data and inferior coverage is what keeps its price down. It'd be higher too if it could.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I want to like Sprint, I really do. But it was very frustrating being with them. My data speeds were so bad that I really couldn't do simple things like stream Pandora during my morning commute to work. I couldn't use the voice to text feature on my phones because that uses data. My Google Voice wouldn't work a lot of the time because I had no data. It had gotten really bad. Finally, I had to give it up and go to Verizon. Now Verizon was a lot better, but the reception in my office wasn't the best. I then switched to AT&T and I couldn't be happier. AT&T has come a long way. I used to have them when I got my first phone and had them for almost ten years after that. But then I switched because their customer service sucked so badly. Now I am back and I can say that I haven't experienced the dropped calls that I used to when I had them before. Plus the data speeds are really fast. it is a bit pricey, but I think that you have to pay for good service nowadays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How's the voice quality? I have such a hard time understanding people when they call me and have att. But maybe it's because I have Verizon? I can tell when someone with an iphone calls me with att and not Verizon because of the quality difference.

ubigred

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned previously, it's all location. I'm in the NE suburbs of Atlanta, one of the first to get Sprint's new LTE. I now have fast LTE literally everywhere I go AND unlimited data. I've truly got it all.

Hesse is that you?

Sent from my SGS3!