Other that unlimited data, why stay with Sprint?

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
How's the voice quality? I have such a hard time understanding people when they call me and have att. But maybe it's because I have Verizon? I can tell when someone with an iphone calls me with att and not Verizon because of the quality difference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Funny you mention that. It seems to me that Verizon customers are the ones I have the most difficulty understanding.

I've been told that when I had Sprint, my voice was clear and full as if on a landline. On AT&T (Straight Talk actually), I'm told that it's clear but distant. I'm using essentially the same phone (Epic 4G on Sprint, Captivate on ST) so I don't think it's the device itself.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Funny you mention that. It seems to me that Verizon customers are the ones I have the most difficulty understanding.

I've been told that when I had Sprint, my voice was clear and full as if on a landline. On AT&T (Straight Talk actually), I'm told that it's clear but distant. I'm using essentially the same phone (Epic 4G on Sprint, Captivate on ST) so I don't think it's the device itself.

Same here with sprint call quality. That was the only thing good about sprint.

Fubie

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't trust anything Sprint has to say about roll outs and it will be finished. I've been "hanging in there" with Sprint for the last 2 years hoping for 4G in my home town (Springfield, MO) only to have unreliable, spotty 4G in select areas of town but the 3G has dropped to incredibly poor data rates less than 50kbps download with pings greater than 1000ms. You can't do anything at these rates. Yes that has been the last 2 years. I haven't seen anything showing that my area will have LTE by the end of 2013. It's frustrating as hell to support Sprint as I have only to see nothing new in return...

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't trust anything Sprint has to say about roll outs and it will be finished. I've been "hanging in there" with Sprint for the last 2 years hoping for 4G in my home town (Springfield, MO) only to have unreliable, spotty 4G in select areas of town but the 3G has dropped to incredibly poor data rates less than 50kbps download with pings greater than 1000ms. You can't do anything at these rates. Yes that has been the last 2 years. I haven't seen anything showing that my area will have LTE by the end of 2013. It's frustrating as hell to support Sprint as I have only to see nothing new in return...

I know your pain. For a while, Sprint had a couple of test towers up for WiMAX (I think they have since been shut down) in Phoenix, but both of them covered obscure 2-mile radius sections of town I never go to. I'm getting about 90 kbps down on average on my Epic 4G (original slider). And over the last couple of years, my call quality has gotten worse at home and I've been dropping calls frequently.

After 11 years with Sprint, it's time for me to go. In fact, I've got an unlocked GNex on the way. Can't wait. My roommate is pulling down around 5-6Mbps over HSPA+ on his T-Mobile phone (I think he has the LG G2X), which is a far cry from what I'm getting.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Normally I want any business to succeed. More competition is always good for the consumer. Now with all of that being said, I could care less if Sprint went belly up tomorrow. I went from having spotty coverage to having now coverage at all. There was a bad storm in my area on 9/04/12. Both Sprint and Verizon's service went down around 1800 hrs(probably shared the same tower). Verizon was back up at midnight. I call Sprint everyday asking what is up. All I get is some response saying that they will be back up at midnight. This is everyday for 8 days straight. Finally on 9/12/04 the say that the parts that they ordered will not be in until the 13th. I say if you can't provide me service then let me port my number and be out of my contract. Their reply was that they can not do that. How pathetic is that?

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I left Verizon and my unlimited data for Sprint and the first Evo 4G. Well let me tell you, big mistake for me. I'm in Alabama and while their was 4G in the acutal store there wasn't anywhere else. My 3g was lacking and I didn't always receive phone calls and text messages like I did with Verizon. I ended up going BACK to Verizon about a month later, but by then it was past the July unlimited data cutoff date so I was I had to suck it up and pay the same fee for 2gb. Luckily I've never gone over 2gb :) until recently I started to tether my tablet to my phone so I've bumped it up to 5gb. After it was all said and done I was only paying 10 less at Sprint for not so awesome service. If the service is bad, I say move on brother :)

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Normally I want any business to succeed. More competition is always good for the consumer. Now with all of that being said, I could care less if Sprint went belly up tomorrow. I went from having spotty coverage to having now coverage at all. There was a bad storm in my area on 9/04/12. Both Sprint and Verizon's service went down around 1800 hrs(probably shared the same tower). Verizon was back up at midnight. I call Sprint everyday asking what is up. All I get is some response saying that they will be back up at midnight. This is everyday for 8 days straight. Finally on 9/12/04 the say that the parts that they ordered will not be in until the 13th. I say if you can't provide me service then let me port my number and be out of my contract. Their reply was that they can not do that. How pathetic is that?

Never had a problem with Verizon and never heard of a tower being down until I switched to Sprint. Even before they started that network Vision crap everytime I called about not having service, a tower was down. I guess they need to say something other than sorry our service really does suck.

4 Star General

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm so done with Sprint, after 10+yrs of Unl Everything Pkg. Unless ur connected thru wifi ur data service is garbage, so regardless of how good a phone(My list: BB Curve, BB Tour, Samsung Moment, OG Evo, Epic 4G, S II, SIII) you actually have you will nvr get anything close to its potential out of it. So with that being said, as soon as the Galaxy Note 2 drops, I'm hdd to Vz, and their unl talk/txt w/6g pkg as and enjoy 4G LTE service all day.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

ubigred

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm so done with Sprint, after 10+yrs of Unl Everything Pkg. Unless ur connected thru wifi ur data service is garbage, so regardless of how good a phone you actually have you will nvr get anything close to its potential out of it. So with that being said, I'm hdd to Vz, and their unl talk/txt w/6g pkg and enjoy 4G LTE service all day.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Tempting....

