Upgrading With Sprint

kgbj83

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know how to go about getting an early upgrade with Sprint? I want to get my account ready for the release of the Note 2 hopefully.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree that you should just call and ask, but I think they recently have made it harder to get early upgrades.

But I'm pretty sure they offer a contract buyout option. If they won't give you an early upgrade, you can ask about buying out your contract. The cost varies depending on how long is left in your contract.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
They recently changed the buyout option to what's called 'buy now'. You will either pay $50 or $100 depending on how long is left in your current contract. You have to call detentions to ask for it. They charge that amount to your bill and makes you upgrade eligible that day.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
It could be $350 depending on when your contract is up or I and many others would be paying $50 to $100 every few months to get the new top of the line phones and Sprint would be bankrupt real quick.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

kgbj83

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all. I've been trying over the past few days to get to the retentions department but no luck. They keep giving me the same old "your contract isn't up" and "you can use the Sprint Buy Back program". I just want to be ready for the Note 2.

Last edited:

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all. I've been trying over the past few days to get to the detentions department but no luck. They keep giving me the same old "your contract isn't up" and "you can use the Sprint Buy Back program". I just want to be ready for the Note 2.

If you threaten to cancel your account then customer service should automatically transfer you to retentions. Or you can ask for them. You can even find the direct number online. But from what I understand they have cracked down on giving away early upgrades.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes early upgrades are a thing of the past unless you find that one needle in the haystack of a representative willing to override the system.

They will let you do a buy out of your remaining time on your current contract to get your upgrade now. That is the common option they offer now.

Otherwise 14 days early (free) push up of your upgrade is the only thing they have left.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

kgbj83

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes they allowed me to buy out the remainder of my contract on one of my lines with no problem when I got the GSIII but they say that option is no longer available. Then again I had the direct number to retentions when I did so.

Last edited:

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I just went through this less than a month ago with my wife's line, plus I also did the same thing (buy out) with my own line. My line was $50 to buy it out..wife's was $100 to buy out.

The mix-up is coming in when you call a Sprint store. First time, with my line, they said that the $50 would be added to my next bill. Paid in-store for the phone though, $199.

My contract on that line was due up at the end of July, so as of August 1st, had I waited, I would've been able to get the contract price, but I got my SGS3 on July 19.

Her's was due to be renewed on November 1...we got her upgrade on September 5 or so..it was $100. I asked about my 3rd line, which isn't due for an upgrade until December 1..they said that one would be $175...

so it all depends on how long is left in your current contract. And depending on the store, they may/may not put the buy-out fee on your bill. When we did my wife's phone, we went to the same store, and we had to pay the $100 in-store, instead of it being put on my bill. Not sure why, and didn't really say much about it..either way I still had to pay it.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
It goes down $20 every other month or every month I think, and the last six months is $50

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
My post wasn't read completely. My upgrade was due August 1, got it on July 19. Fee was $50. Wife's was due for upgrade November 1, we got hers on September 5, fee was $100. I also checked on my 3rd line, it's due for upgrade on December 1, on September 5 the fee was $175.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21