Sent from my SGS3!

lcchick

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I think that a lot of the call dropping has to do with the phone too, i had a BB tour and then a BB style both on Sprint. Neither dropped a call and both had great call quality. I switched to an Epic 4g slider and the call quality is not nearly what i got with either blackberry. It also drops calls, if they would make apps for my banking and stores etc for the blackberry, I'd get rid of the Epic in a heartbeat.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I think that a lot of the call dropping has to do with the phone too, i had a BB tour and then a BB style both on Sprint. Neither dropped a call and both had great call quality. I switched to an Epic 4g slider and the call quality is not nearly what i got with either blackberry. It also drops calls, if they would make apps for my banking and stores etc for the blackberry, I'd get rid of the Epic in a heartbeat.

Yeah, my Epic 4G slider was pretty terrible as an actual phone, too...frequent dropped calls. I'm fairly certain that it's due to a crummy antenna design because the GPS never worked very well, either (it would get stuck in "searching for satellite" 75% of the time). And then, being limited to very slow 3G data speeds in my area didn't make the experience a whole lot better.

lcchick

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, my Epic 4G slider was pretty terrible as an actual phone, too...frequent dropped calls. I'm fairly certain that it's due to a crummy antenna design because the GPS never worked very well, either (it would get stuck in "searching for satellite" 75% of the time). And then, being limited to very slow 3G data speeds in my area didn't make the experience a whole lot better.

I don't even use the gps. I am eyeing up the Photon Q (i despise typing on touchscreen phones) but don't know if I want to sign on for 2 more years....

foldingdude

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Just switched from Verizon and loving it. Better signal better customer service and better plans and prices.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't even use the gps. I am eyeing up the Photon Q (i despise typing on touchscreen phones) but don't know if I want to sign on for 2 more years....

Well, I used to despise typing on touchscreen keyboards myself, but that was back when touchscreen keyboards were pretty crummy. I've found that the stock keyboards in ICS and JB are actually quite good (maybe not quite as good as what the iPhone has, but very usable). Unfortunately, top-end devices with hardware keyboards are becoming more and more rare. The hardware keyboard was the main selling point for me when I bought my Epic over the HTC Evo 4G a couple years back. But again, this was back when the stock touch keyboards on Android were terrible.

lcchick

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I used to despise typing on touchscreen keyboards myself, but that was back when touchscreen keyboards were pretty crummy. I've found that the stock keyboards in ICS and JB are actually quite good (maybe not quite as good as what the iPhone has, but very usable). Unfortunately, top-end devices with hardware keyboards are becoming more and more rare. .

My problem is that I'm a blackberry lover through and through. I love their keyboard and typing on it is like heaven--I use my cell phone for 90% texting/email and 10% talking. I have tried time and time again to use my husband's iphone and I just end up hitting random letters and having so many problems. Truth told, I don't love the Epic's keyboard and I make more mistakes typing on it than on the BB. I am trying to hold out for BB10 w/QWERTY but I still think that the app gap will be too large for me to be able to go back *sigh*. I thought about trying to find a used/refurbished XPRT to see if I liked typing on that but haven't moved on that yet. It DOES totally suck that physical keyboards are going the way of the rotary phone... :(

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Chicago is finally improving now after six months of poor service....lte has launched and speeds are ridiculous and I'm actually getting my calls and texts now....glad I stuck it out ....my gs3 is nice too....

---------- Post Merged at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Chicago is finally improving now after six months of poor service....lte has launched and speeds are ridiculous and I'm actually getting my calls and texts now....glad I stuck it out ....my gs3 is nice too....

---------- Post Merged at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Fubie

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I'm glad to see you only had to wait 6 months it's been several years here with no improvement. After roming my LTEVO I realized that all of the crap service was due to towers dropping back to 1XRTT. That means they are either over loaded (likely) or faulting out and dropping to 1XRTT. So Sprint is cramming even more data hungry users onto the same low density towers and doing nothing to improve the situation. I am dubious that I will experience LTE in my home town, even at the stated 2013 deadline or even a hint of improved 3G with the so called "Network Vision" upgrade. Unlimited data doesn't mean squat if you can't download anything. And saying use Wifi is crap if I am paying for cellular data.

I am amazed that being such an ardent supporter of Sprint I and many, many users have been left in the cold.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad to see you only had to wait 6 months it's been several years here with no improvement. After roming my LTEVO I realized that all of the crap service was due to towers dropping back to 1XRTT. That means they are either over loaded (likely) or faulting out and dropping to 1XRTT. So Sprint is cramming even more data hungry users onto the same low density towers and doing nothing to improve the situation. I am dubious that I will experience LTE in my home town, even at the stated 2013 deadline or even a hint of improved 3G with the so called "Network Vision" upgrade. Unlimited data doesn't mean squat if you can't download anything. And saying use Wifi is crap if I am paying for cellular data.

I am amazed that being such an ardent supporter of Sprint I and many, many users have been left in the cold.

That's why I left Sprint. Same crap here in Phoenix (slow/spotty 3G, frequent dropped calls). But seeing that you have an EVO 4G LTE, you probably have a pretty big chunk of your contract remaining. :p

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
From what I have read on this site and on Sprint's community, a lot of people are leaving once their contract is up. I am leaving Sprint when my contract is down to 6 months or less. Right now I have about a year left. It should be against the law to even charge us for the service we are getting. It is that bad.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
It's getting pretty bad here too in North Carolina. Slow 3G, drops down to 1X, 50% off the time the phone won't even ring and I just get a missed call notification. I'm like, WTF, the phone was sitting right next to me! Idk, it's like they are going backward with their data network. We're paying extra $10/month for 4G and honestly I've used it maybe 4 times in two years because the coverage just isn't there.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruchi Chandel